Sponsored

Soft top and criminals, security, theft?

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Question For the Jeep soft top owners out there. I’m in New Jersey, Hudson County. For those who don’t know - That’s a super-dense and urban area. It’s
Iike in the cities of Philly or Boston or San Fran.

My current ride lives in a large parking ramp. I want the modular top but it looks like we will have to wait.

BUT - am I asking for trouble if I go with the soft top for now and have the soft top in places like Hoboken, Jersey City, Garden State Plaza mall, Montclair, etc?

I know that people can cut the top, but how often does that really happen? Would I be stupid to go with a soft top around here?
Sponsored

noahr

Black Diamond
First Name
Noah @ Mullinax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Question For the Jeep soft top owners out there. I’m in New Jersey, Hudson County. For those who don’t know - That’s a super-dense and urban area. It’s
Iike in the cities of Philly or Boston or San Fran.

My current ride lives in a large parking ramp. I want the modular top but it looks like we will have to wait.

BUT - am I asking for trouble if I go with the soft top for now and have the soft top in places like Hoboken, Jersey City, Garden State Plaza mall, Montclair, etc?

I know that people can cut the top, but how often does that really happen? Would I be stupid to go with a soft top around here?
Hey man, I had a 97 wrangler for the longest time with a soft top and I never had any issues with it though admittedly I do live in a very nice area with low crime. I rarely kept my doors on and often had the top down anyway and I plan to do the same with my bronco though the only difference will be I'm getting a two door and thus a hard top. When I did have my top up in my jeep the doors were unlocked because A nothing valuable was in there and B if they wanted to get in they could literally unzip the side window or cut it. So if you are looking for security don't get a bronco. Frankly it does happen, I have had it happen to friends of mine but not that often.

zero_swagger

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had a soft top for 3 years. I was broken into 5 times. One time the person actually used a lighter to melt the plastic rear window to gain access. All he needed to do was unzip it... :(

noahr

Black Diamond
First Name
Noah @ Mullinax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I had a soft top for 3 years. I was broken into 5 times. One time the person actually used a lighter to melt the plastic rear window to gain access. All he needed to do was unzip it... :(
Oof, I am sorry man, thats part of why I kept it down

Mopar2Bronco2021

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Charger RT 5.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
If there’s junkies living near you, don’t make yourself a victim by getting a soft top. They’ll choose to break in your ride over a hard top 9 times out of 10.

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Pretty much everything I know about New Jersey comes from this song, based on that I’d say no soft top.

Desmomini

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ferrari 348, Porsche 914
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
When I kept a Wrangler in Philly, I would just leave the doors unlocked and the glove box locked. Never had an issue.

YEGDriver

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've had soft tops before. I've had it broken into 3 times, and each time they cut the top when all they had to do to gain entry was unzip the rear window. That's why as much as I like the soft top for convenience of taking it off when I want, I won't go with anything but a hard top now. I have to park the vehicle outside. It'd be different if I had a way to park it inside all the time, including when I was at work.

StaticAnalysis

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A buddy with a soft top wrangler has had it cut into about 4 times before.

RobC2

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model 3P
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am kind of conflicted on this one as well. I have had numerous convertibles and my previous Wrangler was a soft top with no issues, but I mainly parked them in nice places like home or work. I want to do more with the Bronco, including road trips and the like, so that means motels and potentially questionable parking areas. I will probably go with MIC HT and look for someone dumping a soft top in the coming years to complete a budget dual-top option.

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am kind of conflicted on this one as well. I have had numerous convertibles and my previous Wrangler was a soft top with no issues, but I mainly parked them in nice places like home or work. I want to do more with the Bronco, including road trips and the like, so that means motels and potentially questionable parking areas. I will probably go with MIC HT and look for someone dumping a soft top in the coming years to complete a budget dual-top option.
This is exactly my plan. I go to Mexico at least once or twice a year... I feel perfectly safe down there but still not risking a soft top. Especially when the hard top is only $700 more, which is half the price of a Jeep hardtop.

Dillhole

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've had a soft top JK for 9 years and have had zero issues. I leave the doors unlocked and nothing of value inside, just a CB. It's not garage stored so it sits out every night and when I take the doors and top off it sits outside naked and it's never been messed with.

I'm in a lower/middle class suburban neighborhood.

saban

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
keep nothing in it and keep the doors unlocked is what i've done for years. have come back to the glove box being opened over night probably 3 times in 10 years

Solfive

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I came here to tell you to leave the doors unlocked also! My brother, who lives in chicago, leaves a note on his window saying it’s unlocked since his top was cut multiple times even with nothing inside and the doors unlocked.

Randeeezy

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I like the tip about leaving the car unlocked with a note - clever.

Most break ins occur because valuable goods are left in plain sight. I don't believe that thieves pick targets at random. One of my friends had his window broken in Los Angeles . . . he had left a camera and lenses on the back seat in plain view, and they were stolen. One of my friends had their window broken in the NOLA french quarter and a backpack was stolen.

To avoid theft, the rules are:
1) Don't make yourself an enticing target. Hide valuable items under seats, in the console or glove box (and lock those). Or in the back, covered in an inconspicuous way.
2) Be harder to rob than your neighbor.

Rule 2 might work against you here so double down on rule 1.

When I'm traveling across country with instruments and other valuable gear, I make sure my windows are blocked off so no one can see inside. I also don't venture far from my vehicle on short stops, and when I get to my hotel room, I unload all the important items. Don't take chances.

Also just be aware of where you're going. If you have the option to park on the street or in a garage in DTLA or the french quarter, take the safer option if you have valuables inside.
Sponsored