I requested a final price and my dealer stated that ee need to wait until the VIN is issued. I suspect that once the VIN is issued, there is no vancellation of order option. This would mean that the desler gets the vehicle no matter what. I really wish I had a signed contract.There have been many a threads posted about a reservation holder getting surprised with an ADM (additional dealer mark-up) when being notified that their Bronco delivery is imminent or when they go to pick up their Bronco. As this practice is certain to continue as we head into 2022 and beyond, I thought we as a group could outline the steps a buyer can take should they find themselves in the same situation. This is not a place to argue about the importance of having a signed agreement in place when ordering, this thread is for those who didn’t do that and now need help.
Okay, so you just got off the phone with your salesperson and they have fed you a line of how the market has changed and they need to adjust the price of your Bronco and charge you an additional xx,xxx dollars above MSRP…
Step1 – Organize your information
For the next few steps remember to be respectful, stern and don’t take no for an answer.
- Gather all documentation and correspondence with your dealer including, B&P pdfs, DORA sheet, texts, emails, phone logs, etc
- Hopefully, you uncover a “smoking gun” that has your dealer agreeing to MSRP and/or no mark-ups
- If possible, assemble a timeline of who you spoke to and about what
- Locate dealership contact information/emails for the following. Most dealerships have a Staff listing under their About page. If a Staff page is not shown, try Googling the dealerships name along with the word staff to uncover that page
- Sales Manager
- General Manager
- Dealership owner/principle
Step2 – Meet with your salesperson
Step3 – Meet with sales manager or general manager
- For this step I would advise going into your dealership. It is easy to say no to someone on the phone or in an email and much more difficult to say no to someone’s face
- Use the element of surprise, call dealership to verify your salesperson is working that day and head on in to meet with them
- Start the conversation off with that you would like to talk to them about final Bronco pricing so there are no surprises and raise the following points:
- All your correspondence is centered around MSRP with no mention of additional mark-up’s or price adjustments
- Emphasize that additional mark-ups were not discussed at time of ordering
- Outline the number of communications had with salesperson and opportunities they had to raise the ADM issue
- The market has not changed for the reservation holder it has been delayed by circumstances beyond your control
- You have no intent of flipping the Bronco for a profit (only state if true)
- Other points to raise??
- Feel free to bring in the spouse/grandma/kid or whomever you can and have them release the waterworks should the conversation start trending negatively
- If your salesperson agrees to pricing the only additional step required is for you to get that agreement in writing, if no agreement attained then continue to next step
Step4 – Contact dealership owner/principles
- If your salesperson is unable to agree or must get up and check with the sales manager or GM I would advise ending conversation with the salesperson
- Follow them to the decisions makers office and start over,
- Raise and emphasize the same points outlined in Step2
- If the decision maker agrees to pricing the only additional step required is for you to get that agreement in writing, if no agreement attained then continue to next step
Step 5 – Social Media Campaign
- Advise the decision maker that since they are unable to provide fair pricing you will be contacting (owners/principles name) about the situation and proceeding with a social media campaign should they not provide a satisfactory response
- Email the check signers at the dealership and accurately describe your experience and your stated outcome, copy decision makers and salesperson
- Let them know that if you do not receive a satisfactory response in 24 hours you are going to proceed with a social media campaign against them which will include:
- Contacting Ford director of communications
- Posting about your experience on SM platforms such as twitter, FB, etc
- Contacting Automotive websites who have an interest in Bronco ADM’s
- Posting about your experience on various Bronco forums
- If the check signer agrees to pricing the only additional step required is for you to get that agreement in writing, if no agreement attained then continue to next step
- Unfortunately, your dealer still refuses to budge, so the gloves need to come off and you have one last ditch effort to try and shame them into fair pricing
- Contact Mike Levine (director of Ford communications) via Twitter, short example of tweet:
- Hi Mike, just another victim of Bronco ADM here. Glad I reserved at (dealership name) and waited months for my Bronco only to have them charge me $xx,xxx over MSRP! (include additional info if possible)
- Tags (website links are to articles written about Bronco ADM's, there are probably more)
- Leave negative review on Google accurately describing your experience
- Post on the dealerships FB page accurately describing your experience
- Post to Bronco6g accurately describing your experience and naming the dealership
- Post to BroncoNation accurately describing your experience and naming the dealership
- Post to different Bronco FB pages accurately describing your experience and naming the dealership
This is by no means an end-all-be-all method for how to deal with a dealership charging ADM’s, instead, this post is meant to be an open-source strategy for those who find themselves in this situation. Please post other idea’s (legal ideas, no burning down the dealership and/or crashing a test drive) on how to approach this situation and/or additional steps that we think should be taken. I will edit/clean-up the outlined steps based upon feedback received.
- Always be respectful but stern
- At no time state that you don’t want your Bronco, or you are going to walk away. State that you need additional time to consider the offer
- Do not agree to a decision deadline, instead state that you need additional time to consider their offer
- This is also the time to negotiate Dealer Add-ons and state you don’t want them (ie, window etching, rust protection, nitrogen filled tires, etc)
- Entire process should be expedient and not take more than 3 days
If you are a victim of an ADM and got it resolved, please post your method for doing so. If you used the process outlined above, let us know where in the process you and your dealership agreed to pricing.
This should also serve as a reminder to those reordering a MY22 to get your deal in writing and signed.
@Administrator feel free to sticky this thread if information proves to be beneficial
I plan on walking the lot and looking at the ADMs posted on other vehicles. If they charge more on my Bronco, that is gouging and should be reported to the State Consumer Affairs and the BBB.
How long do they have to hold the vehicle before they can sell it out from under you?