Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks for clarifying. I didn't know that. I Haven't received my Bronco yet. Let alone driven a MIC Top. Ford must have made the hole oblong for side to side flex? If that's the case? @Ford Motor Company should make a custom grommet for the oblong hole. I doubt a nylon pin would be a good idea. And a round metal pin in an oblong metal hole with movement and no grommet is a bad design.
Thatā€™s my thought as well- to allow flex of the frame without putting stress on the roof panels.
Sponsored

CZYHORSVA

Black Diamond
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68,96 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The two door loaner Iā€™ve been driving with a MIC 1.0 top has an annoying popping/rattling sound coming from the latch area just above/behind the drivers head (also happens to a lesser degree on the passenger side as well.) Hard to know if this is the same bothersome sound experienced by others here, but I would imagine its not unique to only this vehicle.

Iā€™ve narrowed down the source to the interface between the rounded off pin in the roof panel and the hole this fits into on the painted bracket attached to the frame. I took a one inch square piece of 1/8ā€ thick EVA closed cell foam (aka craft foam) and after unlatching at all four points and lifting the section of the top, I placed it over the hole and under the pin. I then let the roof panel puncture the foam by latching the panel back down. The attached photo hopefully helps to explain. After doing this at both the driver and passenger side, the popping/rattling are completely gone. Iā€™m not sure if the bit of foam protruding down into the hole is what fixed it, the portion of the foam that isnā€™t punctured, or a combination of the two. I will definitely be experimenting with this further.

Who knows how long this foam will hold up but I think itā€™s a good starting place for finding a permanent solution to this problem. Iā€™d be interested to know if this is something that has been addressed with the MIC 2.0.

Hopefully someone finds this useful.

1AFBB2B3-4E0B-4C12-BCE2-E5C42AD8CB70.jpeg
I used a thick piece of rubber I cut in squares. Itā€™s been fine for 600 miles. And mine is the MIC 2.0 fwiw.
I think the 2.0 top is really 1.1..... I've had the same observations as you. Slight snakeskin/honeycomb and some unfinished edges primarily vertically around the rear corners facing drag. This is where the issues will start playing out eventually. We'll see how it holds up this winter... Mine didn't start the clicking/rattling until about 900 miles and the first major temperature drop of the season.
Similar to what mine did with the popping. Started around 1300 miles. I have a fix for it, Iā€™ll post pics tomorrow. As far as the top itself, no issues other than the noise.

JMerTaw

First Edition
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco First Edition, 1986 Jeep CJ7
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I put some white lithium grease on these pilot pins and carefully reinstalled the tops and alleviated the issue. Will continue to add line as needed, but seems like an easy fix!

OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My 2.0 top did finally start popping the other day when temps were down into the upper 40ā€™s. Got out the craft foam again, cut a few squares and the sound is gone again. So at least my results have been repeatable. If grease works too, thatā€™s great. Iā€™m sure there will be more than one way to fix this problem. I will say though, 2.0 doesnā€™t look any different to me than the 1.0. Honeycomb pattern still present on the day I got the Bronco.

broncoky

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2DR CB OBX SAS & 2000 Lexus LS400
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My 2.0 top did finally start popping the other day when temps were down into the upper 40ā€™s. Got out the craft foam again, cut a few squares and the sound is gone again. So at least my results have been repeatable. If grease works too, thatā€™s great. Iā€™m sure there will be more than one way to fix this problem. I will say though, 2.0 doesnā€™t look any different to me than the 1.0. Honeycomb pattern still present on the day I got the Bronco.
Mine started when the temp dropped to just a little below 40 for the first time. The cold weather does something to the top. Your solution is still working great for me. I removed one of the panels to look at something and the foam stayed in place when I replaced the panel. I have a couple extra squares of craft foam in the glovebox. It's brown and goes great with my roast cloth interior. šŸ˜‚

Sponsored

LIKEABOSS

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I used a thick piece of rubber I cut in squares. Itā€™s been fine for 600 miles. And mine is the MIC 2.0 fwiw.

Similar to what mine did with the popping. Started around 1300 miles. I have a fix for it, Iā€™ll post pics tomorrow. As far as the top itself, no issues other than the noise.
Any pics? My MIC 2.0 roof started popping towards the rear with the temp drop.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Interesting - guess the hole needs a thin nylon bushing or rubber grommet.

OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Pics are on the first post of the thread. Just unlatch the panels, push the panel up a bit and put a piece of craft foam under the plastic pin. Lower the panel back down over the foam and re-latch the panel. The pin will punch through the foam (if itā€™s thin enough) and your rattling will be gone.

LIKEABOSS

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Pics are on the first post of the thread. Just unlatch the panels, push the panel up a bit and put a piece of craft foam under the plastic pin. Lower the panel back down over the foam and re-latch the panel. The pin will punch through the foam (if itā€™s thin enough) and your rattling will be gone.
Thanks, I just ordered some foam and will report back with results. The popping is driving me nuts as you can only drown out so much with the radio.

Last edited:

broncoky

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2DR CB OBX SAS & 2000 Lexus LS400
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks I just ordered some foam and will report back with results.
If it starts to bother you enough while your waiting for the foam to come in, or if it's not too late to cancel your order... Stop by a local craft store and pick up a sheet or two for practically nothing.....

I bought the sheet from Hobby Lobby.... I also included a link for Michaels.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-H...m/Black-Foam-Sheet---12"-x-18"-x-5mm/p/111098

https://www.michaels.com/creatology-foam-sheet-6mm/M10390268.html

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If it starts to bother you enough while your waiting for the foam to come in, or if it's not too late to cancel your order... Stop by a local craft store and pick up a sheet or two for practically nothing.....

I bought the sheet from Hobby Lobby.... I also included a link for Michaels.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-H...m/Black-Foam-Sheet---12"-x-18"-x-5mm/p/111098

https://www.michaels.com/creatology-foam-sheet-6mm/M10390268.html
Interesting - guess the hole needs a thin nylon bushing or rubber grommet.

I believe Walmart also has it in the crafts section.

UberGadgetFreak

First Edition
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 FE Bronco 22 FE Mav, 23 Mav Tremor, 03 Marauder
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Mine was built 10/7. I had the rattle, mostly coming from the passenger side panel.

I had some extra foam pieces laying around (oddly from a license plate frame that came with anti-rattle foam to go behind the bolt holes). I kept the bolt hole cutouts and glad I did! to put around the metal where the hole is oblong near the outer rear latches on the front panel:
Ford Bronco Solution for popping/rattling MIC top! 1636565522160

I would take a photo, but its all back together and its about to rain, so hopefully this will help.

Red shows where I put in the foam. It wraps around the metal and has some wicked strong adhesive.

I did this on both sides just to make sure. Now, no clicks, ticks, taps, or other strange noises other than the ones I make :)

CZYHORSVA

Black Diamond
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68,96 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ill get some in a day or two. My wife and I have very different schedules.

e90steve

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think the 2.0 top is really 1.1..... I've had the same observations as you. Slight snakeskin/honeycomb and some unfinished edges primarily vertically around the rear corners facing drag. This is where the issues will start playing out eventually. We'll see how it holds up this winter... Mine didn't start the clicking/rattling until about 900 miles and the first major temperature drop of the season.
Mine started rattling today as well at 1,300 miles. Weather starting to drop here in Atlanta as well. Left the car outside a few nights for the first time. Seems no tops are immune to the issue.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If my roof begins to make this noise, I'll just plastidip the bracket. Or find an oval rubber grommet.
Sponsored