Sponsored

So I'm Planning to run Topless this summer...

X JBM X

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Looking for some advice from those who have done this.

Bought my truck with a hard top... my intention is to remove the rear section, and keep it off while the weather is nice.

So far, I've ordered a "tonneau" cover from GPCA (couldn't deal with having to unstrap the ford one for tailgate use) and a sunshade from JTOP.

I'm thinking of buying the "trail cover" from Rain Gear Covers as well, as soon as they're back in stock.

General use of the truck is taking my daughter back and forth to daycare, and driving 1.5 hours / way to the beach, often once a week. I'll use my wife's car on days of inclement weather (we both work from home).

What other items have you found useful for this type of use?
Sponsored

EJP-OB

Outer Banks
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Bought my truck with a hard top... my intention is to remove the rear section, and keep it off while the weather is nice.

So far, I've ordered a "tonneau" cover from GPCA (couldn't deal with having to unstrap the ford one for tailgate use) and a sunshade from JTOP.

I'm thinking of buying the "trail cover" from Rain Gear Covers as well, as soon as they're back in stock.

General use of the truck is taking my daughter back and forth to daycare, and driving 1.5 hours / way to the beach, often once a week. I'll use my wife's car on days of inclement weather (we both work from home).

It's not a good idea to remove the rear part of the hardtop and leave the front panels in place. I'm not sure if that's your intention but it sounds that way.

OP
OP
X JBM X

X JBM X

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It's not a good idea to remove the rear part of the hardtop and leave the front panels in place. I'm not sure if that's your intention but it sounds that way.
No.. this may be the rare exception but certainly not the rule.

swaing

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Ford Bronco Wildtrak with Sasquatch package
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Running with just the front three panels and removing the rear cab is not a good idea. The first three are inter-locking and depend on the rear being there. I think you'd be asking for trouble. Just run a Bimini if you want that look and remove any possibility for problems.

derichio02

Raptor
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor, Bronco Wildtrak, Maverick, Tesla M3
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Yep get a Bimini from JTops. I run without a top 7 months out of the year. The JTops has made it much more fun living in the desert. (Leather seats get hottt)

broncosunshades.com

Sponsored

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Hogwash... I ran mine for 20k miles that way, 3 latches is enough. No issues.

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Wouldn't recommend it.

Itsdchz

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 PB XLT - 2022 Bronco WildTrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
0DEE4FBA-F932-4DCD-AC3F-89755122E14E.jpeg

We love the ease of door removal - tube door install and Tri top removal. 20 min, on the road. Bimini top in the sun, carry backpack for personal items, and nothing in pockets.

SaraB

Badlands
First Name
Sara
Threads
Reaction score
Sandpoint, ID when not traveling the globe
Vehicle(s)
42' Sailboat -> Sprinter Van Conversion -> Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have you considered one of the Bestop options like the Sunrider or Skyrider? Like everything it has it‘s positives and negatives but it might work for your scenario. It makes taking off the rest of the hard top panels a longer process, but I put it on as soon as the weather got above freezing and open it just about anytime the sun is out. I figure I’ll be using it mostly in the spring and fall when the weather is less predictable.

djp

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
djp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands 4dr || '21 Bronco Sport BigBend
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You might be looking for a simple bimini to keep sun and conditions out like this:

Or run the fronts but weld up a latch bar like this

EE89CAC9-71B9-4311-86AA-3072140B6E1C.jpeg
2940EA0F-80C3-4D6D-A844-908AC3919030.jpeg

Sponsored
OP
OP
X JBM X

X JBM X

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’m sorry if it came across like I’m planning to only remove the rear….that’s not the intention. The JTOP Bimini top has already been purchased as mentioned in the first post. Bimini top and tonneau cover are all I’ve picked up so far.

PrincipalD

Outer Banks
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have a soft top and have it down most of the time during summer. I have a Bimini top and am torn with it. I like the shade but love the sun. My advice is to have a microfiber towel that you leave on the arm rest when it is sitting in the sun. That thing gets hot! It also gets wildly dusty and it serves as a quick duster too. I also lock the glove box and console and leave nothing in it.

Neko

Black Diamond
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BD 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
OEM tonneau cover and simply cut the straps off…use suction cups to keep the flap down. Had absolutely zero issues and looks super clean. Obviously, it’s not secure if someone wants to get in the back.
Ford Bronco So I'm Planning to run Topless this summer... D700E406-3B0C-4E9A-A7DF-8A8C77A30DCE
Ford Bronco So I'm Planning to run Topless this summer... D700E406-3B0C-4E9A-A7DF-8A8C77A30DCE

BadBradBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You could also consider a winch. Ours is manual, but you can get electric as well. Easy to install and makes taking the top off and storage a breeze.
Ford Bronco So I'm Planning to run Topless this summer... A164A157-44CE-4761-830B-5538659D0052
Ford Bronco So I'm Planning to run Topless this summer... D78B913C-A16B-423A-AAD1-89608464ECE7

DD214

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2015 Pilot, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

I got nothing to add other than good luck, have fun and hopefull, I see you around.
Sponsored