Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Explorer ST, ā€˜19 GT350, ā€˜21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Also, people saying clean off your roof, yeah that's the courteous thing to do. But do you live in cold climates and not daytrips? No one does that. People drive around with Civics with a foot of show. I wouldn't clean off my car top, much less a vehicle this high. Shit gets old fast when you just need to go. Much less snow blowing your damn driveway at 5am when you need to get to fricken work.
Itā€™s not courteous itā€™s the law. Itā€™s dangerous for following traffic and you are liable for what could happen. Seriously Iā€™m not sure what is wrong with people.
Sponsored

MLRey

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 18 Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Not to get into a whole thing or be a dick... and tank this thread, but.... You're pulling up a statute that talks about feathers and or live birds. How would you even know this obscure law exists? Is this something in California everyone knows?! Masses of clear water dropping off a vehicle would be just as dangerous as snow. I'm sorry for your experiences with snow and kids. I have some too. This is every day in the winter here. I guess it's different based on driver experience and climate. Literally no one here cleans the top of their car off, or it's half assed. When your car has 5 inches of snow on it, every day in February, you stop caring.
No offense here, about a dozen states have specific laws about this. In CA they figure it's covered by this generic one about water and chicken feathers. Being behind one of those chicken trucks it's amazing how many feathers come flying off. Dang birds must be defeathered by the time they get where they're going. CA has lots of vehicle code laws that many are unaware of. Better to know before you get a nasty surprise. A few years ago a friend got nailed for towing a small trailer at 72mph in the far left lane of a freeway with 3 lanes. He didn't know he was supposed to be at 55mph and in the right two lanes. Expensive $800 lesson in CA towing vehicle code. CHP don't seem to be enforcing too much these days but why give them a freebie opportunity to pull you over. If this only affected the person with the snow I wouldn't care. Take care and hopefully have or will get your Bronco soon.

GotWake

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the post OP. I hope I get mine when/if we get a little snow. Iā€˜m going to test that trail assist in a parking lot with some donuts ā€¦ā€¦. with snow on the roof. Hopefully Karen wonā€™t call the manager. #rebel

Joey.calc

Black Diamond
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not to get into a whole thing or be a dick... and tank this thread, but.... You're pulling up a statute that talks about feathers and or live birds. How would you even know this obscure law exists? Is this something in California everyone knows?! Masses of clear water dropping off a vehicle would be just as dangerous as snow. I'm sorry for your experiences with snow and kids. I have some too. This is every day in the winter here. I guess it's different based on driver experience and climate. Literally no one here cleans the top of their car off, or it's half assed. When your car has 5 inches of snow on it, every day in February, you stop caring.
Thatā€™s no excuse for leaving snow on your carā€¦ itā€™s laziness. Here in Vermont, you will get pulled over and ticketed for that. Itā€™s very dangerous - and we see serious or fatal accidents every year from people not clearing excess snow from their cars.

If you are in a rush and didnā€™t account for the snow on your car, call your boss and tell him/her that you will be a few minutes late because you are still not paying attention to the weather at however-many-years youā€™ve lived in a place where it snows regularly.

Masses of clear water cannot sit on your roof in a giant slabā€¦ and you can see through itā€¦ because itā€™s CLEAR šŸ˜‚ During your commute in Wisconsin, if you need to hit the brakes aggressively and your roof-slab of snow comes down over your windshield, I hope your POT is clear; and I mean that.

Last edited:

RWBigBend21

Big Bend
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline RTL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Well, the question whether the soft top can hold the weight of an overnight dump is answered. But yes, go find a broom and pull that snow load off your entire vehicle before driving.
pure happiness, glad to know the Soft top passed that test. lol

Sponsored

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They have a point, but at the same time I don't think I committed a crime against humanity like many are implying. If you are close enough for the snow to fall off my roof onto your windshield, you are too close to me. Also it is snow...

I was far from the most dangerous person out driving that day.
well maybe the first message was enough I agree, but you can be pretty far back and get hit with a giant, frozen slab that flies through the air like a glider. Ask me how I know - just following an 18 wheeler after a minor 2-3 inch ice event is dangerous enough on our highways. The trailers are never cleared on top.

FilmcoBronci

Black Diamond
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 6G
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Tasty. Spent part of younger days in what is now Palisades Tahoe with a CJ-5. In the Colorado Mountains this week with a pretty basic Black Diamond that is performing like a snow leopard. No soft top issues as of yet. I am hopeful but remain somewhat skeptical of it's elastic longevity through a couple of Summer/Winter Cycles.

Spent a winter coaching and training at Palisades Tahoe during a series of 4 foot storms. Take that snow off your vehicle, those slabs are lethal. Other than that, thanks for the top update. This new Bronco is "The Way".

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

We went up to the Sierras for Christmas and got absolutely dumped on, 1-2 feet of snow in 1 night. I didn't quite realize just how much snow we were going to get overnight, and as we were staying at a hotel I had to park outside overnight.

The night before:
20211225_171652_2.jpg

The morning after:
20211226_090117.jpg

I was not prepared at all for this amount of snow, no brush, shovels, anything. But like every good Cali boy, I did have a pair of flip flops in the back that I was able to use to clear my windshield lol šŸ˜‚

Resized_20211226_102336(3).jpeg

There was also quite the snow berm that had been built up in front of the truck from them plowing the parking lot. Again I didn't have a shovel, so I decided to just yolo it and was able to drive over it pretty easily after putting it into 4H.
A downside of the soft top of course is no re-window defroster, so I had to manually try to scrape the snow off the back plastic.

After clearing enough snow to be in a somewhat drivable state:
20211226_103241.jpg

20211226_103021_2.jpg

In hindsight my big concern would be I don't know how much snow the soft top can actually support. Thankfully the top didn't out right crumble or give out. Sitting inside you can definitely see the top material sagging down inbetween the cross supports. I could also see the top over the rear quarter windows was very strained. After the snow finally melts I'm a little curious to see if there has been any deformation of the top due to the weight, I'll also have to test the functionality to make sure it still folds back easily.

As for the roads and winter conditions we were mostly driving around on snowy roads, sometimes sanded, moving later into the day of slushy and icy roads. This is a stock badlands on 33" K02s and I left it in 4A all day and it was an absolute beast. No slipping or sliding and felt very composed the whole time. I felt very confident, even with seeing at least 5 cars that had slid off the road during the day. Here's some final pictures driving around during the day.

20211226_123727.jpg

20211226_123738.jpg

20211226_124726.jpg

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

We went up to the Sierras for Christmas and got absolutely dumped on, 1-2 feet of snow in 1 night. I didn't quite realize just how much snow we were going to get overnight, and as we were staying at a hotel I had to park outside overnight.

The night before:
20211225_171652_2.jpg

The morning after:
20211226_090117.jpg

I was not prepared at all for this amount of snow, no brush, shovels, anything. But like every good Cali boy, I did have a pair of flip flops in the back that I was able to use to clear my windshield lol šŸ˜‚

Resized_20211226_102336(3).jpeg

There was also quite the snow berm that had been built up in front of the truck from them plowing the parking lot. Again I didn't have a shovel, so I decided to just yolo it and was able to drive over it pretty easily after putting it into 4H.
A downside of the soft top of course is no re-window defroster, so I had to manually try to scrape the snow off the back plastic.

After clearing enough snow to be in a somewhat drivable state:
20211226_103241.jpg

20211226_103021_2.jpg

In hindsight my big concern would be I don't know how much snow the soft top can actually support. Thankfully the top didn't out right crumble or give out. Sitting inside you can definitely see the top material sagging down inbetween the cross supports. I could also see the top over the rear quarter windows was very strained. After the snow finally melts I'm a little curious to see if there has been any deformation of the top due to the weight, I'll also have to test the functionality to make sure it still folds back easily.

As for the roads and winter conditions we were mostly driving around on snowy roads, sometimes sanded, moving later into the day of slushy and icy roads. This is a stock badlands on 33" K02s and I left it in 4A all day and it was an absolute beast. No slipping or sliding and felt very composed the whole time. I felt very confident, even with seeing at least 5 cars that had slid off the road during the day. Here's some final pictures driving around during the day.

20211226_123727.jpg

20211226_123738.jpg

20211226_124726.jpg
Welp, just got my new winter desktop background.

OP
OP

CaliforniaBurrito

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
How did the soft top windows feel? I remember old plastic convertible windows getting really brittle in winter.
I didn't really feel them other than when I was cleaning them off. They seemed to have the normal pliability.

Sponsored
OP
OP

CaliforniaBurrito

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Glad to see the Bronco handling the snow! And that's a LOT of snow. You just kept it in auto for 4x4? Didn't do slippery mode? Curious how to handle that.

Kinda looking forward to actual snow in Wisconsin this year to see what this beast can do. Snowy winter, mud and ruts summer, here we go.
The road conditions varied between snow, sleet, and pavement. I think slippery mode defaults to putting you into 4H and I didn't want to drive around in 4H on pavement, so for ease I just left it in 4A. I guess I could try next time to put it in slippery and then manually change to 4A.

Obiwan

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't care to share personal info
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
When I see all that snow on the roof the only thing I can think is how nice and quiet and insulated that soft top probably was for a change.

MtnRanger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Itā€™s not courteous itā€™s the law. Itā€™s dangerous for following traffic and you are liable for what could happen. Seriously Iā€™m not sure what is wrong with people.
Probably too much lead in their water.

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Explorer ST, ā€˜19 GT350, ā€˜21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Probably too much lead in their water.
These are probably the same people that cruise at or below the speed limit in the left lane. They wait until they have traffic backed up 5-10 cars deep then leisurely get over let everyone pass them go right back overā€¦ā€¦ ugh. I wish I knew his society turned in to this.
Sponsored