BroncoAg96

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagen CC
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I didn't make my reservation until 4/3, so I should probably be in good shape for getting my hands on the 2024 model here soon.

In the meantime, I have ample time to change which way I'm leaning 1,000 times. So what's the consensus here - are most of you going hard top? And if so, why? Is it for the mounting rails/storage on top? I don't plan to put rails on my roof and I intend to drive top-off for a good chunk of my time as I live in Texas. Growing up I had an old CJ5 and for 6-8 months of the year I drove that thing around with no doors and just the bikini top on it.

I was originally tempted to go dual, but then I've got to hang/store the back section of the hard top while driving with soft or topless and thought "what's the point". As far as noise goes, isn't it fairly negligible on road noise on the hard top vs. soft top?

Just curious what your thoughts are on this very important subject matter.
Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't plan to put rails on my roof and I intend to drive top-off for a good chunk of my time as I live in Texas. Growing up I had an old CJ5 and for 6-8 months of the year I drove that thing around with no doors and just the bikini top on it.

I was originally tempted to go dual, but then I've got to hang/store the back section of the hard top while driving with soft or topless and thought "what's the point". As far as noise goes, isn't it fairly negligible on road noise on the hard top vs. soft top?

Right there with you . Had an 81 CJ-5 Ran Bikini top & 1/2 soft or no doors. If it got cold I would run full soft doors & heater & it was fine. Soft top was a pain to put on if you didn't let it heat up in the sun (Why would you want the top on with the sun out:unsure:) Anyway I plan on Hard Top & Bikini Top. I see no need for the soft top. YMMV :cool:

Rusty Sheckleford

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Where I live, big snow falls are an issue so if i'm at work i don't have to worry about the MIC top. I don't know if i'll use roof rails, but i will probably get them just in case. The other pro of going with the hardtop is ensuring it has the rear wiper setup in place.

I actually really like the mini soft top for the front seats, I think having that for use in the summer and then throwing back the front hardtop panels for window is the ultimate solution. I'll probably just buy one of these either later or try to get it on my financing

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}

Happytown

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 Eco SCREW 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the difference in road noise at hiway speeds is going to be far from "negligible", hard top vs soft top. Obv. conjecture but I would assume from watching videos

OP
OP

BroncoAg96

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagen CC
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I appreciate the responses. I might go dual then to have the hard top for the winter. Like some said - it’ll presumably be cheaper than getting one or the other aftermarket.

Sponsored

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
I vote for Hard Top & Bikini Top.
The hard top look to be not too hard to take off.
Bikini top is more about not being cooked by the sun.

The mod top does look very cool but I don't know if it is worth waiting for?

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have time to change to dual if I want, but 100% getting hard top for sure.

Even though this is my first vehicle of this type I see plenty of jeeps around me with soft tops that look like hell. No thanks, rather not risk that.

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The factory MIC top is a steal really. Especially now with the free headliner.

Option 1 - Get the factory soft-top, save $700 up front. Later on you want a hard top? Probably looking at close to $4000 for something modular of the same quality with a headliner. Total cost to have two tops: about $4000

Option 2 - Get the factory hard-top. Want a soft-top later? Go buy a nice Bestop or something aftermarket, should be able to get a good-quality aftermarket top for around $2000. Total cost: $2700.

Going factory HT saves you about $1300, and you won't have any hookups for the window wiper/washer/etc. if you get the ST first.

Just my $.02

DrewM

Outer Banks
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 JKU Sahara, '12 IS350, '79 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I run dual tops on my JKU. I run the hard top in the winter and soft spring through fall. I've got the premium twill soft top and headliners in the hard top and there is considerably more road noise with the soft top.

I can deal with the extra noise because when the weather's nice I can flip the top back in a minute or be completely top down in under five, even if I'm away from home. Just roll the windows up in an old beach towel and throw them in the back and you can button things up at a moments notice if the weather changes.

TL;DR - Dual tops for me.

MSparks909

Badlands
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went soft top only. Live in Eastern NC and we only really have cold weather from November to April. I can deal with the soft top for those months, and it really doesn’t get below 25 here all that often. If I lived somewhere with significant snowfall I may think differently. But for those times it’s 65+ and sunny, I want to be able to fold the top down and enjoy it.

Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have time to change to dual if I want, but 100% getting hard top for sure.

Even though this is my first vehicle of this type I see plenty of jeeps around me with soft tops that look like hell. No thanks, rather not risk that.
Soft / convertible tops are consumables & require replacement every few years. ;)

bbkat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I originally had the MIC hardtop in my build, but after seeing Cactus Gray soft top at a local dealer event I switched. 2 reasons:

A. the ease of going convertible (halfway or full) Will be a frequent need in So Cal weather
B. gonna wait for a white hardtop option. After seeing CG in person, the white should look sweet

dominicenoa

Badlands
First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Right there with you . Had an 81 CJ-5 Ran Bikini top & 1/2 soft or no doors. If it got cold I would run full soft doors & heater & it was fine. Soft top was a pain to put on if you didn't let it heat up in the sun (Why would you want the top on with the sun out:unsure:) Anyway I plan on Hard Top & Bikini Top. I see no need for the soft top. YMMV :cool:
Yep, hard top now and bikini top from the accessories catalog for me.

JIMBAD1

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 4Runner V8, 67 Dodge R/T, 71 Honda 750 K1
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had this top on my Jeep. For me this was perfect and would open in seconds while sitting in your seat, aka Miata. I am ordering this one immediately but I hope Bestop makes one that covers both the front and rear passengers since the Bronco has a rear removable panel, unlike the Jeep. This combo plus removable/storable doors would be the ultimate combination to me. I ran mine all the time. Once I installed this I never put the hard panels back on. You can remove this in about 20 minutes if you need the security of the hard panels.

Where I live, big snow falls are an issue so if i'm at work i don't have to worry about the MIC top. I don't know if i'll use roof rails, but i will probably get them just in case. The other pro of going with the hardtop is ensuring it has the rear wiper setup in place.

I actually really like the mini soft top for the front seats, I think having that for use in the summer and then throwing back the front hardtop panels for window is the ultimate solution. I'll probably just buy one of these either later or try to get it on my financing

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}

Diydner

Outer Banks
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I didn't make my reservation until 4/3, so I should probably be in good shape for getting my hands on the 2024 model here soon.

In the meantime, I have ample time to change which way I'm leaning 1,000 times. So what's the consensus here - are most of you going hard top? And if so, why? Is it for the mounting rails/storage on top? I don't plan to put rails on my roof and I intend to drive top-off for a good chunk of my time as I live in Texas. Growing up I had an old CJ5 and for 6-8 months of the year I drove that thing around with no doors and just the bikini top on it.

So I have actually been planning to go with just the hard top until about two days ago. I live in Florida and in the summertime, it rains almost every afternoon. Well my family and I want to use the Bronco when we go to the beach and would like to have the top down when we do. We will also need the cargo area for all the gear.

I realized that going dual is only $600 more, however if I added a soft top layer, it would be double that. Might as well get both
Sponsored