Sponsored

So who's overloading their roof rails...?

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just curious to know why the 110LBs dynamic limit is there...
Critical Stress on the rails during panic stops/manoeuvres or vehicle dynamics/handling during the same kinda vehicle manoeuvres
Because it's a flimsy removable top
Sponsored

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
First off, I love the concept behind the Rhino Rack Backbone which shifts the weight to the internal structure of the vehicle. However, I am not sure they will serve the Bronco 2-Door community. From what I can determine, you can not buy a Backbone system for the Jeep Wrangler 2-Door.

For Bronco 2-Door owners who seek to stay within the 110lbs dynamic weight limit, we have options. A key first step is to determine what needs to be carried on the roof. Fuel might be on your list since options to carry fuel on the rear bumper are not readily available via the after-market.

It is true, the after market should develop option for us in time. However, if I end up waiting 1 to 2 years to take delivery of my Bronco, I am not going to wait an additional undetermined amount of time for the AM to develop what I need. You may be more patient.

I know what I need to carry on my Bronco 2-Door roof. I crunched the numbers and came out at 109lbs total weight. I located and purchased all the components despite supply chains being disrupted. I am ready to go as soon as my Bronco arrives. I guess for some of us, if there is a will, there is a way.

Ford Bronco So who's overloading their roof rails...? Bronco Roof Rack

OP
OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

First off, I love the concept behind the Rhino Rack Backbone which shifts the weight to the internal structure of the vehicle. However, I am not sure they will serve the Bronco 2-Door community. From what I can determine, you can not buy a Backbone system for the Jeep Wrangler 2-Door.

For Bronco 2-Door owners who seek to stay within the 110lbs dynamic weight limit, we have options. A key first step is to determine what needs to be carried on the roof. Fuel might be on your list since options to carry fuel on the rear bumper are not readily available via the after-market.

It is true, the after market should develop option for us in time. However, if I end up waiting 1 to 2 years to take delivery of my Bronco, I am not going to wait an additional undetermined amount of time for the AM to develop what I need. You may be more patient.

I know what I need to carry on my Bronco 2-Door roof. I crunched the numbers and came out at 109lbs total weight. I located and purchased all the components despite supply chains being disrupted. I am ready to go as soon as my Bronco arrives. I guess for some of us, if there is a will, there is a way.

Lock and Load platform? Nice... But weight? Cost? A Skinny Warrior could take your equipment and probably weighs half as much?

RimrockPaul

Base
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
might be pushing the limits of oem rack?
Does canadian weigh the same as American beer? No way would my beer be on roof. Needs to be on ice handy so the little woman can get one for me easily.

Sponsored

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm going to be an outlaw and throw a fishing rod up there! :LOL:

Ford Bronco So who's overloading their roof rails...? roof rack capacities highlight

fronc

First Edition
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 First Edition | 4 Door | Cactus Grey
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Rhino Rack does indeed have plans, and they're getting to work on it in the next few days.
Source: They're using mine to do their measurements and 3d scans.
I should note, mine is a four door, MIC.

fronc

First Edition
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 First Edition | 4 Door | Cactus Grey
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Are they going to start prototyping and drill into your hard top? Or just measurements for now?
Just measurements this week, may go as far as drilling if/when they get a little more..... Confident? Lol

Sponsored

reidski29

Wildtrak
First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Expedition, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Everybody on the Canadians and beer I see! Need some good craft Michigan based beer (Bell's or Founder's) with some dense hops.

But back on topic, I likely will be overloading the roof rails. Gonna put a cargo box up top, and since the vehicle has less cargo space than my expedition my mountain bikes are going to need to head to the roof as well. I haven't done the math but it will be right at the dynamic threshold. And to top it off gonna need a basket off the hitch to carry my cooler (full of those IPA's...)

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford Bronco So who's overloading their roof rails...? roof rack capacities highlight

HI - I am working on getting a Lock and Load as well - how are you mounting that ? Would you just use the Yakima clamps that both tot the 2 crossbars that Ford sends with their rails?

What is the width of the rack /roof ?

_finack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Lincoln MKZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm kinda hoping something AM as well.... I didn't order my 2d with the rails. And then later realized, they're not offered in the Ford Accessories catalog... Yet...?
Wait. The roof rack doesn't come with crossbars? Are you serious?

Or do you mean you forgot to order the roof rack itself?

Either way, I'm a December res with every constraint known to man so I am sure I will have the opportunity to reorder for MY22 and correct any oversights.

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
HI - I am working on getting a Lock and Load as well - how are you mounting that ? Would you just use the Yakima clamps that both tot the 2 crossbars that Ford sends with their rails?

What is the width of the rack /roof ?
I have a LockNLoad Platform K (55"X49") I also purchased the Yakima Crossbar Clamps and plan to attach them to the Ford crossbars.
LockNLoad Crossbar Clamps (Set of Two) – Yakima
The profile will resemble the following.
Circle back if questions arise.
Ford Bronco So who's overloading their roof rails...? Rack on Roof 1
Ford Bronco So who's overloading their roof rails...? Rack on Roof 2

OP
OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a LockNLoad Platform K (55"X49") I also purchased the Yakima Crossbar Clamps and plan to attach them to the Ford crossbars.
LockNLoad Crossbar Clamps (Set of Two) – Yakima
The profile will resemble the following.
Circle back if questions arise.
I like the idea of the platform... Except it literally cuts your load capacity in half!
So what you're left with is somewhere for recovery boards, a shovel and a solar panel...
🤷
Sponsored