Sponsored

So i'm really on the fence on buying one now with my reservation or waiting until i can actually sit in one first.

OP
OP
Bickertjr

Bickertjr

Badlands
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 f-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I SAY RESTOR IT! its a fun project :)
I re built the motor at 18, re built the 3 speed and transfer case, brakes, then put 10,000 miles on it over 8 years and parked it. Work, marriage and kids.
Sponsored

TheRealCobraBurnout

Black Diamond
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Cancel reservation and start driving daily driving the 72

OP
OP
Bickertjr

Bickertjr

Badlands
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 f-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I SAY RESTOR IT! its a fun project :)
I re built the motor at 18, re built the 3 speed and transfer case, brakes, then put 10,000 miles on it over 8 years and parked it. Work, marriage and kids.
I'd have trouble selling a car my father bought brand new, let alone a 72 Bronco. Keep it, depending on it's condition either get it running/driving and enjoy or go all out on a full resto to bone stock exactly how your father ordered it.
He cut the fenders, the body under the doors. He used it for the rubicon and hunting. I was lucky enough to be on it's 6th and last rubicon trip at 15.

MotoCeptorMan

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang, 2013 Ram, 2003 Jeep Liberty 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe i should wait for a "22". They could have green by then and i'd have 2 50 years apart. Btw fyi my dad ordered mine , it took 6 weeks and was $4200 out the door. 302, dana 44. ???
I was thinking the same thing with a '22. You have an early reservation, but if you order a late availability item, you may be looking at a 22. I don't know you, but I sense that you really don't want to part with the 72 your dad ordered and gave you. You will probably regret it if you do let it go. It's OK to look to the future and hold on to/appreciate the past.

fv9

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport, 2005 Lotus Elise, Protoform P3 formula vee, Crossle 32F formula ford
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My dad bought a 79 Alfa Spider new in 80 when I was 6. Became mine in college and beyond. I’m darn near 47 now and it’s running great. No way it’ll ever leave the family. Too many great memories. Don’t sell the 72.

Sponsored

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
So I'm really on the fence about buying this with my 1st night reservation without ever sitting in one at least. Also i'm considering selling my "72" that was ordered by my father when i was 4 and given to me at 16. I have kept it in a warehouse since i quit driving it in the 90's. Anyone have any advice?
1) 1st night reservation: You will get the vehicle early and should be able to AT LEAST get your money back if you decide to sell it, might even make a few bucks?

2) Sitting in it: Dealers will receive mannequins before yours arrives, so you will be able to sit in it before pulling the trigger. You can even refuse the Bronco when yours arrives at the dealer and get your deposit back at a good dealer.

3) 72 restoration: If it were me, I'd simply clean up the 72 and get it running. Maybe buy a set of new tires? That shouldn't set you back too much and it will be cool as heck driving around in original condition. You'll get as much profit from it this way, probably more than you would if you fully restore it.

4) Waiting for MY 22: Having two Broncos 50 years apart is cool. Having both being ordered by your father and you is beyond cool. That's magazine cover worthy! Same story w/MY21 is 99.6% as cool.

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks for the input. I think restoring my 72 to my desires now would cost as much as the 4 door badlands i have reserved.
Don't restore the '72, keep it as a survivor. Rebuild the engine and make sure that everything is mechanically sound and safe. Splurge for some seat covers, but don't spend a lot of time on cosmetics. You can happily drive it for many years and likely not spend a ton of money. Let is be your toy. If you can afford the Badlands, do it. If it is outside of your budget, get something reliable for a DD and take the '72 for a spin anytime you want to treat yourself.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
A little birdie told me that's possible if you order during the alloted time but communicate with your dealer that you want to keep pushing back when the order is actually sent in to Ford. I have no first had knowledge but I was led to believe it can easily be done.

Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the input. I think restoring my 72 to my desires now would cost as much as the 4 door badlands i have reserved.
Maybe on the West coast, if it is in horrible shape.
I restore stuff in my home shop here on the east coast and would be almost positive you could get a stunning job done on it for quite a bit less than the cost of a new 4Dr BL.
I know what I charge, and more than likely charge "too little" comparatively. But I don't have a show on Motor Trend or a staff of 20 guys to pay.
But at the end of the day I make some money, sleep good at night knowing I didn't screw someone out of their own hard-earned money, and so far haven't had a single one refused, brought back (due to my work - customer wanted more candy red lace work done on the car after it was done), or had a disappointed owner.
Some shops charge what they charge because they can and people will spend it.
There's retirement-level, vacation home at the beach level profits and then there's realistic profit that makes sense and keeps one's karma clean.

If you can swing it, do both.
If it doesn't make financial sense, go with a cheaper model that is still a good, capable daily driver and off-road rig.
But by no means sell that 72, in my opinion.
They aren't making them anymore, and it has a personal history that is worth more than you may realize.
My grandpa had just a basic 67 C10 in green I rode with him in to go fishing.
When he passed they sold it (and I was a teenager, not having $ to buy it) and I had no idea they were going to. I'd rather have that truck today than most anything else I own.

vintage

First Edition
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 4Runner Trd Pro, Indian Chieftain, Indian Springfield
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Keep the 72 Bronco unrestored and order the New Bronco. You can always restore the 72 later on down the road when you save more money. And I'm pretty sure if you order the new Bronco and don't like it when it comes in, your dealer would be more than happy to refund your deposit and sell it to someone else.

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Drop any reservation and wait a few years to see what comes out. Selling the 72 makes no sense in the thread because you don't indicate you're selling one to buy the other. Drive the 72.

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oh man I wouldn’t part with the 72.
My Dad had a 73 and my best memories are ridin the gravel roads with him. The ties that bind us are strong and really the main reason my lust for the bronco
No way in hell if I had his 73 would I even consider parting ways with it..

U will regret it
Sponsored