Sponsored

Soft Top Roof Rack Prototype -- any interest in this?

OP
OP
22winty

22winty

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 BMW 135 JB4 2021 Bronco Badlands JB4.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You have a rough estimate how much this will cost?
I'd assume not cheap but reasonable, especially the first batch.

Still figuring cost out, waiting to hear back from powder coat guys and to get final cost of materials.

Its mostly aluminum...recent Russian sanctions on aluminum...prices vary, mostly up...I don't want to speculate....but we are getting very close.

I plan top adjust my prototype and start manufacturing within a week or two.

We will launch here, instagram 22_winty and www.22winty.com.

There will be a preorder option for those who want it as soon as the first batch is done

Thanks for your interest!
Sponsored

OP
OP
22winty

22winty

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What you just mentioned is exactly what I was thinking and explained poorly- the standalone bracket /bar attached to the windshield
I've gotten this far, I can't decide if I like the demon / bull horns or if it should be flat. The horns are 49" to allow for 4x8 sheets. My style is usually more subtle, the plan was to match the bends in the rear rack and give canoes, lumber, ladders....something to push/ tie against. They have holes for straps.
I could make the bar flat and have the holes in the end.. Still deciding but I figured I show progress.

It can also hold bar lights

We have gotten over a dozen requests for this. Pole vaulter, long boarder, paddle boarder, a carpenter who brings a 12' ladder.....Im a canoe owner....

We are about to start taking orders but I wanted to have this option available.

What do you think?

wind 1.jpeg

wind 2.jpeg

wind 3.jpeg

wind.jpeg

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

very cool setup. personally i don't have a current need but i think its great for the soft top crowd that needs something like that. I appreciate the design functionality

WheelMe

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The front bar looks great, and it'd be awesome as it'll allow me to carry my sails (long) on top, instead of bending and creasing the rolled up fabric inside the vehicle.

Any more thought on a pair of longitudinal bars? Lightweight, quick-clamp onto the front and rear bars/racks, to support a Thule/Yakima cargo box . Weight would be at most 50 lbs. (sleeping bags, clothes, etc., for five passengers with the dogs having taken up the cargo area in the back).

dmrosas

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'90 E30 / '21 BADLANDS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've gotten this far, I can't decide if I like the demon / bull horns or if it should be flat. The horns are 49" to allow for 4x8 sheets. My style is usually more subtle, the plan was to match the bends in the rear rack and give canoes, lumber, ladders....something to push/ tie against. They have holes for straps.
I could make the bar flat and have the holes in the end.. Still deciding but I figured I show progress.

We have gotten over a dozen requests for this. Pole vaulter, long boarder, paddle boarder, a carpenter who brings a 12' ladder.....Im a canoe owner....

What do you think?

Ford Bronco Soft Top Roof Rack Prototype -- any interest in this? wind

This is cool

Sponsored

AlexInNY

Big Bend
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 428; Grand Wagoneer; MB 230E; Pacifica
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What do you think?

This is great! I would personally prefer flat bars but it’s useful either way.

acarzt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Personally, I'd say to make them flat. If I have something wider than 49" it's gonna get in the way.

Keep those holes though and maybe offer a "cap" or attachment for the ends to add some kind of "horn" as an accessory for those that want it.

As for the roof rack at the back, I really like it. A ladder option would be nice for us short folks though lol

TheShu

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Multiple Toys
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Personally, I'd say to make them flat. If I have something wider than 49" it's gonna get in the way.

Keep those holes though and maybe offer a "cap" or attachment for the ends to add some kind of "horn" as an accessory for those that want it.

As for the roof rack at the back, I really like it. A ladder option would be nice for us short folks though lol

Agreed, flat offers more options. Maintaining holes means can still do something as simple as toss ratchet hooks thru holes, without limitation of 49 inches.

Depending on the price tag, please add me to the list o' interested parties.

rpeary

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Badlands SAS, 2017 Lexus RX350 F-Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wow, just now stumbling upon this and looks great! Exactly what I've been looking for besides the one from https://www.hitchmount-rack.com/ which wouldn't allow for the rear door to open while mounted. Got a few questions here:

1. Can the rear of the soft top lift to its fully up position while the rack is in its up/carrying position or do you have to put the rack into its tilt-back position for that?

2. Can the soft top go all the way down without placing the rack in its tilt-back position or is that required? If not, how far back can the soft top be placed before having to tilt back the rack?

Either way looks fantastic!

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I am also very interested in this. What is the status update?

Sponsored

dsco

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Absolutely. Since the basket is reversible it allows use as a platform as well.
very cool

1. Can the rear of the soft top lift to its fully up position while the rack is in its up/carrying position or do you have to put the rack into its tilt-back position for that?

2. Can the soft top go all the way down without placing the rack in its tilt-back position or is that required? If not, how far back can the soft top be placed before having to tilt back the rack?
also interested, thanks!

OP
OP
22winty

22winty

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow, just now stumbling upon this and looks great! Exactly what I've been looking for besides the one from https://www.hitchmount-rack.com/ which wouldn't allow for the rear door to open while mounted. Got a few questions here:

Either way looks fantastic!

HI
Thanks for your interest,
1 Unfortunately no, with the rear window in, the corner pillars don't allow the cross bars and window to lift before contact is made with the rack. The bar will lift with the rear window removed.

2 The rack needs to tilt back, out of the way for the soft top to open and close to the full back #2 position.

The roof can flip back into the first position and rest on the rack. I have driven around town like this but I wouldn't recommend highway speeds. Its fabric on roof rack, there might be chafing.

There are better pictures and video clips on instagram www.instagram.com/22_winty

OP
OP
22winty

22winty

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
22winty

22winty

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

HI
Thanks for your interest,
1 Unfortunately no, with the rear window in, the corner pillars don't allow the cross bars and window to lift before contact is made with the rack. The bar will lift with the rear window removed.

2 The rack needs to tilt back, out of the way for the soft top to open and close to the full back #2 position.

The roof can flip back into the first position and rest on the rack. I have driven around town like this but I wouldn't recommend highway speeds. Its fabric on roof rack, there might be chafing.

There are better pictures and video clips on instagram www.instagram.com/22_winty

Also!

We are preparing our launch campaign and will announce it soon. We are hoping to be taking orders within a week

I will announce it here at G6, Bronco Nation and www.instagram.com/22_winty.

They will be available to order at www.22winty.com
Sponsored