Sponsored

Soft Top Roof Rack Prototype -- any interest in this?

Deltamav

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm definitely interested. Is there a way to retain this tilt-back function while also creating a rack that runs the whole length of the roof?
Sponsored

OP
OP
22winty

22winty

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 BMW 135 JB4 2021 Bronco Badlands JB4.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great idea 22winty. I referred someone over that was looking for a product like yours. We’re doing something a little different, but I do like your design.

Hey
Greatly apprciated!
I know what I'm working on has very limited capacities so its a different market. I have been asked about tents and canoes and had to reply "not on this rack! "
I will send this type of requests your way!

Thanks!

RAKET

Big Bend
First Name
Derick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.raketdesigns.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hey
Greatly apprciated!
I know what I'm working on has very limited capacities so its a different market. I have been asked about tents and canoes and had to reply "not on this rack! "
I will send this type of requests your way!

Thanks!
Thanks and I’ll do the same. We’re bulkier for sure lol. I definitely think there’s a need for your rack, so let’s both fill a need.

OP
OP
22winty

22winty

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for this real-world comparo.
Definitely interested.
My end use would be gear more than anything else, with the occasional potential kayak(s) if I can make it work. Max of 2 but they are about 80 lbs avg each, so roughly twice the "suggested" cap...if it is even close to looking like a compromise of anything I'll abandon that idea.
Even at 80 lbs, roughly, it will hold a lot of the camping gear (some sort of retro-fitted retractable awning is a must!) I'd be putting up there.

It really depends on the terrain. The 80Lbs capacity was me figuring it's all I need for what I do. Ive done lots of testing at that level.
I've never actually tested its capacity to the breaking point, as I like it and don't want to damage it or the truck.

It handled 80lbs no problem. I bet if you just on the local streets and kept it at reasonable speed there would be no issue with more weight. But don't quote me on that, I still claim its only been test to 80 lbs! ...which its pass with great success!

OP
OP
22winty

22winty

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm definitely interested. Is there a way to retain this tilt-back function while also creating a rack that runs the whole length of the roof?

There is, and I was originally making this rack for our canoe as well. While working on it I quickly realized the benefits of the short rack and its ease of flipping back.
I've considered making a goal post type bracket for over the windshield. It would be the same hight and designs as the back part but not linked.

The issue with the full length rails is it gets too heavy to tilt even empty. The structure needed to span all that length is a lot.
It also starts to become the GOBI Rack. Which I considered at first, but don't like the safari look or the difficulty tilting, and the potential damage ( I think they've recently worked out....) but there is scary you tube videos of its fails.

The 22 Winty rack is for people like me, who basically use it for luggage, skis/boards, surfboards with no plans for off road, over landing or overloading!

However, I have never tested it to its breaking point. I just know 80lbs is all Ill ever need and its passed that test, quietly with grace and zero damage to rack or truck!

Thanks

Sponsored

Deltamav

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There is, and I was originally making this rack for our canoe as well. While working on it I quickly realized the benefits of the short rack and its ease of flipping back.
I've considered making a goal post type bracket for over the windshield. It would be the same hight and designs as the back part but not linked.

The issue with the full length rails is it gets too heavy to tilt even empty. The structure needed to span all that length is a lot.
It also starts to become the GOBI Rack. Which I considered at first, but don't like the safari look or the difficulty tilting, and the potential damage ( I think they've recently worked out....) but there is scary you tube videos of its fails.

The 22 Winty rack is for people like me, who basically use it for luggage, skis/boards, surfboards with no plans for off road, over landing or overloading!

However, I have never tested it to its breaking point. I just know 80lbs is all Ill ever need and its passed that test, quietly with grace and zero damage to rack or truck!

Thanks
Thanks for the thorough response. I figured those might be the limitations. I'd still be interested in the shorter rack though. The flexibility of being able to both place things on the roof AND maintain use of my soft-top is what I find most useful.

AlexInNY

Big Bend
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 428; Grand Wagoneer; MB 230E; Pacifica
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This is great. I had written off getting a rack for my ST until I saw this. Any chance of making a cross bar that attaches at the windshield points and creates a span that is level with the rack? Would be handy for toting around a kayak, or in my case a sailboat.

OP
OP
22winty

22winty

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is great. I had written off getting a rack for my ST until I saw this. Any chance of making a cross bar that attaches at the windshield points and creates a span that is level with the rack? Would be handy for toting around a kayak, or in my case a sailboat.
Funny you should ask, I just sent this to another this morning. There's guys in Hawaii asking about 12' long Surfboards.

" I was originally making this rack for our canoe as well. While working on it I quickly realized the benefits of the short rack and its ease of flipping back.

Im happy to make accessories if there's a market, so far there's been better then expected interest so we are about to get into manufacturing.....

Please keep in touch and hopefully I can accommodate.

Thanks

AlexInNY

Big Bend
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 428; Grand Wagoneer; MB 230E; Pacifica
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What you just mentioned is exactly what I was thinking and explained poorly- the standalone bracket /bar attached to the windshield

Sponsored

KVK

Black Diamond
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09’ F150, 89’ Jeep YJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm definitely interested!

Sweetair

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 SHO, 03 Marauder, '69 S Code XR7 vert Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

sLopeFx

Black Diamond
First Name
FxA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco BD Sas, 07 BMW 335i, 02 Cooper S JCW
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Nice! I am very interested. I know 80 lbs is what you've tested and besides skis and boards I want to be able to use my large cargo carrier. Have you had a cargo carrier on the rack yet and any thoughts besides weight constraints?

OP
OP
22winty

22winty

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice! I am very interested. I know 80 lbs is what you've tested and besides skis and boards I want to be able to use my large cargo carrier. Have you had a cargo carrier on the rack yet and any thoughts besides weight constraints?
I’m a fan of Yakama, thier cargo carrier was going to be one of our next purchases to try it out. I’m in communication with them to become a vender so I can sell the racks along with mine

The rack cross bars are
About 36” apart I think that’s pretty standard
It accepts the Yakama ski and Supdawg racks
without modification

I’d have to look at how the cargo carriers attach but there will probably be no issue.
If possible /slightly more perminant / lower profile……I’d drill through the rack and bolt it on

I will look into it

Thanks

sLopeFx

Black Diamond
First Name
FxA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco BD Sas, 07 BMW 335i, 02 Cooper S JCW
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m a fan of Yakama, thier cargo carrier was going to be one of our next purchases to try it out. I’m in communication with them to become a vender so I can sell the racks along with mine

The rack cross bars are
About 36” apart I think that’s pretty standard
It accepts the Yakama ski and Supdawg racks
without modification

I’d have to look at how the cargo carriers attach but there will probably be no issue.
If possible /slightly more perminant / lower profile……I’d drill through the rack and bolt it on

I will look into it

Thanks
That's great. I hope it all works out with them. I have the Yakima Skybox 21. It attaches to the crossbars with a clamp type system. Four medium sized clamps go around and under the crossbars and you tighten them up from inside the carrier with a knob. I need something by first snow in CA!!!
Sponsored

Attachments