Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
I keep hearing about how independent suspension is better, but it has me wondering why they don't use the same independent axle in the rear. Obviously if they can use it in the front, with all the steering stuff, it'd be even easier in the rear.

So...Why are solid axles used at all, front or rear? Why put a solid axle in the rear of the Bronco if we all know the independent is better?
Sponsored

A_Locke

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Prius, 1966 Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Investment, Cost and Attributes. To deliver the proportions, style and feel of the Bronco, it makes most sense to deliver it on a body on frame architecture. For Ford, this meant putting the Bronco on the same architecture as the Ranger.

Some products ride on a body on frame architecture with an independent rear suspension (see the Expedition, Navigator, Tahoe, Suburban and Escalade) but this requires a full redesign of the rear axle (which costs a lot of money). This further enhances ride quality, but does sacrifice ground clearance, which is not really a priority for an off road truck.

Independent up front enables better ride and steering. Solid on the rear keeps things cheap and durable.

The only off road vehicle that can match the current body on frame offerings is the Land Rover Defender. They do so using Air Suspension. But, that’s a product that starts around the same as a well equipped Bronco and goes much much higher (over $80-90k)

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I keep hearing about how independent suspension is better, but it has me wondering why they don't use the same independent axle in the rear. Obviously if they can use it in the front, with all the steering stuff, it'd be even easier in the rear.

So...Why are solid axles used at all, front or rear? Why put a solid axle in the rear of the Bronco if we all know the independent is better?
For tow capacity.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've been around a couple moderately capable four wheel independent suspension vehicles (2005 Explorer and military M151), short answer: In the rough stuff they seldom had all four wheels on the ground. The Bronco's IFS will have some articulation problems, but with a solid rear this is moderated. From the Rubicon and Moab videos it seems the rear has an incredible amount of articulation

Sponsored
OP
OP

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
So, based on the previous posts, sounds like solid axles are less expensive, more durable, have better ground clearance and articulation. Huh.

Burndog

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, based on the previous posts, sounds like solid axles are less expensive, more durable, have better ground clearance and articulation. Huh.
But, solid axles, road manners are less than desirable. You won't hear an IFS owner complaining about death wobble, for example. In addition an IFS will allow higher speed drivability attributes that solid axle cannot match, in stock form.
If you Google it you'll find some nice coverage on the topic but basically boils down to the independence of each wheel being able to respond to obstacles without the opposite wheel being affected. Ford wanted the Bronco to perform well in high speed areas with terrain a solid axle, generally in stock form, would struggle with. These are folks that like sand and canyon racing, Baja (I'm taking liberties here). Ford also wanted road manners that won't scare the shit out of you when hitting potholes, like Michigan. The only drawback Bronco will have is front end articulation when traversing large obstacles. It will leave a wheel in the air on rocks a solid axle would not. How important is that when you have 3 other wheels firmly planted, that's up for debate. I come from built up Jeep TJ with solid axles and was a beast on low speed, large obstacles. BUT, not the most stable in bumpy terrain at higher speeds.
Solid axle in the rear makes sense because you'll have better towing and better articulation to compensate for IFS up front. It's a win/win IMO.

OP
OP

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
You're still bouncing around in the rear? Sounds like a compromise; decent speed, decent slow and low, but not a master of either? The Wrangler then would be a master of one but not the other?

@Burndog You had a built up TJ, so you probably had a lot of experience with death wobble, on potholes?

Burndog

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You're still bouncing around in the rear? Sounds like a compromise; decent speed, decent slow and low, but not a master of either? The Wrangler then would be a master of one but not the other?

@Burndog You had a built up TJ, so you probably had a lot of experience with death wobble, on potholes?
QUOTE="AcesandEights

Nope. I didn't. I never had the issues people would talk about. But I also built something that "wasn't stock". Sold her to buy the Bronco.

Sponsored
OP
OP

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@Burndog Thanks. I've known maybe fifty people with Jeeps and never known anyone that had experienced death wobble, so I was wondering. I've only ever read about it, but never known anyone that actually had experienced it.

Burndog

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Burndog Thanks. I've known maybe fifty people with Jeeps and never known anyone that had experienced death wobble, so I was wondering. I've only ever read about it, but never known anyone that actually had experienced it.
Being in a club, Wicked Jeeps, there are threads on how to fix it. My stepson bought a new JL and had the experience. Freaked him out. A stock JL. Just saying

ilbastarge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla X
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

From what I know most of the reason why the big luxury subs have IRS besides a smoother ride is for more room inside for a 3rd row and cargo room.
Curious. Is there some reinforcement for the leaves that protudes into the cabin? Suspension/steering is wizardry to me. 🤷
Sponsored