Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, 1981 Trans Am, 1972 Austin Mini
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I picked up my Bronco today. Looks like either the factory or the dealer has put some hokey clear tape on the soft top hardware for protection. I have ordered some 3m clear polyurethane tape to remedy.
Sponsored

Steelbama

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tacoma/2015 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've had the soft top down all the way a couple of times now. Mainly took the rear and side windows off and left them off for two days. Opened and closed the top at night and morning, also when not driving to keep the seats cool ( the sun heats up the MGV very quickly, I noticed this rub on the roll bar. Will be talking with the dealer about it this in the near future. The soft top frame has a little lateral play. when closing it up, the frame can rub if it isn't lifted perfectly even left to right.

1627208768693.png
I finally had a chance to see a demo yesterday, soft top Wild Track. It showed rubbing in the same area. Also I have a question.... The center console lid seemed to fit loosely when closed, does your center console lid shift around some when its closed?

bbarnshaw

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC 1500 Denali
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My dealer called and gave me two options. A thicker black tape on the entire outside of the roll cage or clear 3M protective tape which is also in this picture (just can't see it). They did a small section just to show me what it looks like. I opted for the clear 3M tape. They notified Ford of the issue but are doing this on their own for me. They have incredible customer service. Goes to the body shop first for painting. Hence why the speaker is hanging. The scratch in the picture is about 1 inch behind the end of the black tape for those that have asked.
Ford Bronco Soft top rubbing and wearing paint on Bronco roll bar [updated with TSB Fix] 1627576481633

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

bummer this happened, I hope Ford will add some felt tape on new models rolling out the factory, or they'll have a lot of warranty paint jobs on their hands.

I'll inspect mine closely (if I ever get it) and if there's no tape there, I'll add some myself. Thinking of the thick felt tape that's used to seal my Big Green Egg bbq/smoker, made to be heat resistant, so it should stick on there well I guess. Or something by 3M, just something that will stick during hot summer days and not start melting or falling off.

Glad to hear OP will have his fixed soon, but would not be all that happy about not having my ride. It is what it is I guess. Odd they did not provide a fix if this was already visible on the off roadeo vehicles, seems a bit of protective tape would be an easy fix to apply at the factory.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Cousin Eddie

Cousin Eddie

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I finally had a chance to see a demo yesterday, soft top Wild Track. It showed rubbing in the same area. Also I have a question.... The center console lid seemed to fit loosely when closed, does your center console lid shift around some when its closed?
I haven't noticed it being loose.

Brownie

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, 1981 Trans Am, 1972 Austin Mini
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Busyboy19

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, OBX Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I haven't noticed it being loose.
Mine definitely scratched on opening from the full down position. I think the issue is the "lift here" label has you in a little awkward position on your first attempts at closing the top. I believe you end up lifting up but also pushing towards the passengers side causing the top to "rack". when you try and shift motion of top from up to forward close.

This may also can lead to issue with A pillar hinge not closing easily. I have had to push down on the soft top from the outside with a little force to engage the hinge on that side.

Bought some VViViD film and some Carbonized Gray touchup to try and correct it.

@Ford Motor Company

jwvice

Big Bend
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Platinum F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I took mine in for my 1k mile service today (actually at 1.5k after driving to the Florida panhandle last week. Showed my dealership service department and they have opened a ticket. Waiting for next steps at this point. @bbarnshaw, love the initiative your dealership took to proactively address. Will update here as I get info on direction and next steps.

Sponsored

Rhino67

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, pathfinder, altima (miss my F150)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I took mine in for my 1k mile service today (actually at 1.5k after driving to the Florida panhandle last week. Showed my dealership service department and they have opened a ticket. Waiting for next steps at this point. @bbarnshaw, love the initiative your dealership took to proactively address. Will update here as I get info on direction and next steps.
Thanks for the update. Will be watching this thread

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’ve brought this up to my dealer right away as well. Mine isn’t rubbing the roll bar but the mechanical arms are rubbing themselves. Bare metal showing.

Ford Bronco Soft top rubbing and wearing paint on Bronco roll bar [updated with TSB Fix] 8C5FA9F6-0207-4554-961F-2318394DC164

Ford Bronco Soft top rubbing and wearing paint on Bronco roll bar [updated with TSB Fix] 8037B780-1EE1-435D-9204-A695FC2A5EA6

Berwolf

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve brought this up to my dealer right away as well. Mine isn’t rubbing the roll bar but the mechanical arms are rubbing themselves. Bare metal showing.

Ford Bronco Soft top rubbing and wearing paint on Bronco roll bar [updated with TSB Fix] 8037B780-1EE1-435D-9204-A695FC2A5EA6

I have this same issue, in addition to paint chipping noted by the OP and wear on the soft top. The Ford rep here did reach out to me and I am scheduling a dealer visit.

PXL_20210811_190811793.jpg

luptanpitman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, ‘21 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I took delivery this weekend and noticed a piece of tape protector on both sides. I can’t tell if that is something Ford told dealer to do. Photo below. However - as a result of all of your information bronco6g I have preemptively also added felt to that section hoping it will protect the roll bar. Hopefully it works I’ll report back. But THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!

068A696F-9F36-4292-AE6E-8DB1600AFB77.jpeg

F0718D0D-BD53-41A9-B944-76163D8AA7A3.jpeg

B7D77AC4-4D73-453E-8D88-656059A83194.jpeg

F7FC2852-F424-4401-BC1A-66CED14767D5.jpeg

4A6E789E-0DDE-4E95-96C3-7915ADAE191C.jpeg

730B8380-37E1-420D-AA68-D42601487439.jpeg

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry to see that this is happening to you guys. Let’s hope Ford steps up and makes this right.

Disappointing considering the current rollout climate. Ford’s just trading problems here & mitigating market damage.

I’ve said this many times but it’s my personal opinion that this entire soft top design should have been left on the design room floor as a “yeah no” option during RD&D.
Sponsored