skoorb76

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well I bought the Aeroskin II hood shield and finally got a day in the 60s in Michigan to put it on. Used my own IPA solution as opposed to the alcohol pad provided, no issues. Then I, stupidly following directions, used the "prep pad" which has a cocktail of strong organic solvents in it. As I'm wiping across where the tape will go, it starts obviously dissolving the ceramic coating.

I REALLY started freaking out when the Antimatter Blue started magically swirling into a much lighter shade and wondered if all the paint was dissolving also!!! It was not that, the AMB just is such a weird light-directional color that the redistribution of the coating caused some sort of prismatic effect. The coating was totally screwed on the front of the hood, completely gone in spots and redistributed all around in smeared high/low spots otherwise. The paint and clear coat underneath was OK.

Panicked call to my detailer, ran it over there and he tested some polish on it to remove the softened coating to convince us both that it was OK. Getting it fixed this weekend... lesson learned

Ford Bronco Solvent messed up my ceramic coat 20220317_125134

Ford Bronco Solvent messed up my ceramic coat 20220317_125142

Ford Bronco Solvent messed up my ceramic coat 20220317_125146
Sponsored

Last edited:

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Damn, sorry that happened to you.

Yeah that solvent stuff is gnarly, changed the color of my trash can lid.