First Name
Sandra Bartell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Wildtrack
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Looking for snow tire setup for my new Bronco Wildtrack. I have heard either the Nokian LT3 or BFG All Terrain KO2. Is anyone actually using either of these setups on a Bronco Wildtrack? If so, how does it handle ice? Please and thank you.
Sponsored

campbebc

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Focus RS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I am looking for snow tires for new Bronco Wildtrack. I have heard either the Nokian LT3 or BFG All-terrain KO2 do well. Does anyone out there have either of these set ups on a Wiltrack? If so, how does it handle ice?
I have KO2 and they've been solid in snow in CO.

campbebc

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Focus RS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thank you Ben. And the KO2 are studded, correct?
They are not, mine are just the standard ones off a Badlands trim. They may make a studded version but I don’t have them.

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2 different tires. The Nokian is a true winter tire, the KO2 is just an AT tire. For winter use Nokian all the way, don't run them over ~40 degrees unless you like wearing tires out fast.

Nothing handles ice, but a studded Nokian does better than most anything. Ran them on our Jeep up to Tuktoyaktuk in winter of 2020. We ran out to Aklavik on the winter road (frozen river graded for traffic). Let's say we exceeded the speed limit :cool: and they did great. Also did a slalom course on the frozen Yukon River in Dawson, needless to say it was fun, but didn't do very well...
Ford Bronco Snow tires for Wildtrak? 20200302_163544

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not a huge fan of snow-specific tires... but I do like a good set of All-Terrain tires that are really good in the snow. My favorite two:
  • BFG KO2 — happens to be the standard tire on Badlands trim
  • Falken Wildpeak AT3W
And a new tire that is due to launch any day now (now mid-2022 :() that I'm keeping my eye on...
  • Milestar Patagonia A/T Pro

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not a huge fan of snow-specific tires... but I do like a good set of All-Terrain tires that are really good in the snow.
An AT/MT tire is "okay" in snow, but they are nothing compared to a dedicated snow tire. I've got the KO2's on my Badlands and they're "okay" in the snow, but we've had a very mild winter here so far.

There is no such thing as a magic tire, any purpose-built tire is going to excel at that purpose (mud tires, snow tires, etc) versus a "jack of all trades" tire.

A pure snow tire is going to provide much better grip, particularly on ice, than an AT or MT, especially when the temperatures drop below zero.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have KO2's on my Raptor. They are good in fresh unpacked snow. If it's packed or icy at all they are not good. When my Wildtrak arrives I will have a set of the studded Nokians for dedicated winter tires. I will run the GY's for spring/summer until they die.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

An AT/MT tire is "okay" in snow, but they are nothing compared to a dedicated snow tire. I've got the KO2's on my Badlands and they're "okay" in the snow, but we've had a very mild winter here so far.

There is no such thing as a magic tire, any purpose-built tire is going to excel at that purpose (mud tires, snow tires, etc) versus a "jack of all trades" tire.

A pure snow tire is going to provide much better grip, particularly on ice, than an AT or MT, especially when the temperatures drop below zero.
Yeah, I completely agree.

And if I lived in a place that had guaranteed snow for several months of the year or if I lived in a rural area that didn't scrape/salt/sand/gravel their roads to death every winter... I would definitely look at dedicated snow tires—probably would get studded tires actually.

But in most populated areas of North America—including my area in New England—the roads are usually maintained enough that it makes more sense to just get a solid set of 3PMSF rated All-Terrains and call it a day. Both the BFG KO2 and Wildpeak AT3W have earned the 3-peak rating.

Sponsored

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, I completely agree.

And if I lived in a place that had guaranteed snow for several months of the year or if I lived in a rural area that didn't scrape/salt/sand/gravel their roads to death every winter... I would definitely look at dedicated snow tires—probably would get studded tires actually.

But in most populated areas of North America—including my area in New England—the roads are usually maintained enough that it makes more sense to just get a solid set of 3PMSF rated All-Terrains and call it a day. Both the BFG KO2 and Wildpeak AT3W have earned the 3-peak rating.
For being so close to Atlantic Canada, geographically, New England must have a lot better DOT than we do. Anything outside of a city/town or the main highways is going to be snow/ice packed for the majority of the winter up here.

PonyHunter

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have the Nokian LT3 set up on my Base Sasquatch in Northern Michigan and it has been an absolute tank so far in snow and ice. Hoping for more snow to really see full capabilities as its been pretty mild so far.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For being so close to Atlantic Canada, geographically, New England must have a lot better DOT than we do. Anything outside of a city/town or the main highways is going to be snow/ice packed for the majority of the winter up here.
Honestly I wish they were bad at their jobs so they would stop spraying that super corrosive brine spray on the roads. But yeah... I live in a suburban-ish area, so it isn't too bad.

Used to live near Durango, Colorado and they weren't bad either despite being fairly rural and in the Rocky Mountains. But... Durango's economy is heavily dependent on winter tourism (namely skiing), so not too surprising they put a lot of effort into the roads. OP (@sweiland) is from Telluride according to their profile... and I'm sure Telluride is much like Durango.

Haven't been to New Brunswick in the winter, but there have been times I was driving around the farmland in Quebec/Ontario and the roads felt like it was basically a survival of the fittest.

clhman

Wildtrak
First Name
Conor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Super-Duty
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The stock Goodyears actually handle really well in the snow.

Ford Bronco Snow tires for Wildtrak? 0888CF22-83FF-40FD-8645-C8D3CD5E8B7B
I second this comment. I'm a huge KO2 fan, but one week in the stock Sas GY's have been amazing. Heavy snow, black ice, packed ice and blowing snow all in the last few days. I'm not wasting money on dedicated winter tires and I drive on the white stuff 6 months out of the year.
Sponsored