First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BaseSquatch, 2021 Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
From the minute I drove the Bronco off the lot I knew I had to upgrade the base sound system. It was just pure garbage. It took me a lot of time brainstorming and scouring these forums for the best budget conscious approach. Ultimately I decided to upgrade it in stages, by first replacing the dash speakers with Kicker 43DS series drop in replacements. There was an immediate difference in output power and high notes that didn't exist with the stock speakers.

After that I replaced the kick panel speakers with 6.5" JBL GTO629's and I had to buy the metra wiring harness and mounting bracket. The only issue here is that I couldn't get the grill back on due to the tweeters sticking out just a touch too far. These speakers made a nice difference, again with the output power and also provided mid-bass which was missing before.

After these upgrades I noticed a couple of things. The front speakers completely overwhelmed the rear pods to the point where it didn't even seem like there were speakers back there. Also, the 4" dash speakers cannot handle any bass at all, so I wound up buying and installing 300hz bass blockers which got rid of the distortion there.

I decided the next step was to replace the rear pods with the same Kicker 43DS that I put in the dash. No need to put 300hz bass blockers here since the factory stereo cuts the low frequencies to the rear pods. I did however stuff polyfill inside the pods to help direct the sound forward. I want to say the polyfill helped, but I honestly have no idea if it did. Overall the sound quality improved greatly once I got these speakers in because it created more of a surround sound, whereas before all of the sound was coming from the front of the vehicle.

I left it this way for quite some time, mulling over what my next move would be. I wanted a sub since the only thing lacking was deep bass, but at the same time I didn't want to have a clunky sub box sitting in the trunk. I thought about a small powered sub to put under the front seat but didn't think it would provide enough punch. I also was wary about doing this work myself. I'm not an electronics expert by any stretch, and this seemed like it would stretch my capabilities to the max. Ultimately I decided to go to a local stereo shop and see what thoughts they had. I'm glad I did. They actually have a new Wildtrak bronco that was going to be one of the shops show vehicles. The guy took me to the back to show me the truck and everything they were doing to it. That's when they showed me the Stinger tailgate mounted sub with the amp powering it tucked away under the floor. Super clean install but since they were actively working on the truck I couldn't listen to the system. I decided to take a leap of faith and have them install the same Stinger tailgate sub on my Bronco. I just had the work done yesterday and wow! This thing sounds amazing! My system is finally complete and I couldn't be happier. I highly recommend the Stinger tailgate sub, and if anyone is in the Tampa area, I also highly recommend Auto Styles in Oldsmar. Great group of guys that do amazing work. They also did my custom Katzkin leather re-upholstery a few months ago. I will update this post with some pictures in a little while as I'm not able to get outside to my truck right now.

TL/DR - I installed Kicker 43DS speakers in the dash and rear pods.
6.5" JBL GTO 629's in the kick panels with metra harness and bracket.
No amp to interior speakers.
Stinger tailgate sub with JL 500 watt amp tucked underneath trunk floor.
1000x times better sound than stock.
Approximately $1,700 total invested including the professional shop installation for the sub/amp.
Sponsored

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
From the minute I drove the Bronco off the lot I knew I had to upgrade the base sound system. It was just pure garbage. It took me a lot of time brainstorming and scouring these forums for the best budget conscious approach. Ultimately I decided to upgrade it in stages, by first replacing the dash speakers with Kicker 43DS series drop in replacements. There was an immediate difference in output power and high notes that didn't exist with the stock speakers.

After that I replaced the kick panel speakers with 6.5" JBL GTO629's and I had to buy the metra wiring harness and mounting bracket. The only issue here is that I couldn't get the grill back on due to the tweeters sticking out just a touch too far. These speakers made a nice difference, again with the output power and also provided mid-bass which was missing before.

After these upgrades I noticed a couple of things. The front speakers completely overwhelmed the rear pods to the point where it didn't even seem like there were speakers back there. Also, the 4" dash speakers cannot handle any bass at all, so I wound up buying and installing 300hz bass blockers which got rid of the distortion there.

I decided the next step was to replace the rear pods with the same Kicker 43DS that I put in the dash. No need to put 300hz bass blockers here since the factory stereo cuts the low frequencies to the rear pods. I did however stuff polyfill inside the pods to help direct the sound forward. I want to say the polyfill helped, but I honestly have no idea if it did. Overall the sound quality improved greatly once I got these speakers in because it created more of a surround sound, whereas before all of the sound was coming from the front of the vehicle.

I left it this way for quite some time, mulling over what my next move would be. I wanted a sub since the only thing lacking was deep bass, but at the same time I didn't want to have a clunky sub box sitting in the trunk. I thought about a small powered sub to put under the front seat but didn't think it would provide enough punch. I also was wary about doing this work myself. I'm not an electronics expert by any stretch, and this seemed like it would stretch my capabilities to the max. Ultimately I decided to go to a local stereo shop and see what thoughts they had. I'm glad I did. They actually have a new Wildtrak bronco that was going to be one of the shops show vehicles. The guy took me to the back to show me the truck and everything they were doing to it. That's when they showed me the Stinger tailgate mounted sub with the amp powering it tucked away under the floor. Super clean install but since they were actively working on the truck I couldn't listen to the system. I decided to take a leap of faith and have them install the same Stinger tailgate sub on my Bronco. I just had the work done yesterday and wow! This thing sounds amazing! My system is finally complete and I couldn't be happier. I highly recommend the Stinger tailgate sub, and if anyone is in the Tampa area, I also highly recommend Auto Styles in Oldsmar. Great group of guys that do amazing work. They also did my custom Katzkin leather re-upholstery a few months ago. I will update this post with some pictures in a little while as I'm not able to get outside to my truck right now.

TL/DR - I installed Kicker 43DS speakers in the dash and rear pods.
6.5" JBL GTO 629's in the kick panels with metra harness and bracket.
No amp to interior speakers.
Stinger tailgate sub with JL 500 watt amp tucked underneath trunk floor.
1000x times better sound than stock.
Approximately $1,700 total invested including the professional shop installation for the sub/amp.
Some pictures of the sub and Amp. Bonus pictures of the reupholstered interior

Ford Bronco Sound system upgrade complete!  Breakdown of my build 20221026_180310

Ford Bronco Sound system upgrade complete!  Breakdown of my build 20221026_180310

Very nice! I loooooove your interior.

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs