dcaero

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
In my opinion, 3” may be too thick to slide up under the very rear soft top wear it meets the cross bar. Mine slides over the top of the Bimini shade easily.
Thanks
Sponsored

El Bronco Blanco

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Explorer XLT, 2021 Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I tried mattress pad (worked well) and then purchased the Dirtydog headliner. More expensive but I can fold it and put it in the trunk, if out.
Any noticeable difference on heat from the soft top with the headliner? How thick is the headliner, and how much room does it take up when installed? AZ is only getting to about 90's now, and I can definitely feel some heat from the soft top, on the top of my head. AC is working fine but still looking to preemptively solve what will definitely be an issue in 2 months here.

OP
OP
BroncoOB

BroncoOB

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Sequoia, Tesla
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Any noticeable difference on heat from the soft top with the headliner? How thick is the headliner, and how much room does it take up when installed? AZ is only getting to about 90's now, and I can definitely feel some heat from the soft top, on the top of my head. AC is working fine but still looking to preemptively solve what will definitely be an issue in 2 months here.
It is about quarter an inch thick not as thick as the mattress pad. it has magnets on the side to stick to the frame. It will almost sit on top of the Frame so you lose a few inches since soft top doesn't seat on the frame. It is not hot here yet but I assume it will do well during hot months.

AZMikeL

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2016 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A/C works fine on those 115 degree days. The only time I've noticed excessive heat coming thru the soft top was crawling slowly in Bulldog Canyon last August. My main problem is that I like to drive with my left hand resting my elbow on the door. This inevitably leads to my left hand getting so cold from that A/C vent that it starts to go numb.

The A/C in these rigs is second only to the Costco produce cooler when it's Phoenix hot out!

anomdeplume

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2023 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Base
I went the 2” eggshell mattress pad route. Bought a full size and cut it down to 49” X 64”. Definitely helps with sound and heat. A 3” might fit but I think a gap is useful to keep some air moving around the pad. Total weight of the pad is 5lbs. Doesn’t affect satellite radio. J-Top is flipped back from front connection in the photo. The size I cut goes up to the flipped back edge. Pad is not visible from inside cabin that way. Here’s the link to the pad I purchased.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073JV6DBD?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Ford Bronco Soft top sound deadening aftermarket IMG_4012

Ford Bronco Soft top sound deadening aftermarket IMG_4013

Ford Bronco Soft top sound deadening aftermarket IMG_4014

Ford Bronco Soft top sound deadening aftermarket IMG_4015

Last edited:

Sponsored

BaseManSquatch

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I really don't think any product you buy that claims to lower decibels will have any affect. If it does, it's just a placebo effect. The reason why I say this is because when I test drove a soft top Bronco 99% of the noise came in NOT from the soft top itself but from the rear three plastic windows.

In fact, it was so loud at stop lights that I could hear the engines of the vehicles next to me as if there were no windows back there at all.

The only way you could truly make a dent in the decibels is if you bought Luxury Liner Pro (look it up, it's mass loaded vinyl) and double sided Velcro tape and covered 100% of the rear three plastic windows which would make them useless.

You would also need to get a mesh top and sandwhich the LLP between the soft top itself and the mesh top.

Ford Bronco Soft top sound deadening aftermarket 81K58NFz0ML._AC_SL1500_

BaseManSquatch

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I went the 2” eggshell mattress pad route. Bought a full size and cut it down to 49” X 64”. Definitely helps with sound and heat.
One thing I would be considered with is mold. Is the topper water proof?

TCC

Wildtrak
First Name
TC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX -> WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Dirty Dog. Don’t even hesitate. I suppose that if you felt you need more, you could throw something on top of that. As the above have mentioned, most of the traffic noise is from the side and rear curtains. All that said, you DID buy a soft top vehicle so you should expect that sound travels pretty easily through fabric.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Carol

Outer Banks
First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Like others have said Dirtydog 4x4 insulation mat. Just installed last weekend. Should’ve done way sooner. $250.
Where did you buy it from?

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don’t find it too loud until going over 76. If it were too quiet I might hear sounds that really piss me off like rattles. I can’t tolerate rattles.