Something's wrong with the suspension

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is the vehicle under warranty? If so, why not let the dealer sort it out?
Yours will work on/align/ etc. Broncos with lifts/Aftermarket suspension components?
If so, great! Ya'll are awesome.

I got turned down by 3 local dealerships for an alignment (literally said they won't even look at a vehicle that is not stock height). All 3 same story, same outcome.
Took it to some privately-owned alignment/tire shop in the city and they fixed it right up.

Long story short, installed the SVC perches and saw I had some camber adjustment needed on the pass. side afterwards.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Burronco

Burronco

Base
First Name
Kix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr 2.3 MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Is the vehicle under warranty? If so, why not let the dealer sort it out?
It is under warranty, of course. But 2 things:

1. I don't like waiting 2 months for an appointment just to get a "can't replicate issue" and "you have aftermarket components". Even if it's something they can fix under warranty, it will probably take another 4 months for them to do it. I'm not blessed with a good Ford Dealer & Service in my area.

2. This vehicle is a toy, and working on it in the middle of the night is my stress relief. I don't care for resale value or keeping everything OEM with service records. It's a toy, it gets used and abused, it helps me learn new things, and ultimately helps me connect with other folks (like all of you on this thread) that have similar interests and passions as myself.

OP
OP
Burronco

Burronco

Base
First Name
Kix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr 2.3 MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Take a frontal pic of the whole front suspension so we can see your LCA angles and everything else. I would like to see your upper and lower ball joint angles while at rest with wheels straight. Then if you have a buddy around, take new vid of both left and right UCA & LCA while dry steer full lock to lock. And we can do without the music this time, just the suspension sound.
Will do a better video tonight. Trying a reupload with a muted video. youtube copyrights suck.

On the last alignment, I know the LCAs were pushed out pretty much all the way. I'm not sure if I can get the alignment numbers, but I'll ask the shop if they have a record.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is under warranty, of course. But 2 things:

1. I don't like waiting 2 months for an appointment just to get a "can't replicate issue" and "you have aftermarket components". Even if it's something they can fix under warranty, it will probably take another 4 months for them to do it. I'm not blessed with a good Ford Dealer & Service in my area.

2. This vehicle is a toy, and working on it in the middle of the night is my stress relief. I don't care for resale value or keeping everything OEM with service records. It's a toy, it gets used and abused, it helps me learn new things, and ultimately helps me connect with other folks (like all of you on this thread) that have similar interests and passions as myself.
Fair enough.

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, 3500HD Chevy, Rav4Prime, Turbo Skidoo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm I going crazy? I see the UCA sliding back and forth on the bushings, changing castor as the suspension cycles.

*cough* Icon *cough*

Only UCA with a joint with greater range of motion than OEM I think, unless something else has come out recently.
Yeah, check the torque on the UCA bolt first.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/front-end-torque-specs.43635/post-1471092
  1. NOTICE: Tighten the suspension bushing fasteners with the suspension raised by a jack to curb height or with the weight of the vehicle resting on the wheels and tires. Otherwise, damage to the bushings may occur.
    Tighten the new upper arm bolt and nut.
    Torque: 122 lb.ft (165 Nm)

Watching in slow-mo, the steering knuckle does appear to move quite a bit when you see the pop, is something else binding down there?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Burronco

Burronco

Base
First Name
Kix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr 2.3 MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Here is an attemp for a better video with some fancy shmancy slo-mo. It seems it aint the UCA, but maybe LCA? Tomorrow during daylight I'll attempt to duct tape my phone to another part of the underbody to record the LCA.

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is this happening on both sides?! Have you checked over everything you took apart for missing washers/bushings, lose bolts?! Did you tq down the lower coilovers bolts?! Recheck everything. Put a wrench on everything you touched.

V1Rotate

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Check your spring for evidence of the tie rod hitting the spring when turned? That was a known issue with early Icons). Make sure the half shaft is correctly seated in both the diff and the hub? Make sure you didn’t accidentally pull a CV apart? Could also try loosening every bolt a touch when its sitting at ride height and re-torquing

Last edited:

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My first thought watching this was ‘spring’. Something sounds like it’s binding with the spring and I agree with the above comments I don’t think we are visually able to see the moment if bind. It may very well be lower. But the geometry will shift the vehicle as you turn the wheel and move forward and back.

It could also be something related to lower steering inputs (tie rod, etc). The good news is that although this may seem maddening there really are only a handful of possibilities.

If you do get that GoPro see if you can mount it to the backside of your bumper facing to the rear, filming the suspension cycling from the front face. That I suspect will answer some questions and/or rule out a number of variables.

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Something is hitting that coilover...likely the tie rod. Put jackstands under the LCAs near the coilover mounting point, put the full wieght of the vehicle on them, and remove the frt tires, then turn side to side by hand and watch

OP
OP
Burronco

Burronco

Base
First Name
Kix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr 2.3 MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Is this happening on both sides?! Have you checked over everything you took apart for missing washers/bushings, lose bolts?! Did you tq down the lower coilovers bolts?! Recheck everything. Put a wrench on everything you touched.
Yup. Going over everything tonight again. I think it is the lower coilover bolts, but need to confirm.

OP
OP
Burronco

Burronco

Base
First Name
Kix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr 2.3 MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Tonight's adventure is duct-taping my phone to show the lower parts of the suspension—apologies for the one-a-day video cadence.

OP
OP
Burronco

Burronco

Base
First Name
Kix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr 2.3 MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ohhh la la...

Followed SnowBronco's advice and went through all bolts and nuts to check if any of them were loose. Found out rear LCA bolts (on both driver and passanger side) were not torqued enough. They were tight, but not enough I suppose. For the sake of the video, I drove one more time with my phone poorly taped to the inside of the bumper. Look at this thing dancing around!

I will take it back for proper alignment. For now I just torqued everything down to spec, and its probably way off on alignment.

I guess this wraps up what the "Something" was in "Something's Wrong" 🫠

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Wow. Yup. That as they say is that. Amazing in this day to duct tape a 4K camera to your bumper for that front suspension video. Well you are going to be good to go.

One question- was this truck previously aligned??? Bc if so they probably are responsible or whoever installed the lift. They often loosen the LCAs to assist droop in suspension
Sponsored