First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The Bronco(Wildtrak) will be my daily for 20-22k miles each year(maybe not the best bet- oh well). There will be days commuting with snow/ice on the ground. I've always run Pirelli Sottozero 3s on my VW Golf R, minimal sacrifices on dry pavement and it was a tank(ground clearance limited) on snow covered roads.

How does one approach snow tires for an off-road oriented 4x4? Tire Rack doesn't have the snow tire/wheel combos up yet- does anyone know the wheel offset and lug pattern requirement for the bronco? Brake clearances?

What light truck snow tires has the group had positive experience with?
Sponsored

martyb

Badlands
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra Denali, VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most non-mountain state people just run a 3-peak rated All Terrain tire.....

jalexa27

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 impala
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Bronco(Wildtrak) will be my daily for 20-22k miles each year(maybe not the best bet- oh well). There will be days commuting with snow/ice on the ground. I've always run Pirelli Sottozero 3s on my VW Golf R, minimal sacrifices on dry pavement and it was a tank(ground clearance limited) on snow covered roads.

How does one approach snow tires for an off-road oriented 4x4? Tire Rack doesn't have the snow tire/wheel combos up yet- does anyone know the wheel offset and lug pattern requirement for the bronco? Brake clearances?

What light truck snow tires has the group had positive experience with?
I have driving a Porsche Cayenne for the past 6 years in the winter and have played with "all season" vs "all weather" - a snow flake rated tire.

Honestly, I love turning off the parental control and doing donuts. So I selfishly decided for the all seasons. The snow flake rated tire has too much traction in the winter for my liking. As a Minnesota driver, I do my fair share of ice and snow driving.

In short, any tire with a snow flake rating should suit you just fine.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like the BFG All-Terrain KO2.

Look for the mountain/snowflake designation. Just look for the stock size for your vehicle. Tire Rack is a good resource, but there are others, Discount Tire for example.

• 3-Peak Mountain Snowflake Rating (exceeding the Rubber Manufacturer Association's requirements for traction in severe snow and winter weather).

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/bfgoodrich-all-terrain-t-a-ko2

BEM-S4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs & Porsches
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Iā€™ve debated often and usually land on dedicated winters since your warm weather tires end up lasting twice as long it doesnā€™t end up costing a heck of a lot. Iā€™ve been told Blizzak DM-V2 are quite a good option for the Bronco.

Sponsored
OP
OP
JTK37

JTK37

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
As far as width still better to go narrower than standard?

The 3-peak is the only thing to really look for

Ford Bronco Snow Tires - Wildtrak 1623090301982

I'd love a set of gloss black steelies for winter, still need to track that down

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Just get some Duratracs ... an outstanding all around tire and excellent in the snow.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
As far as width still better to go narrower than standard?
That's something you'll see people argue about all the time but no one ever quantifies. Stick with stock tire sizes to make it easy.

Iā€™ve debated often and usually land on dedicated winters since your warm weather tires end up lasting twice as long it doesnā€™t end up costing a heck of a lot. Iā€™ve been told Blizzak DM-V2 are quite a good option for the Bronco.
There aren't really any options for a dedicated snow tire in the stock Sasquatch size. Nokian has one but it's studded only.

If you want to keep the stock 35" size you'll have to stick with a 3-peak snowflake tire and deal with a harder compound that doesn't handle hard pack/ice as well as a dedicated winter tire compound.

More snow tire arguments discussion:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/best-tire-set-up-for-snow.4477/

Mud-terrains vs. highway tires vs. all-terrains vs. snows:

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/03/winter-tire-test-some-treads-are-better-than-others.html

In short, the snow tires stopped 12 feet sooner than the snow-rated K02 BFGs, they accelerated faster, and they held more cornering Gs. All of that means your safety margin in snowy weather is higher and you can better react to any circumstance.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BEM-S4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs & Porsches
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There aren't really any options for a dedicated snow tire in the stock Sasquatch size. Nokian has one but it's studded only.
Ahhh... I am BD non-Sasquatch so only paying attention to stuff that would work for me. I'm going to have my dealer order me 3 extra steelies, ditch my spare all season tire and have 4 "summers" and 4 winters, the DM-V2. I'll have a spare stock tire in the garage I suppose.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ahhh... I am BD non-Sasquatch so only paying attention to stuff that would work for me. I'm going to have my dealer order me 3 extra steelies, ditch my spare all season tire and have 4 "summers" and 4 winters, the DM-V2. I'll have a spare stock tire in the garage I suppose.
Yeah I run the DM-V2 on my wife's SUV and I'm planning to get a set for my truck this year, too. Great tires!

Brianstrange

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 EB , 67 Stang, 77 GMC Motorhome, A6 3.0T, W211
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would be shopping for a narrow tire with good snow ratings.

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I run Blizzaks on almost everything else and absolutely love them, but with the tire size with my SAS Bronco I'll be running the Nokian LT3, which you can just not get studded and have a fantastic winter tire. I'll be running studs though as they are allowed here from 10/15-5/1 and help with the ice rinks we call streets half the year.
Sponsored