First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Just put a dap of some trailer wheel axle grease on the post/pin top/left of my head. It's been quiet for >month.
Problem with grease is it gets on everything and won’t last forever. Tried one wrap of electrical tape today for a more permanent fix than my plastic wrapper condoms. Good so far.
Sponsored

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've only had my mic top for a week. No rattling or any real wind noise yet.... But I did take the 2 front panels out to look at them and apply some seal lube. Gummi fledge or some shit... I can't remember the name lol. At least I know where to look if I do start to get the rattle... I have some things waiting for that too in case it does start lol

mybikeisred

Wildtrak
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 Powerstroke, Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What’s the diameter and length of the pin? I don’t have my bronco yet to experiment with, but could you use a rubber cover cap like these over the pin?
Ford Bronco Solution for popping/rattling MIC top! CD04FE65-EF2A-4C3A-9482-CD6FD7B217A6

and then maybe get some adhesive backed foam and make little washers to stick down on the top side Out of sight?
Ford Bronco Solution for popping/rattling MIC top! 23A04297-74E4-4A59-9FF2-E6666010F8C2

The foam solution from the op sounds like it works great, but from the pics, it looks kinda ghetto. I’m just trying to figure out a more finished looking and permanent solution. If someone could give me the diameter and length of the pin and the diameter of the narrow point of the oval hole it sits in, I may be able to come up with something. I‘m a GC and I build cabinets, I’m always having to find professional looking solutions to problems like this. I’ve also got a huge catalog of random plastic/nylon parts that could possibly have just what we need. What I’m thinking is something shaped like an upside down top hat that would kind of be like a pin cover and washer in one. If we could find some kind of grommet like that with a nice, relatively tight fit over the pin that’s not too thick to still fit through the hole, you could attach it to the pin using two sided tape with some mineral spirits to get the part to slide on, then it will stay put after the mineral spirits dry…like regripping a golf club.

That just gave me another idea…what about those rubber golf tees for hitting off a mat? Like these. That would eliminate vibration whether it’s coming from the top, or inside the hole, and it could be cut down so it’s barely seen. Just a thought, I don’t know how much play there is between the stud and the hole.
Ford Bronco Solution for popping/rattling MIC top! A78A4E62-BF53-4DCE-A792-9DAFE5264E9C

There’s gotta be some product out there that will work that looks better than foam stuffed in a hole.

Last edited:

mybikeisred

Wildtrak
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 Powerstroke, Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Anyone tried little o-ring grommets like this? Would they stay put?
Ford Bronco Solution for popping/rattling MIC top! F26D21B4-0BCD-43F2-9B47-6C107C928C6A

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The really ridiculous thing about this is Ford HAD to have known about the popping, and yet didn't bother to take 5 minutes to come up with a solution, even despite shutting down production for months.

My top also looks identical to the MIC 1.0 I saw. I'm honestly not even convinced there really is a 2.0

Sponsored

4xFord

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The two door loaner I’ve been driving with a MIC 1.0 top has an annoying popping/rattling sound coming from the latch area just above/behind the drivers head (also happens to a lesser degree on the passenger side as well.) Hard to know if this is the same bothersome sound experienced by others here, but I would imagine its not unique to only this vehicle.

I’ve narrowed down the source to the interface between the rounded off pin in the roof panel and the hole this fits into on the painted bracket attached to the frame. I took a one inch square piece of 1/8” thick EVA closed cell foam (aka craft foam) and after unlatching at all four points and lifting the section of the top, I placed it over the hole and under the pin. I then let the roof panel puncture the foam by latching the panel back down. The attached photo hopefully helps to explain. After doing this at both the driver and passenger side, the popping/rattling are completely gone. I’m not sure if the bit of foam protruding down into the hole is what fixed it, the portion of the foam that isn’t punctured, or a combination of the two. I will definitely be experimenting with this further.

Who knows how long this foam will hold up but I think it’s a good starting place for finding a permanent solution to this problem. I’d be interested to know if this is something that has been addressed with the MIC 2.0.

Hopefully someone finds this useful.

UPDATE: 11/20 I’ve utilized this method to eliminate the MIC noise in two different Broncos, including my own. I’ve removed the roof panels and re-installed the original foam pieces when re-installing five or six times now and still having no rattles or pops coming from the top. As easy as it is to just hold on to the foam pieces and re-install and as well as it works, I’m fine with this being the long term solution at this point. I may try experimenting with using some heavy duty 3M double sided tape to permanently attach the foam.

1AFBB2B3-4E0B-4C12-BCE2-E5C42AD8CB70.jpeg
Thanks for posting OP. I simplified your idea a bit using a trimmed "Mega" Nerf dart and I've been happy with the results so far. Who knew having three young boys and a Nerf arsenal could pay off?

EDIT: 500 miles later and still quiet.

Ford Bronco Solution for popping/rattling MIC top! PXL_20220112_210331867

Ford Bronco Solution for popping/rattling MIC top! PXL_20220112_210342378

Last edited:

Lstanman55

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco First Edition Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The two door loaner I’ve been driving with a MIC 1.0 top has an annoying popping/rattling sound coming from the latch area just above/behind the drivers head (also happens to a lesser degree on the passenger side as well.) Hard to know if this is the same bothersome sound experienced by others here, but I would imagine its not unique to only this vehicle.

I’ve narrowed down the source to the interface between the rounded off pin in the roof panel and the hole this fits into on the painted bracket attached to the frame. I took a one inch square piece of 1/8” thick EVA closed cell foam (aka craft foam) and after unlatching at all four points and lifting the section of the top, I placed it over the hole and under the pin. I then let the roof panel puncture the foam by latching the panel back down. The attached photo hopefully helps to explain. After doing this at both the driver and passenger side, the popping/rattling are completely gone. I’m not sure if the bit of foam protruding down into the hole is what fixed it, the portion of the foam that isn’t punctured, or a combination of the two. I will definitely be experimenting with this further.

Who knows how long this foam will hold up but I think it’s a good starting place for finding a permanent solution to this problem. I’d be interested to know if this is something that has been addressed with the MIC 2.0.

Hopefully someone finds this useful.

UPDATE: 11/20 I’ve utilized this method to eliminate the MIC noise in two different Broncos, including my own. I’ve removed the roof panels and re-installed the original foam pieces when re-installing five or six times now and still having no rattles or pops coming from the top. As easy as it is to just hold on to the foam pieces and re-install and as well as it works, I’m fine with this being the long term solution at this point. I may try experimenting with using some heavy duty 3M double sided tape to permanently attach the foam.

Ford Bronco Solution for popping/rattling MIC top! PXL_20220112_210342378
@Jabberwock Thank You. I LOVE my first edition. BUT that cracking noise has been a thorn in my side. I followed your advice, ordered some random sized rubber washers… and added one to the pins as you wrote… and boom. No more sound. Thanks 💪🏼

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is this MIC 2.0? The clicking/rattling has been widely reported in the first edition of the MIC, and I am led to believe that the upgraded version (now being installed on factory Broncos) is a better fit that will not make those same noises. Of course proof will be in the pudding . . .
I've watched videos that the 2.0 makes the same noise.

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well you missed your million dollar deal. You could have cut the pieces and sold a set for $19.99, plus shipping and handling. ;)

Thanks for posting. Good to know.

OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

@Jabberwock Thank You. I LOVE my first edition. BUT that cracking noise has been a thorn in my side. I followed your advice, ordered some random sized rubber washers… and added one to the pins as you wrote… and boom. No more sound. Thanks 💪🏼
Great to hear it solved your problem!

Sponsored

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Really don’t need to overthink this. A double wrap of the pins with electrical tape completely fixes the rattling, and is undetectable if you do it cleanly.

OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Really don’t need to overthink this. A double wrap of the pins with electrical tape completely fixes the rattling, and is undetectable if you do it cleanly.
I'm sure there are a lot of different ways you could solve this problem. I actually tried electrical tape and while it does work to eliminate the noise, after taking the panels off and on several times the tape starts to get nicked when dropping the pin down into the metal bracket and likely would begin to peel off.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I'm sure there are a lot of different ways you could solve this problem. I actually tried electrical tape and while it does work to eliminate the noise, after taking the panels off and on several times the tape starts to get nicked when dropping the pin down into the metal bracket and likely would begin to peel off.
I take mine off often. Tape is holding fine. I anticipate needing to replace the tape some day, and it twill take 2 minutes like the original tape job.

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Solution for popping/rattling MIC top! Screenshot 2022-01-16 10.06.02 AM

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I take mine off often. Tape is holding fine. I anticipate needing to replace the tape some day, and it twill take 2 minutes like the original tape job.
So what is needed are bronco condemns? :rolleyes: Thanks for the update. One less issue to worry about. I watched a video where they purchased a Besttop soft top to solve this problem. It is a father and son team that has a YouTube channel. To bad they didn't read this.
Sponsored