Sponsored

So does anyone plan on just getting the soft top?

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`22 Wildtrak, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
All I see are thread after thread of people complaining about the MIC top being gray, or wondering the difference between the MIC top and the painted top, wanting a white top etc. It seems like the vast majority want a hard top and are not even considering the standard soft top. Is this accurate?

I for one, loved the sailcloth top on my JKU. It was reasonably quiet on a vehicle like this, water tight, and easy to drop down to go convertible. I had a hard top, but never used it because it was heavy, cumbersome, and a pain to deal with when you wanted a quick open air experience.

I have not totally decided where I want to go with the Bronco, mainly because Ford has not released many details on the soft top's function.
Sponsored

RLW

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Lexus GS 300, 2022 Badlands, 2022 Honda Odyss
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco So does anyone plan on just getting the soft top? 1602171386708

IF it looks like this. I am seriously considering just the soft top.
But I feel like every time we see new pics of preproduction broncos the tops look different. Hard tops and soft tops.
Different shades of gray on the hard tops and different looks/fit for the soft tops.

So who knows?

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No. Living here in CO, I have the soft top on my wrangler and its fine for me but the wife isn't going to want one for winters. Also, I'm 5'11 and have to stand on my rear tire to pull my soft top up and over the rollbars. Without knowing how the Bronco version will work, I'm just planning on ordering the dual top option since the 4dr comes with the soft top and you're forced into the dual top option (if that's still the case) when getting it painted. I'll turn around and sell the soft top.

OP
OP
ramblinwreck

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ford Bronco So does anyone plan on just getting the soft top? 1602171386708

IF it looks like this. I am seriously considering just the soft top.
But I feel like every time we see new pics of preproduction broncos the tops look different. Hard tops and soft tops.
Different shades of gray on the hard tops and different looks/fit for the soft tops.

So who knows?
I personally think the soft top looks great. At least it's black, and it doesn't run the price up by $3k or so that the painted hard top does.

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think most of the people complaining about MIC gray are future two door owners. I was pretty bummed out by the early pictures, but it has come to grow on me and I think I will be fine with it.

If I had the option to get soft top only, I would. I plan to move in the next year or so and I am not sure I will have somewhere to put the hard top when an aftermarket soft top comes out.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ramblinwreck

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I think most of the people complaining about MIC gray are future two door owners. I was pretty bummed out by the early pictures, but it has come to grow on me and I think I will be fine with it.

If I had the option to get soft top only, I would. I plan to move in the next year or so and I am not sure I will have somewhere to put the hard top when an aftermarket soft top comes out.
I wonder how long before hard tops litter craigslist for $1500 apiece like Jeep Hard tops do.

Yolobaggins

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It depends how easy the hard top comes off and how the soft top looks and if bestop will make some after market ones

I plan on switching to some type of soft eventually because I want the ease of open air experience

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wonder how long before hard tops litter craigslist for $1500 apiece like Jeep Hard tops do.
Only problem is there won't be much market for them on the two door unless it is the painted modular top. Everyone's two door Bronco will come with the MIC top and I am sure a good number of those people will want to ditch it when they get a soft top, but there's no demand.

Maybe after a few years and people's original tops being damaged beyond repair. I don't expect them to go for more than a few hundred if it's really a $700 option on the four door.

bmclain

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Explorer, 2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Going dual top. It's one of the reasons I want all my gray pieces in black and also the mod top in black.

Sponsored

618TRVLWILD

Big Bend
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Sasquatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Negative on the soft top here as well! I do already have a Alien Sunshade which happens to be gray? left over from my Wrangler. I'm sure I can make that work lol. I wouldn't mind having that cool Bestop Sunrider top though. I'm also going with a two door and I also live in the Midwest and when it snows I'm always working a 12 hour shift!

Ford Bronco So does anyone plan on just getting the soft top? 52452_main

PecOBX

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Jeep CJ7
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I am planning on just the sort top. I have had Jeeps in the past with hard and soft tops and prefer just the soft top. My plan is to use this for trips and the ability to take the soft top off for the drive and pack it in the back area while leaving room for luggage and supplies is important. My sense is that if I have the modular hard top when you take it off and stow it to go you lose storage room in the back. Plus, if the soft top goes on and off similar to a Jeep I can button the Bronco up in 5 mins if there is a quick weather change.

RLW

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Lexus GS 300, 2022 Badlands, 2022 Honda Odyss
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What I will likely end up doing is sticking with the soft top only that the 4 door comes with. See how I like it after a year.
If i want a hard top at that point I will buy one and sell the soft top. I know I don't want to store both and won't switch back and forth.
If I get the hard top later down the line I will most likely get a "bikini" style soft top that is easily on off and small to store when not in use.

The idea of having a hardtop sounds nice, but needing 2 people to take it on and off means it will stay on 95% of the time.

OP
OP
ramblinwreck

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Only problem is there won't be much market for them on the two door unless it is the painted modular top. Everyone's two door Bronco will come with the MIC top and I am sure a good number of those people will want to ditch it when they get a soft top, but there's no demand.

Maybe after a few years and people's original tops being damaged beyond repair. I don't expect them to go for more than a few hundred if it's really a $700 option on the four door.
Well, in Jeeps I think the craigslist price is based on MSRP for a new top from Jeep. I think the MIC Jeep top is $2300 new, so you see take-offs going for $1200-$1500.

OP
OP
ramblinwreck

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What I will likely end up doing is sticking with the soft top only that the 4 door comes with. See how I like it after a year.
If i want a hard top at that point I will buy one and sell the soft top. I know I don't want to store both and won't switch back and forth.
If I get the hard top later down the line I will most likely get a "bikini" style soft top that is easily on off and small to store when not in use.

The idea of having a hardtop sounds nice, but needing 2 people to take it on and off means it will stay on 95% of the time.
That is sort of where I am. I am considering just buying the hard top and using a bikini top in the fall and spring. I am not sure I want that level of commitment to open air though.
Sponsored