First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

As you can see by this thread a variety of materials will fix this horrible issue. I used plastic wrapper out of the trash can at a gas station during a road trip. 500 miles later not a single pop.

7B96BB65-8E26-4227-9B45-674BD3AB9BB2.jpeg
744E81DE-898B-4C19-ADC6-B4F1544B5BA2.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ford Bronco Solution for popping/rattling MIC top! 744E81DE-898B-4C19-ADC6-B4F1544B5BA2

Mine started last week around 2k miles. I put a square of clear 3m wrap that I used on the sills over and inside the pin holes. Seems to have solved it for now.
Good to know a thinner and more permanent material is a possible solution s well. I have a bunch of clear PPF so I’m going to try that as well. It would be nice not to have to keep track of the foam every time I take the panels off.

OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

As you can see by this thread a variety of materials will fix this horrible issue. I used plastic wrapper out of the trash can at a gas station during a road trip. 500 miles later not a single pop.

7B96BB65-8E26-4227-9B45-674BD3AB9BB2.jpeg
744E81DE-898B-4C19-ADC6-B4F1544B5BA2.jpeg
Improvise, adapt, and overcome. I love it!

Rlack75

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm wondering if using the rubber vacuum caps used on old-time carburetors would work too. They come in large enough diameters to cover the pin and would fit on tightly so you wouldn't need to deal with repositioning things every time you remove and reinstall the top. These are pretty inexpensive and can be purchased at most auto parts stores.

**Update: The vacuum plugs are too thick to allow the pin to fit into the bracket. So, I found another solution that is working so far. I wrapped the pins with electrical tape. Then I put a piece over the hole in the bracket and poked a hole through the tape where the hole is. When you push the pin through the hole in the bracket, the tape covering the bracket pushes into the hole and insulates. So far, so good.
Check these caps out.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/mic-2-0-roof-popping.29343/post-1011088

Belem

First Edition
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mazda MX-5/2021 Ford Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I had a nasty rattle and ended up putting some foam in the pins like the OP. Took the Bronco to work this morning and the rattle was still there...

...until I realized that the the passenger seat belt was twisted 45 degrees and was knocking on the b-pillar.

picard-face-palm.gif

Sponsored

Tkekich

Big Bend
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Mine was built end of october and delivered end of november, so I'm assuming it has what they claim is "MIC 2.0" it has definitely has this rattle/pop right over the driver's head. I'm going to try this foam solution.
my mic 2.0 was also delivered in November with the rattle/pop above my left ear. I did the foam trick on both sides, problem solved! Now I'm getting this stupid rattle / pop from somewhere in interior rear cargo area.

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford Bronco Solution for popping/rattling MIC top! picard-face-palm

Mine started last week around 2k miles. I put a square of clear 3m wrap that I used on the sills over and inside the pin holes. Seems to have solved it for now.
I wonder if polythylene tape would do the same. It's 5 mils thick and made for friction and noise reduction.
APT, UHMW (Ultra-high Molecular Weight) Polyethylene Tape, Resists Abrasion, Impact, for Surface Protection and Friction and Noise Reduction for Lining Sliding Surfaces. (1" x 5Yds, 5 Mil UHMW) - - Amazon.com

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Wanting to cover both the flat surface and the inside of the guide pin hole, we used self stick closed cell weather strip. It squeezed almost flat and is fairly stretchy. It squishes down into the pin hole.

Also used this underneath the black factory rubber on the front and rear corners. The black corner rubber is factory molded to move and squash up some under pressure. The weather strip adds just a little more pressure to this and hopefully will stop some wind noise. It flattens out so much that it may not do any good.

IMG_1050.jpeg

IMG_1052.jpeg

BLMike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Ultimate Wrangler and two other normal cars
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Flocking tape I had laying around worked. The silicon spray did not work.

edit…to add I only did the two holes above the driver and passenger heads. That appears to be the place the popping comes from. Other holes have nothing.

Ford Bronco Solution for popping/rattling MIC top! 369B1C7F-60AA-4403-9188-7C52ED9B657C

OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Flocking tape I had laying around worked. The silicon spray did not work.

edit…to add I only did the two holes above the driver and passenger heads. That appears to be the place the popping comes from. Other holes have nothing.

Ford Bronco Solution for popping/rattling MIC top! 369B1C7F-60AA-4403-9188-7C52ED9B657C
Great adaptation of the foam idea. I need to do something like this so I don't have to keep track of the foam scraps I've been using. It's good to know a much thinner material is effective. I haven't heard any noise coming from the rear panel or anywhere else on the top.

Sponsored

BLMike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Ultimate Wrangler and two other normal cars
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great adaptation of the foam idea. I need to do something like this so I don't have to keep track of the foam scraps I've been using. It's good to know a much thinner material is effective. I haven't heard any noise coming from the rear panel or anywhere else on the top.
Now that my front popping has stopped, I have heard something from the back. However, I haven't dug into yet. Sounds like it is coming from the way back. Vehicle is being wrapped this week and the OEM protection on the lip where the rear top sits will get new PPF. Waiting to see if that helps. I am almost tempted to ask him to replace my flocking tape with PPF scraps.

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I used a small piece of a bicycle inner tube, laid it over the hole, and put the panel back in place. It has been a few months already, and I forgot I ever had the problem.

LIKEABOSS

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Just curious did anyone every report this to the dealer or just fix it themselves? We’ll never get a permanent fix from Ford unless people report it through official channels.

Delight

Big Bend
First Name
Delight
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sequoia
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Just put a dap of some trailer wheel axle grease on the post/pin top/left of my head. It's been quiet for >month.

OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just curious did anyone every report this to the dealer or just fix it themselves? We’ll never get a permanent fix from Ford unless people report it through official channels.
I reported the issue to the dealer when I had a loaner OB. Not sure what their official means of reporting the issue to Ford is though. I agree things like this need to be passed on.
Sponsored