Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Now that I know about this issue, I feel I can avoid scratching the bar when I finally get mine, but I'll just turn beet red if it shows up, and I see that someone at MAP already gouged the paint. And I would bet money my dealer hasn't been informed of this potential issue, so they may fuck it right up too before I get there.

After waiting 13 months for the damn thing and having sold my truck 11 days ago, what am I going to do? Refuse delivery? Leave with the dealer for two weeks for a paint job?
Sponsored

Skydoc

Badlands
First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F350 , LS3 V8 Jeep Wrangler jku
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Having owned a few jeeps with soft tops most will tell you this happens in every convertible somewhere. Even worse in many vehicles where the owner never learned to properly open and or store the top while driving. (Ever see a jeep with top open looking like a parachute?) I am sure Ford will start using clear protective tape on these common rub spots from factory as more appear.

bbarnshaw

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC 1500 Denali
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Can someone circle on a photo where about the top is contacting the frame.

Never thought I'd have to bring felt tape to a car dealership.
Sorry I don't have a picture on mine (it's at the dealer getting fixed now) however it was the driver side roll cage just past the curve on the roll bar heading towards the front of the vehicle if that makes sense. When I get it back, I'm putting felt tape on the hinge (there is a part of the hinge that is closest to the vehicle roll cage) and I'm putting clear protective tape on the roll cage as well. If you look at the picture in the first post, you will see his is just behind the rear passenger door on the roll cage. Mine was in a similar position. Maybe a little closer to the curve on mine.

ScoutandBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 International Scout, 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve test driven two soft tops at local dealers (Fox and Borgman here in Grand Rapids MI). Both had ribs right behind the rear door. I thought maybe they were early production. Interesting (and discouraging) to see in a delivered unit.
What Bronco configurations do they have at Borgman and Fox?

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Can someone circle on a photo where about the top is contacting the frame.

Never thought I'd have to bring felt tape to a car dealership.
I think the contact area might be here (see photo below red circle area). The photo was taken from the back of a 4-door soft top. I think that bracket moves when top is operated, and is what people say may contact the rollbar (correct me if I'm wrong):

Ford Bronco Soft top rubbing and wearing paint on Bronco roll bar [updated with TSB Fix] 1627476717133

bbarnshaw

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC 1500 Denali
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think the contact area might be here (see photo below red circle area). The photo was taken from the back of a 4-door soft top. I think that bracket moves when top is operated, and is what people say may contact the rollbar (correct me if I'm wrong):

Ford Bronco Soft top rubbing and wearing paint on Bronco roll bar [updated with TSB Fix] 1627476717133
Great photo. You are correct. That is the part of the hinge closest to the roll cage. In my particular case, the gap is 1/2 or less of what you show in the picture. The two are almost touching. Additionally there is some left to right movement in the soft top when raising it from the full open position. If you are putting it back up on your own, you have to be sure to lift it straight up. You can't pull or push laterally even the slightest bit as that hinge comes in contact with the roll cage and will scratch it immediately. I recommend felt tape on the hinge where circled and then some clear tape on the outside of the roll cage as a secondary precaution. Just my two cents as someone who had this happen to his and now is without the Bronco for 7-8 days while they adjust the soft top to increase the gap between the hinge and the roll cage and then have to re-paint the roll cage.

jwvice

Big Bend
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Platinum F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Sorry I don't have a picture on mine (it's at the dealer getting fixed now) however it was the driver side roll cage just past the curve on the roll bar heading towards the front of the vehicle if that makes sense. When I get it back, I'm putting felt tape on the hinge (there is a part of the hinge that is closest to the vehicle roll cage) and I'm putting clear protective tape on the roll cage as well. If you look at the picture in the first post, you will see his is just behind the rear passenger door on the roll cage. Mine was in a similar position. Maybe a little closer to the curve on mine.
Here…

7C201A2D-8293-40F0-984E-157E032DDF27.jpeg

C120CDE2-C4E2-467F-84C2-7FFFE8076E83.jpeg

Mango&Moose

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion xB / Toyota Sienna. RIP my 96 Ranger Splash
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here…

7C201A2D-8293-40F0-984E-157E032DDF27.jpeg

C120CDE2-C4E2-467F-84C2-7FFFE8076E83.jpeg
So do you think that rub is from where the top rests when it is up or makes contact on a different part of the top when it is being opened/closed?

OP
OP
Cousin Eddie

Cousin Eddie

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So do you think that rub is from where the top rests when it is up or makes contact on a different part of the top when it is being opened/closed?
Not sure about jwvice but for me it is definitely when opening and closing.

Sponsored

ScoutandBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 International Scout, 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

fox : BD/2.3L/4D/soft top/velocity
Borgman: BD/2.7L/soft/race red

both Sasquatch
Thanks. I'll have to go check them out. Lot of Sasquatch mannequins out there.

bbarnshaw

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC 1500 Denali
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Definitely when opening and closing on mine. My dealer told me today they have been in contact with Ford on a possible solution and they will likely be putting some felt tape on that hinge as a precaution

Chrism81

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Once I get my bronco I am going to wrap the soft top bracket where the contact occurs with this thin felt tape and see if that works

Ford Bronco Soft top rubbing and wearing paint on Bronco roll bar [updated with TSB Fix] 1627519227669