Tswag

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After driving in 4A, I detect a burning smell; also, there's a noticeable drag on the driveline while in 4A, which one can feel while driving (more throttle input to get/keep going) - switching back to 2H regains a detectable "spring in the steps" for the Bronco.
When in 4A, the hubs(or whatever they are calling what locks the wheels to the half-shaves) are locked, so the half-shaves and the front drive shaft spin with the wheel, whether or not the transfer case clutch is engaged. This does create a slight drag o the driveline and is noticeable. It also contributes to the reduced fuel economy in 4A vs 2H.

In slippery mode, the Traction control is "Enhanced" see table below:

Here is a full estimated breakdown of the terrain Management System in the new Bronco aka G.O.A.T. mode.

keep in mind these are only assists. And can be manually adjusted if you so choose.
392F297D-45DA-476E-88B5-ED8777A6DD26.jpeg

also doing some digging. Couldn’t really find a big difference between mud and sand. I’m guessing mud is going to be more aggressive.

I'm tempted to write my whole blurb on 4WD here but many have already done it in this and other posts, so I won't.
Sponsored

WheelMe

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When in 4A, the hubs(or whatever they are calling what locks the wheels to the half-shaves) are locked, so the half-shaves and the front drive shaft spin with the wheel, whether or not the transfer case clutch is engaged. This does create a slight drag o the driveline and is noticeable. It also contributes to the reduced fuel economy in 4A vs 2H.

In slippery mode, the Traction control is "Enhanced" see table below:

I'm tempted to write my whole blurb on 4WD here but many have already done it in this and other posts, so I won't.
Great resource with the tables, thank you. It's curious, though, that the table indicates the FR Lock as available for locking in Mud/Ruts mode; in fact, I haven't been able to activate the FR locker in that Mud/Ruts mode, and have had to resort to the Rock Crawl mode for locking FR - is the table incorrect?

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I believe you can only lock the front in 4L. In Mud/Ruts it defaults to 4H, but you probably can put it into 4L

WheelMe

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I believe you can only lock the front in 4L. In Mud/Ruts it defaults to 4H, but you probably can put it into 4L
I see. I generally stay in 4H for as long as I can, so 4L usage has been rare for me. Thanks for the tip; I'll give it a try.

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, 4L unlocks the fun stuff. It also has the benefit of helping with lower auto transmission temps. May not be as much of an issue with these vehicles but in my '96 3g 4runner it lowers them by ~30 degrees. Sucks on the fuel mileage though...

Sponsored

Tswag

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great resource with the tables, thank you. It's curious, though, that the table indicates the FR Lock as available for locking in Mud/Ruts mode; in fact, I haven't been able to activate the FR locker in that Mud/Ruts mode, and have had to resort to the Rock Crawl mode for locking FR - is the table incorrect?
Not fully sure, I haven't had the chance to mess with my lockers, but it is probably when you change it into 4L. The tables list the default settings it goes into those modes, but you can change some options while staying in the mode.

WheelMe

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not fully sure, I haven't had the chance to mess with my lockers, but it is probably when you change it into 4L. The tables list the default settings it goes into those modes, but you can change some options while staying in the mode.
Yup, I'll be testing it out in 4L - I'm pretty sure that's why I couldn't get the FR locker to activate.

Being deluged with lots of rain these days in Northern CA, I put the Bronco in Sport mode today, triggering 4A - boy was it fun, and no detected slippage on the wet pavement anywhere! it should rain more often.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Maybe you’re reading that in an outdated version of the owners manual. Either way, it does not say that anywhere in the newest version available. Here is what it shows:

94EB67E0-451A-498C-9EAF-21A15908C363.jpeg

Edit: Although even this is still slightly inaccurate, because if I remember correctly, 2H is selectable in slippery mode.
You nailed it. Ford changed the language in the Note at the end from "When using slippery mode..." to "Depending on 4wd mode selected" The rockstars discovered and fixed their error.

FleshTuxedo

Outer Banks
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 OBX 2dr.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I used Sport tonight and didn’t transfer it out of 4A to 2H, as it’s rainy. I noticed when making turns it was kind of grindy, which I would understand with 4H, but not a slow, not slippery turn in 4A. Something I should get looked at?

edit: didn’t realize this was 8 pages. Going to read through and see if I should be concerned.

Last edited:

HeHateMe

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So... 4A isn't AWD? 🤔

Sponsored

ET13

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
4A = Black magic /sssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Tswag

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

HeHateMe

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
No. Awd would require a center differential. The bronco has a transfer case with a clutch.
Potato, potatoe... 🤡

Tswag

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Potato, potatoe... 🤡
It's an entirely different operating principle. A great video was posted earlier in this thread on the Borg Warner transfer case. It is much different than a differential. This system can lock into true 4wd where most awd systems cannot. Yes when you add computers you could call 4a awd but it's not. You can't put more power to the front than to the back, where with some awd systems you can. Also 4a doesn't have a hand in left/right wheel power, that is still left up to traction control as in any drive mode.
Sponsored