Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

How do we all feel about soft shackles? Are they decent work ok? Any huge downside to them. Since my dealer is still “looking into the matter” of replacing my left front recovery point that came without a hole. I really don’t want just one hard shackle. Chilling out front. Honestly not sure I care for them being there all the time anyway. So I came across soft shackles. I’ve never hear of them. They seem rated well wouldn’t rattle when stored in the back or take up much room. Any thoughts from the group?
Ford Bronco Soft shackles? 7CF21876-3550-4883-8141-490641EF9C41
Sponsored

Last edited:

OtisFE

Outer Banks
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I like the ones I got from Gear America

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Funny, I just canceled my order for hard shackles from Amazon and ordered soft instead. I'm turning my base bumper into a 'semi-capable' by adding shackle points I lost when setting up my Blue Ox towing base plate. My homemade shackle mounts don't stick out far enough for a hard shackle.

Be sure to check that they will fit through your shackle mount hole. I think the 1/2" won't, 7/16 might and (I think) 3/8 will and 1/4 seem just too small.

No experience yet..

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
There's uses for both. I carry two D-rings and a few soft shackles (as well as two recovery rings, two tree savers, and a tow rope) I have a Factor 55 flatlink e on my winch that can use either. Here's a good video explaining the pro's & con's of each:

Sponsored

AZ_BRONC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 4Runner, ‘16 BMW 328i, ‘96 Stang GT, ‘19 Mini
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

When we were at Moab Off-Roadeo in March I asked this specific question of the group leader, who does vehicle recovery for the state of Colorado. He got several recovery calls just the day we were out. He recommended soft shackles over hard, with kinetic tow ropes. Just get good quality rated stuff and most importantly learn to use it correctly. And the most important lesson in learning to do it right is 100% solid communication between the driver in the rescue vehicle and the driver of the stuck vehicle.

Pseudoko

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2 Feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Regardless of which brand you go with, prior to each potential use, just be sure to inspect your straps, shackles, ropes etc for any damage from previous use. Coming from construction, same thing applies to safety harnesses etc. If you see fraying/tears on the equipment you need to toss the old and get a new one. you can have the most expensive equipment but things can happen that can damage it too.

Also see a lot of negative reviews about Rhino USA and Gear America products being manufactured in China, but most things these days are made overseas unfortunately. Even the Warn straps are made in China... I think ARB was Taiwan. Could be wrong but that's what I recall when i looked at one point.

I can confirm that both Rhino and GA are US based and have actual certified testing done on their product from talking with them. I visited Rhino's facility since they are not far from me and are great people.

Just hope you never have to use the recovery gear but it's always smart to have it in case. :D

BR0NCO

Raptor
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Audi
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
They are awesome

OP
OP
‘21OBX

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

There's uses for both. I carry two D-rings and a few soft shackles (as well as two recovery rings, two tree savers, and a tow rope) I have a Factor 55 flatlink e on my winch that can use either. Here's a good video explaining the pro's & con's of each:

Thanks for the video! Looks like as you guys have stated not a bad idea to have a couple of both.

Last edited:
OP
OP
‘21OBX

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Funny, I just canceled my order for hard shackles from Amazon and ordered soft instead. I'm turning my base bumper into a 'semi-capable' by adding shackle points I lost when setting up my Blue Ox towing base plate. My homemade shackle mounts don't stick out far enough for a hard shackle.

Be sure to check that they will fit through your shackle mount hole. I think the 1/2" won't, 7/16 might and (I think) 3/8 will and 1/4 seem just too small.

No experience yet..
I would have to think the 1/2” can fit through here with no issues.
Ford Bronco Soft shackles? DB70B8D4-F639-4FCF-9466-8C057EE14C7A

Sponsored

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Soft shackles are great. Lightweight, strong, and they float. ⅜" should do you fine. Anything up to ½" should fit in the soft shackle mounts on the HD bumper.

Since my dealer is still “looking into the matter” of replacing my left front recovery point that came without a hole.
Instead of "looking into the matter" why doesn't he look up the part number and order a replacement? :mad:

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

those look like something that would fit on everything from front and rear tow points to bedposts and ceiling joists. Definitely a good buy.
They do.
😎

OP
OP
‘21OBX

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Soft shackles are great. Lightweight, strong, and they float. ⅜" should do you fine. Anything up to ½" should fit in the soft shackle mounts on the HD bumper.

Instead of "looking into the matter" why doesn't he look up the part number and order a replacement? :mad:
Probably because I’ve told him I’ll install it lol. The service Dept hasn’t been great in the past they broke a part on my superduty that baffles the mind how. And left the truck a mess caulk gun tips on the floor, smeared sealant in doerjambs and a half smoked cigarette under the rear seat “neither the wife or I smoke”. Now that my front differential is making noise it’s gotta go back and I’m worried what I will find when I get it back this time.
Sponsored