Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
SOLUTION:
Check your lug nuts if you’re running aftermarket wheels! Ensure they’re torqued evenly and not overtorqued. See post below.

Started to get some Jeep-like behavior recently. When getting up to ~60mph, it does still track relatively straight, but the steering wheel begins to jitter and shake like there’s a solid axle underneath. In terms of aftermarket components in the IFS, im running the following:

Broncbuster tie rod brace
Broncbuster steering rack bushing
Icon 3” spacer on stock Non-sas non-BL shocks
37 wildpeaks on black rhino beadlocks

I’ve attached a couple videos of it happening and some alignment specs. The paper with 2.1/2.8 caster was before I got the Camburg UCAs with no deathwobble present. I installed the camburg UCAs to get a higher caster to be more in spec on the alignment and clear the fender liner rub. The other sheet with a 3.7/4.8 caster is my current alignment specs.

Its been a few hundred miles since that UCA and other parts install detailed above and now I’ve got a mini death wobble.

Anybody have ideas on what’s causing/fix?

my first thought was the caster being too low, so I went to see if I could get it higher. However, alignment shop said the caster was already close to safely max’d

Current alignment spec as of today (i did have near this same alignment spec for about a month before the death wobble started):
Ford Bronco [SOLVED] Getting Mini Deathwobble at speed 4830436B-1B5D-4237-89C3-1DA826B21EFC

last Alignment spec from February (when it was basically factory new with the 3” spacer lift, no wobble):
Ford Bronco [SOLVED] Getting Mini Deathwobble at speed E1B5BAEC-09EF-43FF-B944-42F66AE1E5A8
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I also have this on a stock big bend
Interesting, I thought for sure it was a lifted/modified vehicle thing. Can pretty much guarantee thats how the dealership will see it if I take it in.

Saltlife4shore

Big Bend
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I don't think it has any thing to do with your lift setup. What size engine do you have? Rpm's are low, and your truck is prob kicking into 9th or 10th gear. Any chance your having turbo issues. I say this because I experience the same thing, sometimes even harsher shake in the wheel when my turbo isn't working correctly.

This is when I know I'm having turbo issues.

Last edited:

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have you had the tires re-balanced? It seems obvious Ford will struggle with warranty work on a problem likely tied to the lift or bushing replacement in the rack. For the BB owner, take it to the dealer.

Sponsored

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This sounds just like steering nibble. Kind of common especially on EPAS steering. Your caster does appear to be at and above the upper limit of the Sasquatch spec (3.18° +- 0.6) so I think it’s extra nibble induced from that. The software in the EPAS has a nibble control feature however it’s designed around stock systems and I’m sure gets a little more hard to control with a modified suspension/tire size like that.

Dubsesd

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Ford F-150, 06 Roush Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Are you in 4A when it’s happening? I have a 3” lift and I get a vibration under acceleration only on 4A.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 Land Rover 90 p/u, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Started to get some Jeep-like behavior from the Bronco recently. When getting up to ~60mph, it does still track relatively straight, but the steering wheel begins to jitter and shake like there’s a solid axle underneath. In terms of aftermarket components in the IFS, im running the following:

Broncbuster tie rod brace
Broncbuster steering rack bushing
Icon 3” spacer on stock Non-sas non-BL shocks
37 wildpeaks

I’ve attached a couple videos of it happening and some alignment specs. The paper with 2.1/2.8 caster was before I got the Camburg UCAs with no deathwobble present. I installed the camburg UCAs to get a higher caster to be more in spec on the alignment and clear the fender liner rub. The other sheet with a 3.7/4.8 caster is my current alignment specs.

Its been a few hundred miles since that UCA and other parts install detailed above and now I’ve got a mini death wobble.

Anybody have ideas on what’s causing/fix?

my first thought was the caster being too low, so I went to see if I could get it higher. However, alignment shop said the caster was already close to safely max’d

Current alignment spec as of today (i did have near this same alignment spec for about a month before the death wobble started):
Ford Bronco [SOLVED] Getting Mini Deathwobble at speed E1B5BAEC-09EF-43FF-B944-42F66AE1E5A8

last Alignment spec from February (when it was basically factory new with the 3” spacer lift, no wobble):
How long have you been running the 37s? "E" rated tire I presume? Not uncommon for larger tires to be a PIA to get balanced.

Bschurr

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Braptor / 2023 Heritage LE / 2016 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

If your alignment is OK, have your tires ROAD FORCE BALANCED and the vibration will be gone.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I second the tires out of balance. Not all shops can balance tires properly. Depends on the technician's experience and quality of the machine used. The bigger the tire, the more of a chance it's going to need more weights and could be harder to balance. Also tires could be out of round or wheel bent. A lot of weights can take care of this.

I ordered brand new 31 X 10.50 tires for my 97 Wrangler 2 years ago from Tire Rack. Had them mounted and balanced at a local tire shop. They did a great job but some of the wheels needed a lot of weights for the balance to come in- and they used an experienced tech to do the final dial in and install of the weights. No vibration or wobble at all.

Sponsored

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

(Zips up rain poncho and slides on goggles) just put balancing beads in your wheels. just make sure there is enough of them in there. Balance issue at speed = solved

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

(Zips up rain poncho and slides on goggles) just put balancing beads in your wheels. just make sure there is enough of them in there. Balance issue at speed = solved
Not sure what the first part of the post references, but I've used balancing beads for tire/wheel combos that could not be balanced any other way due to compatibility with the equipment. Worked fine.

For a normal DD, I'd still rather get a traditional balance with weights. Otherwise you live with the low speed unbalanced vibration you get with balancing beads every time you take off.

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Issues like this is exactly why I opted for Sasquatch instead of diy lifting...too many variables and potential warranty problems. If a stock vehicle does this just dump in dealers lap and say "fix it".

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Not sure what the first part of the post references, but I've used balancing beads for tire/wheel combos that could not be balanced any other way due to compatibility with the equipment. Worked fine.

For a normal DD, I'd still rather get a traditional balance with weights. Otherwise you live with the low speed unbalanced vibration you get with balancing beads every time you take off.
Low speed death wobble is preferable to high speed death wobble. But even the dreaded Jeep wobble is or was not all that dangerous, just annoying. Premature tire wear but wobble alone won't cause a crash. I had two Cherokees last century and only the second one ever developed wobble, Cured it when I pulled the engine and replaced the leading link bushings while standing in the empty engine bay
Sponsored