Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If my roof begins to make this noise, I'll just plastidip the bracket. Or find an oval rubber grommet.
Might work. Let us know if you have any success.
The grommet wouldn’t need to be oval, a round one of the correct size would contour to the oval shape if the rubber is pliable enough. Only tricky part might be finding a grommet of the proper diameter that will also work with the thickness of the steel bracket.
I’ve yet to determine if the noise is caused by lateral movement of the rounded pin colliding with the sides of the hole in the bracket, or vertical movement of the rounded pin.
I’m all for a more elegant solution if someone can come up with one.
Sponsored

Last edited:

level3looper

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I took this vid yesterday. Is this the sound everyone is hearing? It ruins an otherwise quiet lovely drive. I'll be getting some foam today.

OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I took this vid yesterday. Is this the sound everyone is hearing? It ruins an otherwise quiet lovely drive. I'll be getting some foam today.

Yes, sounds like it to me. Yours is even noisier than mine was but I found the level of noise was directly related to ambient temperature, obviously with colder temperatures things shrink and it rattles a lot more. Being in NY vs GA I’m not surprised yours is worse than mine. Hopefully the foam works for you and you can enjoy your time off road even more. Report back and let us know if it works for you. Good luck!

Last edited:

ProdigyJKU

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Had this happen on my 4dr 2.0 MIC once temperature dropped around freezing. I simply wiped a little spray silicone on the alignment pin and haven't had a issue since.

Had the same thing happen on my 2012 Wrangler hardtop as well.

87gpe

First Edition
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe, Supra
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
My 2.0 MIC is ungodly annoying over the passenger side. I couldn't take it on one drive and had my wife just flip the latch over her head and it's mostly gone away. I haven't taken the time to work on figuring out what - but it was also tied to ambient weather, as it got cold, that thing got obnoxious.

Sponsored

LABRONCO58

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I slid an even thinner piece of foam under mine and it seems to have done the trick. The foam is thin enough where it fits snugly around the pin thru the hole without puncturing the foam. Thanks for the post.

OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I slid an even thinner piece of foam under mine and it seems to have done the trick. The foam is thin enough where it fits snugly around the pin thru the hole without puncturing the foam. Thanks for the post.
Great to hear it worked and happy to help.

Bdisco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘88 911,‘15 Chevy 2500, ‘24 Acura Integra Type S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The clicking / popping will drive you nuts. Washboard roads sometimes make me want to off road mine into a tree.

Will try some self adhesive felt furniture glides around the pins and tighten up on the latches.

level3looper

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, sounds like it to me. Yours is even noisier than mine was but I found the level of noise was directly related to ambient temperature, obviously with colder temperatures things shrink and it rattles a lot more. Being in NY vs GA I’m not surprised yours is worse than mine. Hopefully the foam works for you and you can enjoy your time off road even more. Report back and let us know if it works for you. Good luck!
Another thank you for your post pointing me to try the foam bits. I have had the foam in place for a few days now. The crackling noise is completely gone. As @LABRONCO58 did, I also used a thinner piece of foam that stayed with the pins when pushing the pin with foam through the hole.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Any evidence so far that the foam could affect getting a good seal and cause a leak?

Sponsored

level3looper

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Any evidence so far that the foam could affect getting a good seal and cause a leak?
I bought a rainbow pack of 2mm thick craft foam. For $5, I have enough for a lifetime for this task. Other than filling the pin hole, it squishes down to nothing. I'm sure it wont have an impact on the seal, though I'll comment again if I see anything.

I used the purple foam to make it easier to see what the foam is doing.
Ford Bronco Solution for popping/rattling MIC top! 20211201_160237
Ford Bronco Solution for popping/rattling MIC top! 20211201_160244

OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Another thank you for your post pointing me to try the foam bits. I have had the foam in place for a few days now. The crackling noise is completely gone. As @LABRONCO58 did, I also used a thinner piece of foam that stayed with the pins when pushing the pin with foam through the hole.
Great to hear it’s worked for you as well. Happy to have helped.

OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I bought a rainbow pack of 2mm thick craft foam. For $5, I have enough for a lifetime for this task. Other than filling the pin hole, it squishes down to nothing. I'm sure it wont have an impact on the seal, though I'll comment again if I see anything.

I used the purple foam to make it easier to see what the foam is doing.
Great idea with the contrasting foam color to show others how this works.

OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I’ve had zero leaks so far even with the heavy rain we get in Georgia. I would imagine as long as you aren’t using too thick a piece of foam it shouldn’t be a problem.

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’ve been stocking up on grease and zip ties for these bronco fixes. My girlfriend kinda gave me a concerned look. :ROFLMAO:
Sponsored