Sponsored

Soft Top Roof Rack Prototype -- any interest in this?

AlexInNY

Big Bend
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 428; Grand Wagoneer; MB 230E; Pacifica
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

How many inches of height does this add to the soft top? I park in a city garage and it may be so tight that I’ll have to walk through it with a measuring tape to check clearances. Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
22winty

22winty

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 BMW 135 JB4 2021 Bronco Badlands JB4.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi,
I'm from NYC and commute and park all the time.

I have a badlands so its on 33" tires with 1.5 lift (I believe). The top of the rack with no accessories is 78" from the ground.
At the center of the rack, the closest point is just 1 1/2" above the soft top.

If you remove all 4 "hand knobs" it lifts off easily. I do this before my commute to Manhattan.....but with just the rack, it's only an inch or two higher than the roof itself

I'm happy to answer any more questions

Taking orders soon,

Thanks for your interest,

I apologize for the simple, awkward video.
Ford Bronco Soft Top Roof Rack Prototype -- any interest in this? IMG_6488
Ford Bronco Soft Top Roof Rack Prototype -- any interest in this? IMG_6487

rpeary

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Badlands SAS, 2017 Lexus RX350 F-Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi, couple more questions! Is it safe to assume that when you loosen the hand knobs and remove the rack, you can then lift up the rear of the soft top to its fully up position, or is there more structure that would impede that?

Also, do you know if the EZ-lift struts can be installed on the rear of the soft top or would they get in the way of any of your structure?
https://www.iagperformance.com/iag-...-system-for-2021-ford-bronco-4-door-soft-top/

OP
OP
22winty

22winty

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi, couple more questions! Is it safe to assume that when you loosen the hand knobs and remove the rack, you can then lift up the rear of the soft top to its fully up position, or is there more structure that would impede that?

Also, do you know if the EZ-lift struts can be installed on the rear of the soft top or would they get in the way of any of your structure?
https://www.iagperformance.com/iag-...-system-for-2021-ford-bronco-4-door-soft-top/
Hi
You are correct if you remove all 4 hand knobs the rack lifts off. the brackets that are still attached to the truck do not impede on the function of the rear opening. It's a little bit snugger to latch but very little extra effort is needed. .

I have the EZ lift struts in and they do help. I also got the roll out cargo cover.
There is no conflict with the rack system.

They do resist on the way back down, it's a little awkward, you will need to push....and the other side will be wanting to go up... naturally. I believe they do make the windows harder to clip in....The Ford clip system is flawed. They should at least have nubs on the sides to pull against...the extra lift from the ez lift makes it harder.

They are very helpful especially when there's no rack and you want that bar to lift quickly out of the way...Thats their best feature.

Fivefingerheist

Badlands
First Name
FFH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, 4-D, Non-SAS, 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Watching this very closely. Love the design and the ergonomics of this rack. My wife and I do not need a heavy-duty rack but want something to strap the recovery gear and other items to. As we will plan on sleeping in our 4-D.

Sponsored
OP
OP
22winty

22winty

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi
Sounds like our rack would be perfect. The 80lbs capacity claim is from what I feel comfortable with, and all I have the need for. I have not tested past 80lbs, but man I've tested it hard for over 6000 miles. We drove cross country and drove fast and rough in all sorts of conditions and configurations...... The capacity is limited by the side to side shake from rough roads. Ive found a balance in the give and take of weight vs function. It has a hard rubber bumper behind the rear window. This is the upper contact point. It allows a little movement and to act as a shock absorber making the rack very gentle on the truck, While being easy to flip back. A sleek look and ease of use were important for me. I switch the roof position daily.

The final Product will have thicker Aluminum legs and and a stainless steel bottom bracket instead of the aluminum I used first. It mounts useing the 6 hard top bolt holes and the 4 fender top bolts. The static downward capacity is probably way higher. But I can't promise because I have not tried!

We've figured out how to have it manufactured, and it looks like we will start taking order 1/1/23
We will open a 10 day window to determine the first batch quantities. We have a local California shop standing by.......
If all goes well we will make as many as we can but we can only promise a first run.

I hope you follow on instagram as well 22_winty.
We will make our launch obvious here on G6 and instagram

They will available to order on our website www.22winty.com

Sorry for the long email but I felt the need to Post because we are very close to launch.

My son and I are very excited to see how all the different people use it.
I look forward to your version.

Thanks Tim

DolphinGal

Badlands
First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Soft Top Roof Rack Prototype

Not for sale yet, just seeing if there's interest.. Mostly designed for people like me. Skis/Snowboards to the slopes, Surf Boards to the beach, Camping Gear or Luggage. 80 lbs max.
Meant for Urban / Suburban 95% on road driving.

Made out of necessity. 4 people on a ski trip last winter with no place to put the gear. No options for racks.
These are Prototype Roof Rack and Tire Mounted Rack.
Test Drove over 4000 miles NY to Smokey Mountains then NY to LA.
80Mph with 80Lbs through Kansas no problems. PERFORMED BETTER THAN EXPECTED.
Stopped at the Bronco Celebration Colorado, Drove the Mosquito Pass with 40LBS no problems lots of compliments. We drove off road even though I specifically state on my website its not intended for off roading or overloading, we figured we try.
We had great success, we even won an award at the SuperCel. Drove Pikes Peak. Drove The Mojave Deserts bouncy as hell roads.

Attaches using existing bolt hole, no vehicle modification needed. Sticky back plastic pillar protector attaches behind rear windows on the pillar. Keeps the friction of the bumper off actual vehicle parts. After 4000 miles and lots of dirty roads ZERO damage done. VHB tape peals off 100% clean.

We plan to post more on instagram

If there's enough interest we will manufacture them.

Passed the initial patent search and submitted drawings as of 2 months ago.

www.22winty.com
instagram 22_winty

Ford Bronco Soft Top Roof Rack Prototype -- any interest in this? Rack Off.MOV

DolphinGal