Sponsored

Some Texans use 2021 F-150 hybrids onboard generator to power homes amid winter storm

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeehaw Texas

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I guess that will work till you run out of gas which will probably also be in short supply if no electric to power the pumps.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I didn't realize they had a 7.2kW option. That's a good size generator, although, not very efficient if it is powered by 6 or 8 cylinders. Would be cool if it had "generator mode" or something that would prevent theft and also deactivate cylinders for better efficiency.

And if anybody does this or uses a a regular generator to feed their panel, please make sure you install a transfer switch that prevents you from sending power into the grid.

Edit. More info
Edit2. And now you got me B&Ping a new F150, the new ones even have their own version of GOAT modes (mine has normal/tow/sport) so thanks, thanks a lot

Last edited:

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
I didn't realize they had a 7.2kW option. That's a good size generator, although, not very efficient if it is powered by 6 or 8 cylinders. Would be cool if it had "generator mode" or something that would prevent theft and also deactivate cylinders for better efficiency.

And if anybody does this or uses a a regular generator to feed their panel, please make sure you install a transfer switch that prevents you from sending power into the grid.
Car engines are actually surprisingly efficient to use as a generator. TFL charged a Nissan Leaf with a powerboost F-150 and it used 3 gallons over 3 hours at max capacity basically the whole time. And all it does is idle. Just looking around it seems like a gallon per hour sounds just about right for an actual generator.

Portapot

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj7, RX350, f250,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
With the bronco delays I was considering this vehicle with the 7.2Kw generator for this very reason but then I thought when will I really need a generator. I guess those guys in Texas are pretty pleased with their decision. This is very cool

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

First saw this yesterday from jalopnik...

Nellman

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Fo
Ford did think of this to prevent theft of the vehicle. I would have loved to get an F-150 King Ranch but can't justify the $75k cost for how I would want it. Bronco will be great and keeping my '07 Tundra.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Lilj4425

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wonder if something like this was offered in the Bronco and Ranger if it would attract more overlanders?
I am very surprised Ford doesn’t offer this feature in the Bronco and Ranger. Seems like a no brainer.

TXNavy

Badlands
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon XLT 1500 4x4, Jeep Liberty Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Ranger I can understand with its open bed but the Bronco may have issues due to the generator having to be inside the cabin.

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs