BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I took delivery this weekend and noticed a piece of tape protector on both sides. I can’t tell if that is something Ford told dealer to do. Photo below. However - as a result of all of your information bronco6g I have preemptively also added felt to that section hoping it will protect the roll bar. Hopefully it works I’ll report back. But THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!

068A696F-9F36-4292-AE6E-8DB1600AFB77.jpeg

F0718D0D-BD53-41A9-B944-76163D8AA7A3.jpeg

B7D77AC4-4D73-453E-8D88-656059A83194.jpeg

F7FC2852-F424-4401-BC1A-66CED14767D5.jpeg

4A6E789E-0DDE-4E95-96C3-7915ADAE191C.jpeg

730B8380-37E1-420D-AA68-D42601487439.jpeg
Great job man!! Looking like I’ll have to order a ‘22 softie to put an aftermarket hard top on and now I know how to protect it
Sponsored

luptanpitman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, ‘21 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry to see that this is happening to you guys. Let’s hope Ford steps up and makes this right.

Disappointing considering the current rollout climate. Ford’s just trading problems here & mitigating market damage.

I’ve said this many times but it’s my personal opinion that this entire soft top design should have been left on the design room floor as a “yeah no” option during RD&D.
I actually disagree - I have added felt and plan to add helicopter tape to roll bar itself, was basically free. Remember this is a convertible truck, not an Escalade or G wagon.

The bigger reason I realized upon delivery: they designed it this way on purpose I think so you only have to remove three bolts on each side to remove the entire soft top assembly- it is SUPER EASY. This essentially allows the soft top to have the same beautiful lines as the removed hard top - the special thing about the bronco altogether. The thing looks best with no top at all, not with the soft top in the down position - this allows for that and compared to a jeep which has a track system etc and is super cumbersome to remove - is an incredible discovery!

P@pper B@ggins

Black Diamond
First Name
Arnaldo
Threads
Reaction score
East Hartford, Hartford, Connecticut, USA
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/ 1998 Honda C-RV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've had the soft top down all the way a couple of times now. Mainly took the rear and side windows off and left them off for two days. Opened and closed the top at night and morning, also when not driving to keep the seats cool ( the sun heats up the MGV very quickly, I noticed this rub on the roll bar. Will be talking with the dealer about it this in the near future. The soft top frame has a little lateral play. when closing it up, the frame can rub if it isn't lifted perfectly even left to right.

1627208768693.png

Same problem and it doesn't matter how careful you are.

luptanpitman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, ‘21 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So update after 10 days of riding in stage coach mode, mullet mode and fully bald almost exclusively - lots of up and down and really carefully to protect the rollbar paint: I am finally seeing the mechanism start to lean slightly one way - if I am facing the truck it's leaning right by about a 1/8th inch - meaning the felt I added is keeping it protected, but along the left side it's touching where as the left side has about 1/4 in of space. Will be interesting to see if it settles back with the top up all day when I'm at work.

I also noticed as I was putting it up last night that there are 2 other potential spots of rub on both sides as you near the halfway point putting it up - a flat section of bar that turns inward and 2 bolts. I'm starting to think that is the more important place to felt because that hits the exact section where I've seen so much scraping on other soft top trucks. I have added and included a photo below of those 2 new spots. I will say that as a result of the felt and being careful the roll bar paint is still perfect. Worth adding felt for sure.

Ford Bronco Soft top rubbing and wearing paint on Bronco roll bar [updated with TSB Fix] IMG_9034.JPG

Ford Bronco Soft top rubbing and wearing paint on Bronco roll bar [updated with TSB Fix] IMG_9035.JPG

Ford Bronco Soft top rubbing and wearing paint on Bronco roll bar [updated with TSB Fix] IMG_9036.JPG

Sponsored

BaseBD

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4D Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@luptanpitman That looks like it is helping. Did you just order a roll of felt off of Amazon? What was it, would like to get some one order as well. is it just 1" width? Thanks.

luptanpitman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, ‘21 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@luptanpitman That looks like it is helping. Did you just order a roll of felt off of Amazon? What was it, would like to get some one order as well. is it just 1" width? Thanks.
I had this lying around house. I used the rectangle strips and cut to fit - for some reason it’s black now on the Amazon link but maybe that’s better anyway. Only concern is does it rub off as the mechanism opens and closes due to thickness but I’ve had on for a while now and it hasn’t rubbed off. So should be good and I just keep my eye on it.
URBEST White 132 Pcs 4mm Thick Assorted Sizes Heavy Duty Furniture Protector Felts Pads with Durable Self-Stick Adhesive for Chairs,Desks (White) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M4J4RF3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_xXCFcOCekPxC6

straycat

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Camry, 2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

luptanpitman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, ‘21 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

for what it's worth - the whole thing shifts that 1/8th of inch back to normal on the regular. So I'll put the top back up after it's been down for a while and noticed it's 1/8th inch between felt and roll bar on both sides. I think you just gotta be pretty careful as you put it down - don't do it aggressively, and go to both sides of the truck to do it bit by bit. Still only takes 30 seconds but rather than forcing it down in one fell swoop from one side. My roll bars still holding up great. I also tend to strap down when it's fully down so it doesn't shimmy side to side much. But all in all - w felt this is a total non issue if you are careful from the start.

Sponsored

luptanpitman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, ‘21 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I did the roll bar ppf from IAG and it went on like a breeze. Looks fantastic. Pulling the service bulletin on the felt/loop application, my 9/1 build already had the circle pads and the small square, but not the longer piece. I went ahead and added it.
For me, the pain point is the most inbound circle padded bolt. I added a second layer of padding on top of what was there to beef it up. Hopefully this will be a solution.
I have come to accept that putting the top fully down/up is a two person job that should be done slowly. One person will inevitably apply lateral pressure due to the weight of the top and create the rub.
Aside from the need to use caution, the top down experience in the Bronco is AMAZING! Totally worth it.

leospencer

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

cricex

Badlands
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7L CG Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Called the dealer to try and prevent my roll cage from being scratched by the soft top, and they said they can only do the TSB once there's an actual issue, i.e., once the roll cage is actually scratched 😂 😂

Went back and forth about how it is preventative and the rep kept saying "I understand, it makes sense, but @Ford Motor Company won't let us address the issue until you experience it."

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Called the dealer to try and prevent my roll cage from being scratched by the soft top, and they said they can only do the TSB once there's an actual issue, i.e., once the roll cage is actually scratched 😂 😂

Went back and forth about how it is preventative and the rep kept saying "I understand, it makes sense, but @Ford Motor Company won't let us address the issue until you experience it."
I should be good to go now, if I cared much....I put the film on from @IAG Performance when I put the rear struts on, but not in the right place....so I have some scratches.
Sponsored