First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline RTL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My dealer is investigating my Soft-top issues. No water leak but I can hear asymmetric sounds from passenger side rear corner over 40 MPH which is not the normal diffuse air sound over the top which is to be expected.
Also, between the soft top header clamps it arrived with a honeycomb-like or snake skin abrasive surface . See pics. Anyone else experience this or have insight ? My Big Bend otherwise is excellent.
Thanks.

91276A86-78D3-4323-834E-49A053633F15.jpeg

CF35A1E0-31E6-4D71-8EA5-A38A9CA66FC2.jpeg

55CE276F-B6E0-42E5-B83C-333B25D76758.jpeg
Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It comes worn out looking? Apparently, Bronco tops are like stone-washed jeans. :LOL:

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

At first glance, having worked in plastics before, I was going to hazard a guess that that was not an "appearance critical" surface and was left in its post mold/trimmed state . But it definitely looks like the surrounding surface is a polished finish as it comes out of the mold and it's been ground or sanded on. Maybe because something wasn't clearing properly so they removed some material from the face of that piece? Hard telling why it looks that way or why they felt the need to go after that surface. But it definitely appears to be a user facing piece and should be of a proper finish.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It comes worn out looking? Apparently, Bronco tops are like stone-washed jeans. :LOL:
We’re supposed to pay extra for this, right??

Rips also add more value, like jeans…

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Reminds me of the plastic you find on a 20 year old car sitting in the junk yard here in the southwest. Not good....

Sponsored

Afro

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CUV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks like fiberglass strands thats visible through the resin. And its been known that the honeycomb pattern is visible in the interior of the MIC top, especially in the sidewalls of the rear half so it makes sense if some of the soft top portion was constructed in the same fashion.

Now if that was visible on the exterior like what we've seen so far then i would raise a red flag

BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
@NotOJsBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Does Webasto make the soft-tops too?

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Looks like fiberglass strands thats visible through the resin. And its been known that the honeycomb pattern is visible in the interior of the MIC top, especially in the sidewalls of the rear half so it makes sense if some of the soft top portion was constructed in the same fashion.

Now if that was visible on the exterior like what we've seen so far then i would raise a red flag
Looks like the travelling demo I saw at dealer a long time ago. I was surprised but I don't think there's a flaw here, cosmetic or otherwise. Fiberglass-Reinforced Plastic (FRP) just looks that way where the resin doesn't accumulate all the way thru at the mold faces.

If they had hit the '+ more resin button' at the factory you'd have either a weaker top, or a heavier top, or both, just so that when you look up there every once in a blue moon, you feel like your *convertible soft top* on your *go anywhere, do anything SUV* looks a little more finished. Unnecessary.

The 'asymmetric noises' are a different matter tho.

(And having this appear, inconsistently, on the exterior of a hard top=definitely unacceptable.)

ladeda

Big Bend
First Name
Lara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have the 4-door Big Bend and have the same honeycomb appearance on the plastic header. Doesn't bother me as it just looks like the way the fiberglass was formed. I also have some rattling on the rear passenger side which started after I had closed the soft top and forgot to secure it with the clamps at night. The next morning I was just heading out to work, just about 15 mph and the wind caught under the soft top and pulled it back to open - scared the s**t out of me! Won't do that again! It seemed to handle it fine, but since then there's been a passenger side rattling that I've been problem-solving with some foam pieces here and there. Took it to the dealer and they weren't able to isolate it either. It sounds like metal on metal to me. I think it's just working out the issues with the new soft tops and doing a little problem-solving over time. To me these are all small issues, well worth the joy I get from driving the car.

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The sound is probably wind entering between top of side window and actual top. It will not stay 100% velcroed and there is no room for a normal person's hand to reach over the roll bar and push out while pushing in to secure better

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It’s normal. Move along nothing to see here.

image.jpg

Jordanyoung

Base
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Mine has the honeycomb type pattern.... I didn't think anything of it... Is it not supposed to look like that??
Sponsored