Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Anyone know if taking the soft top thru a touchless car wash would be an issue? Leaking? I typically have a subscription to a drive thru car wash.
It has never been a problem with my BMW ragtop
Sponsored

Reactions: RLW

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does it say why not to run a sasquatch through? Seems odd
Tires too wide for the mechanical tracks seems the most likely culprit...

shimmy825

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It may be OK, but as an owner of two convertibles I wouldn't recommend taking them through one of those. I haven't, and don't think I ever will.
How would you normally recommending washing a soft top?

WyoBronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2021 Bronco BB, 2006 Saturn Vue
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The bigger concern might be running that POS MIC top thru the car wash…….it would probably come out the other end looking like a trailer tangled with a Texas tornado.

dweskamp

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GMC truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mechanical track on the floor. Those wide 35s are definitely not going to fit the typical car wash
My 2500HD with 35 12.5 trail grapplers go through tracks just fine.

Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

How would you normally recommending washing a soft top?
I just use a soft (soft as you can get) bristle brush with light pressure, and Dawn dish detergent. Don't scrub hard, you don't want to ruin the fibers. That will get the girt/grime out of the fabric. If they're not really dirty I just use a regular old wash mitt. I dry them down with a cotton towel (make sure it doesn't throw out a lot of lint), or Micro Fiber towel then let them air dry. Now, both of mine are garage kept and that does make a difference. If your's will be sitting out I suggest some type of protectant, i.e. RaggTopp with a UV protectant. The soft tops these days are leaps, and bounds better than the soft tops of the past. With a little care it will last you a long long time.

https://www.amazon.com/Raggtopp-Convertible-Top-Care-Kit/dp/B0002KKIVO

Last edited:

shimmy825

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just use a soft bristle brush, and Dawn dish detergent. That will get the girt/grime out of the fabric. I dry them down with a cotton (make sure it doesn't throw out a lot of lint), or Micro Fiber towel then let them air dry. Now, both of mine are garage kept and that does make a difference. If your sits out I suggest some type of protectant, i.e. RaggTopp. The soft tops these days are leaps, and bounds better than the soft tops of the past. With a little care they will last you a long long time.
Amazing, thank you! Yes mine will be out year round in the southern california sun, so this is super helpful.

Bestdayever

Base
First Name
- -Soupbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor.. Boss302..Edge Sport..Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just use a soft bristle brush, and Dawn dish detergent. That will get the girt/grime out of the fabric. I dry them down with a cotton (make sure it doesn't throw out a lot of lint), or Micro Fiber towel then let them air dry. Now, both of mine are garage kept and that does make a difference. If your sits out I suggest some type of protectant, i.e. RaggTopp. The soft tops these days are leaps, and bounds better than the soft tops of the past. With a little care they will last you a long long time.
Dawn or any dishwashing detergent will take any wax or sealant off your paint. If anything, a good car wash soap would be better and not harm the paint finish.

WadeWolf76

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Wrangler JK Willy's, 67 Ford Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Most auto washes with tracks will have a sign posted for the largest tires they can accommodate.

For instance the local Carlie's car wash here in town has this on the web site

• Vehicles that are less than 3 1/2" off the ground

• Vehicles taller than 80"

• Oversized tires and rims, and/or under-inflated tires (maximum width is 12")

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Dawn or any dishwashing detergent will take any wax or sealant off your paint. If anything, a good car wash soap would be better and not harm the paint finish.
Yes sir it will, but if you're rinsing the paint as you rinse the top there won't be any problem. Done it many times.

Sponsored

Bestdayever

Base
First Name
- -Soupbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor.. Boss302..Edge Sport..Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes sir it will, but if you're rinsing the paint as you rinse the top there won't be any problem. Done it many times.
Thank you for giving your suggestions on soft top cleaning. Realize the novice car washer may use a dishwash liquid for complete car care and the consequence would be unprotected paint.

philjmatt

Big Bend
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've had my Bronco 4 weeks and it has been through our carwash at the dealership about 4 times now. Haven't had any issues with leaks or soap build up on the top.

I treated it with a soft top water repellent coating first thing and it stays fairly dry!

The only somewhat concerning thing is how the vertical spinning brushes grab onto the rear tire. This will obviously be an issue will all Broncos, not just soft top. Most of your commerical washes have the ability to make sure these brushes are held out so they don't sweep the back of the vehicle and grab the tire.

Axxlrod

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's not the tire width that's the issue, it's the track width of the Sasquatch tire edge to tire edge. It's too wide for the car wash equipment. Same with Raptors.

jorgem31

Outer Banks
First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Well crap...didn't even think about car washes when I switched it to the soft top.
Sponsored