Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier Prox4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am looking for help with my trailer lights wiring harness. I've done the install following (almost) all instructions for my LED version of my badlands bronco. My brake lights work fine, however the taillights do not work at all (I have tried the switch in all positions.) When I called CURT, he said (but he didnt sound like he had a ton of confidence), "There is a known issue with that part number and we don't have a resolution date. Just keep checking back with us. That is all I know."

Looking through the forum, no one else is reporting an issue with this wiring harness. I still assume its something I have done wrong; or not completed. (I did call my vendor and they have not heard of any problems and are not seeing a lot of returns on the part number.)

The "almost" comment I made above has to do with a note on the installation instructions that says: " If using the converter as a powered module for a two-wire system, the red brake wire must be grounded." However, I don't know if I am a "two-wire" system or any-wire-count-system. I don't want to cut the red wire and ground it, if perhaps it should remain intact. My trailer wiring has the 4 wires going to the tail lights for blinker and running lights, (so three for the electrical and one for the ground?) But I really don't know. I haven't ever connected the trailer yet as the problem presented itself immediately upon installation.

I will disconnect the harness to restore function unless anyone here has any suggestions for me to try?

Thank you in advance.

Wiring Harness Part Link
Sponsored

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bschurr

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Braptor / 2023 Heritage LE / 2016 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I am looking for help with my trailer lights wiring harness. I've done the install following (almost) all instructions for my LED version of my badlands bronco. My brake lights work fine, however the taillights do not work at all (I have tried the switch in all positions.) When I called CURT, he said (but he didnt sound like he had a ton of confidence), "There is a known issue with that part number and we don't have a resolution date. Just keep checking back with us. That is all I know."

Looking through the forum, no one else is reporting an issue with this wiring harness. I still assume its something I have done wrong; or not completed. (I did call my vendor and they have not heard of any problems and are not seeing a lot of returns on the part number.)

The "almost" comment I made above has to do with a note on the installation instructions that says: " If using the converter as a powered module for a two-wire system, the red brake wire must be grounded." However, I don't know if I am a "two-wire" system or any-wire-count-system. I don't want to cut the red wire and ground it, if perhaps it should remain intact. My trailer wiring has the 4 wires going to the tail lights for blinker and running lights, (so three for the electrical and one for the ground?) But I really don't know. I haven't ever connected the trailer yet as the problem presented itself immediately upon installation.

I will disconnect the harness to restore function unless anyone here has any suggestions for me to try?

Thank you in advance.

Wiring Harness Part Link
No need to ground that wire if you have LED lights.

A few thoughts:
Did you ground the actual ground wire of the wire harness?
Did you install the fuse on the power wire that you ran up to the battery?
Did you confirm that the 2 pigtail plugs for each tail lamp are fully seated?

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All I can say is that module worked fine in my Badlands, installed as per the instructions.

Check the inline fuse? (assuming you used the included fuse holder)

TXscooterguy

Black Diamond
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Corvette Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm guessing here, but in old days turn signals and brake lights were both red. Now some turn signals can be amber and thus require two wires. That's just a guess.

Sponsored

SZairborne

Big Bend
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge charger GT AWD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My suggestion is to pull out a multimeter and work your way up the wires till you find the power loss.

OP
OP
rancid53

rancid53

Badlands
First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier Prox4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No need to ground that wire if you have LED lights.

A few thoughts:
Did you ground the actual ground wire of the wire harness?
Did you install the fuse on the power wire that you ran up to the battery?
Did you confirm that the 2 pigtail plugs for each tail lamp are fully seated?
These are great suggestions. I did ground the white (grounding) wire to the frame. I will try to remove that screw and sand the area and reinstall.

I did install the fuse and I have the hot wire attached to one of the spare posts on the + battery side.

I need to confirm that both pigtails are seated fully. I was careful to listen for a CLICK when I attached them, but I think that is a great suggestion.

OP
OP
rancid53

rancid53

Badlands
First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier Prox4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My suggestion is to pull out a multimeter and work your way up the wires till you find the power loss.
That will be the next step should the other suggestions not work. Thank you for the idea!

OP
OP
rancid53

rancid53

Badlands
First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier Prox4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm guessing here, but in old days turn signals and brake lights were both red. Now some turn signals can be amber and thus require two wires. That's just a guess.
Thank you - I think the wiring harness has the right wires and pigtails - others have used it without error.

OP
OP
rancid53

rancid53

Badlands
First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier Prox4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Bschurr

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Braptor / 2023 Heritage LE / 2016 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

These are great suggestions. I did ground the white (grounding) wire to the frame. I will try to remove that screw and sand the area and reinstall.

I did install the fuse and I have the hot wire attached to one of the spare posts on the + battery side.

I need to confirm that both pigtails are seated fully. I was careful to listen for a CLICK when I attached them, but I think that is a great suggestion.
BTW - I grounded the harness wire right at the driver side tail light assembly - there is a small metal rail that runs horizontally to attach the assembly to the body and I unscrewed the bolt & used that location for ground. Much easier than running the wire down the bumper and drilling a hole that will ultimately rust!

Trino351c

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, John Deere Tractor, Snowshoes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Was the battery disconnected before working on the vehicle. If not it caused the issue, my brother installed his without disconnecting the battery. The lights acted weird and the turn signals did not work. It was an easy fix.

1. disconnect the battery
2. remove aftermarket harness connectors
3. Reconnect the factory harness
4. Connect battery and restart vehicle. all lights should work again
5 disconnect the battery and reinstall the aftermarket harness
6. reconnect the battery and start vehicle. Everything should work fine

new vehicles do not like things disconnected while battery is hooked up

OP
OP
rancid53

rancid53

Badlands
First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier Prox4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Was the battery disconnected before working on the vehicle. If not it caused the issue, my brother installed his without disconnecting the battery. The lights acted weird and the turn signals did not work. It was an easy fix.

1. disconnect the battery
2. remove aftermarket harness connectors
3. Reconnect the factory harness
4. Connect battery and restart vehicle. all lights should work again
5 disconnect the battery and reinstall the aftermarket harness
6. reconnect the battery and start vehicle. Everything should work fine

new vehicles do not like things disconnected while battery is hooked up
I will do these first and update the thread with results. This sounds right. I actually did the install a month ago, but dont drive it after dark much and then was vacationing out of the country, so I didn't realize that they were out. I "think" I did the battery disconnect first, but I am not sure. This seems promising though.

Thank you for the response. I am awarding you with 1000 karma points!

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hmmm...I'm stumped. I like that suggestion about resetting the control box. You definitely do not need to cut the red wire with the LED setup. The only other thing that I can think of, now that Curt has two different part numbers for the two configurations, but looking at them you would never know the difference....maybe they sent you the wrong one??

OP
OP
rancid53

rancid53

Badlands
First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier Prox4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

SOLVED! - so I took the short cut version of resetting the system. Before I did a complete disconnect of the harness, I disconnected the Ground from the batter and took the power wire off the positive post. I left it for about 1 minute an just for grins, reconnected the negative ground to the battery. Cranked her up and all lights were working. I then removed the ground wire from the batter terminal and reconnected the power to the light harness and then the ground. Cranked up again and all was well. It was a quick and easy fix.

Thanks to everyone and @Trino351c for the suggestions.
Sponsored