Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is this MIC 2.0? The clicking/rattling has been widely reported in the first edition of the MIC, and I am led to believe that the upgraded version (now being installed on factory Broncos) is a better fit that will not make those same noises. Of course proof will be in the pudding . . .
Mine was built end of october and delivered end of november, so I'm assuming it has what they claim is "MIC 2.0" it has definitely has this rattle/pop right over the driver's head. I'm going to try this foam solution.
Sponsored

level3looper

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think I'm experiencing two different issues. Both related to cold weather.

1. Using the foam on the pins definitely resolved that issue. I was having this issue with temps in the 50s F.
2. This morning, the temps were in the 20s F. I had crackly noise again. This time it seemed to be happening throughout the roof panels. 30 minutes into my drive, with the heater on, the noise eventually went away. If this continues every cold morning, then I don't know if there is a solution - other than heating the car up before heading out.

Jabax4

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Is it more the downward pressure or the pin in the hole that causes the rattle? Was curious if anyone had tried heat shrink wrap over the pin itself, but that would only work if it were the pin and not the downward pressure.

For those using grease, where are you applying it?

November build FE fwiw.

WantSumBronc

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr / 1963 Chevy Nova SS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You guys freaking rock. I was getting ready to take my vehicle in to Ford to have them work on this until I saw this post. Solid community, solid ingenuity from OP, appreciate it!

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The two door loaner I’ve been driving with a MIC 1.0 top has an annoying popping/rattling sound coming from the latch area just above/behind the drivers head (also happens to a lesser degree on the passenger side as well.) Hard to know if this is the same bothersome sound experienced by others here, but I would imagine its not unique to only this vehicle.

I’ve narrowed down the source to the interface between the rounded off pin in the roof panel and the hole this fits into on the painted bracket attached to the frame. I took a one inch square piece of 1/8” thick EVA closed cell foam (aka craft foam) and after unlatching at all four points and lifting the section of the top, I placed it over the hole and under the pin. I then let the roof panel puncture the foam by latching the panel back down. The attached photo hopefully helps to explain. After doing this at both the driver and passenger side, the popping/rattling are completely gone. I’m not sure if the bit of foam protruding down into the hole is what fixed it, the portion of the foam that isn’t punctured, or a combination of the two. I will definitely be experimenting with this further.

Who knows how long this foam will hold up but I think it’s a good starting place for finding a permanent solution to this problem. I’d be interested to know if this is something that has been addressed with the MIC 2.0.

Hopefully someone finds this useful.

UPDATE: 11/20 I’ve utilized this method to eliminate the MIC noise in two different Broncos, including my own. I’ve removed the roof panels and re-installed the original foam pieces when re-installing five or six times now and still having no rattles or pops coming from the top. As easy as it is to just hold on to the foam pieces and re-install and as well as it works, I’m fine with this being the long term solution at this point. I may try experimenting with using some heavy duty 3M double sided tape to permanently attach the foam.

1AFBB2B3-4E0B-4C12-BCE2-E5C42AD8CB70.jpeg
I don’t have my bronco yet but the size looks to about the size of a washer for a garden hose. Try those .

Sponsored

WantSumBronc

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr / 1963 Chevy Nova SS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was having the issue pretty bad right above my head on the drivers side front panel, rear latch. Just performed the fix on mine, see pic. I used a polishing cloth which normally comes with new sunglasses, folded over once. No more noise and took all of 1 minute! 😄
Ford Bronco Solution for popping/rattling MIC top! 827F608A-F7D1-418D-9B55-489E957DB1B7

Nolabel

Wildtrak
First Name
Van
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Would a section of plastic or rubber tubing over the pin help?

Jpursuit

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 f250 king ranch 4wd, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The hole for the pin should be larger, and have a hard nylon plastic grommet. Lite grease on the pin, and problem solved.
I have a mic 2.0 that had same issue on rear driver side panel. I put a 1” square piece of 3m double sided tape next to the alignment pin leaving the red adhesive cover on the panel side of the tape. Rattling stopped. The 3m tape is a little thinner than the foam you described but I think I will put a thin film of rubber or neoprene on the top of the tape and see how that works.

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium; 1994 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a mic 2.0 that had same issue on rear driver side panel. I put a 1” square piece of 3m double sided tape next to the alignment pin leaving the red adhesive cover on the panel side of the tape. Rattling stopped. The 3m tape is a little thinner than the foam you described but I think I will put a thin film of rubber or neoprene on the top of the tape and see how that works.
Good idea, let us know how that works. Hopefully Ford will make a new pin and or grommet to fix this problem.

Delight

Big Bend
First Name
Delight
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sequoia
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I applied a small bit of high-temp grease (some old trailer bearing grease I had laying around) on the ”drivers side front panel, rear latch” post/pin. Has resolved the noise for about 3 weeks now.

Sponsored

Thr33Thr33

Black Diamond
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Driving to the craft store tonight to get some foam to try this out. So glad this post was here!!! Thanks for all the legwork everyone is doing on coming up with solutions. Hopefully something more permanent is coming.

grmmylpa

Big Bend
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 F150, 2020 Ranger Crew Cab,
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm wondering if using the rubber vacuum caps used on old-time carburetors would work too. They come in large enough diameters to cover the pin and would fit on tightly so you wouldn't need to deal with repositioning things every time you remove and reinstall the top. These are pretty inexpensive and can be purchased at most auto parts stores.

**Update: The vacuum plugs are too thick to allow the pin to fit into the bracket. So, I found another solution that is working so far. I wrapped the pins with electrical tape. Then I put a piece over the hole in the bracket and poked a hole through the tape where the hole is. When you push the pin through the hole in the bracket, the tape covering the bracket pushes into the hole and insulates. So far, so good.

Last edited:

GuiGarcia05

Wildtrak
First Name
Guilherme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Got my “mic2.0” delivered on 12/05.
VERY annoying rattling started a little over 500miles in and once temps dropped a bit (seems consistent with everybody else)
The craft foam worked like a charm! 🙌🏽
200 miles with it so far and no more rattling.
AMAZING!

OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Got my “mic2.0” delivered on 12/05.
VERY annoying rattling started a little over 500miles in and once temps dropped a bit (seems consistent with everybody else)
The craft foam worked like a charm! 🙌🏽
200 miles with it so far and no more rattling.
AMAZING!
Great to hear!

TxBowTie

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 silverado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford Bronco Solution for popping/rattling MIC top! 20220101_095505

Mine started last week around 2k miles. I put a square of clear 3m wrap that I used on the sills over and inside the pin holes. Seems to have solved it for now.
Sponsored