First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Is the dealer giving you a break on the cost to install the new clutch while they swap the transmission?
Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Recieved a UPS package yesterday. Much to my suprise, my South Bend Clutch stage 2 clutch arrived a mere 2 days after ordering! Why would I change my clutch right now? Short answer is I wouldn't, except for the fact that my 7mt like many others makes the "cold grinding noise", and I have a trans on order at the dealership. Seems a perfect opportunity to try out a "high perf" clutch! Otherwise there is NOTHING wrong w/my original, and I will save it in the box in case I can't get used to this one, or something goes wrong w/it.
20230319_083412.jpg
20230319_083408.jpg

So after thinking about it I decided to go "stage 2" or "endurance". Endurance sounded like something that works well on an offroad rig...something that takes a beating...but I didn't quite know what that meant...now I do! The clutch disc is a high perf puck style on the flywheel side and conventional on the PP side. Dunno how well thats gonna work, but sure looks cool! Party side:
20230319_083819.jpg

Business side:
20230319_083812.jpg

Cool idea! I would assume "race" is party on both sides, and "daily" is all business...dont have those to compare, but makes sense now. The pressure plate has a sachs part # on it, so may cross over to other applications...I don't have catalog info to cypher, but maybe somebody reading this does:

20230319_083745.jpg

In another thread @kodiakisland asked why they come with flywheels, and the reason for that is to do away with the dual mass flywheel. Engineers love dual mass flywheels, but engineers don't have to work on 100k + mile vehicles. As a profesional, I 100% approve of the included flywheel! It is THE BEST part of this kit! Single mass, completely flat, and dowel holes drilled all the way through! Its like they read my mind on what I wanted! Starter gear teeth are beveled too! Very nice piece!

20230319_083855.jpg
20230319_083910.jpg
20230319_084024.jpg

And of course they include alignment tool and flywheel/crank bolts. They are torx(ugh), but oh well, can't have everything! I have an electronic scale, but batteries are dead, otherwise I would get some weights, by feel the weight of the full assy is at least 40lb, and UPS listed the box as 45lb. Dont know how that compares to stock, but doubt its any lighter. The flywheel is probably a bit lighter, but the PP feels quite beefy. Only other thing I noticed is in pics on the website it shows a pilot bearing In the flywheel, but there isn't one in the kit. Don't know if i was supposed to get one, or if I reuse my original or what. Plenty of time to figure that out as my trans won't be going in till I get back from Moab in May.

20230319_083437.jpg

EDIT: After reading the shop manual, the pilot bearing on this type (like most) is in the end of the crankshaft, not the flywheel, so I should not need one. The picture on SBC's website shows a completely different flywheel:
KFB-B_1.jpg

here's the shop manual pic:
pltbearing.png

So what I received is completely correct

Nice choice Bmadda. I've been selling South Bends, on "tuned" diesels, for years now and never an issue. Seriously heavy duty shit. I've seen a Cummings on 37 or 40 inch tires, do a 5th gear burnout with one, and I mean smolder the tires. :LOL: I've even had a customer buy one. Then 2 years later call me and say I need to warranty my SBC. My first answer was, "Are you sure it is the clutch". Of course he pushed back, after some conversation got him to pull the trans first and you guessed it, problem was in the trans. ;)

South Bend for the win. 😁

Dorf2point0

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer, 2005 Explorer, 2013 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

That looks like a solid replacement in a Ford Transmission.. FORD is really having a problem.. And transmissions have NEVER been Ford’s strong suite.. It’s terrible that the new Bronco is going to be plagued with the transmissions issues. The new Bronco is a great vehicle and thankfully ( no thanks to Ford) there are companies working on this problem.. Offering GREAT solutions. Cheers 🍻

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Good luck, I'm not sure how much the dual mass flywheel may be engineered into the full system, so it will be interesting to hear what you find once installed. Particularly on things like the ability to start in gear, and let off the clutch without pressing on the gas and getting going.

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Curious how itll be, I might upgrade for the hell of it

Sponsored

cracKen

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Badlands 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is this something someone can DIY at home? I'm glad that there's already aftermarket parts for the clutch, just in case i burn mine out from trying to learn to drive a manual.

Free Pizza

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is this something someone can DIY at home? I'm glad that there's already aftermarket parts for the clutch, just in case i burn mine out from trying to learn to drive a manual.
I tell people it's takes only one tank of gas to become pro at manual transmission.

OP
OP
Bmadda

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Very interested if your clutch pedal goes from barely any feel to 2008 medium JK feel.
Thats kinda what I want...the stock clutch is like there is nothing there...just wana feel some "substance" under my foot.

OP
OP
Bmadda

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is the dealer giving you a break on the cost to install the new clutch while they swap the transmission?
The tech who is gonna end up installing my trans is a guy I worked with years ago, and he's being "cool" about it. I will see that he gets comped tho. NOTE: I am not reccomending this to anyone! I wana try it out, and I'm pretty sure I will be happy with the results...but if not, thats on me. I am capable of switching it back myself if I end up unhappy with it. Dealers out there will likely have mixed opinions about doing this, and rightfully so. I am not attempting to "fix" any issue by installing this, just improve durability, and "future proof" my Bronco. The way I have become addicted to modding this thing, there is no telling where it's going to be at in a few years! Clutch upgrade is something I can cross of the list now, because it's convenient to do it now

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thats kinda what I want...the stock clutch is like there is nothing there...just wana feel some "substance" under my foot.
worst clutch I ever felt was a mk2 Audi TT, it felt like Jelly, No nothing. This is very beginner friendly and easy

*I had a 225 TT prior, that was a firm but satisfying clutch. What a shame it dropped the ball
Ford Bronco South Bend Clutch - Stage 2 Clutch, 1st look and impressions C7DEB1C1-1B84-4A8E-BF77-51337B7DCC75
Ford Bronco South Bend Clutch - Stage 2 Clutch, 1st look and impressions CCDE30ED-9769-441F-BB83-CB4ADCFCB0AD
Ford Bronco South Bend Clutch - Stage 2 Clutch, 1st look and impressions A78045A5-DD38-4F33-8896-6956A10ECFB1

Last edited:

Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The tech who is gonna end up installing my trans is a guy I worked with years ago, and he's being "cool" about it. I will see that he gets comped tho. NOTE: I am not reccomending this to anyone! I wana try it out, and I'm pretty sure I will be happy with the results...but if not, thats on me. I am capable of switching it back myself if I end up unhappy with it. Dealers out there will likely have mixed opinions about doing this, and rightfully so. I am not attempting to "fix" any issue by installing this, just improve durability, and "future proof" my Bronco. The way I have become addicted to modding this thing, there is no telling where it's going to be at in a few years! Clutch upgrade is something I can cross of the list now, because it's convenient to do it now
Super interested in this...I may go this route as well when I decide I can't deal with the grinding noise anymore and Ford comes up with a confirmed fix. My only concern is Ford rejecting further transmission warranty due to an aftermarket clutch being installed.

OP
OP
Bmadda

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Super interested in this...I may go this route as well when I decide I can't deal with the grinding noise anymore and Ford comes up with a confirmed fix. My only concern is Ford rejecting further transmission warranty due to an aftermarket clutch being installed.
Ford probably wouldn't know the difference, but an individual dealer looking to "get out" of a warranty claim? Oh ya they will! If you are "thinking about it" I recommend bouncing the idea off the service mgr, and whatever tech does his trans work, at the dealer of your choice. Obviously Ford won't warranty the clutch itself, but there is a warranty registration card, and SBC has a good reputation for standing behind their product. They have responded to emails for me quickly, so if the service mgr or tech wants more info on "what ifs" they would answer them.

Rusty Sheckelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
worst clutch I ever felt was a mk2 Audi TT, it felt like Jelly, No nothing. This is very beginner friendly and easy

*I had a 225 TT prior, that was a firm but satisfying clutch. What a shame it dropped the ball
Sounds like it will be perfect for me, I just learned how to drive a manual last summer and I'm VERY much still learning and trying to get good.

I'm soooo sick of getting gapped by minivans at red lights.

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had a South Bend Stage 3 in my heads/Cam C5 Vette and it drove awesome. Not heavy on the clutch pedal at all. Once I hit the break in I let all hell break loose on it and it didn't skip a beat

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford probably wouldn't know the difference, but an individual dealer looking to "get out" of a warranty claim? Oh ya they will! If you are "thinking about it" I recommend bouncing the idea off the service mgr, and whatever tech does his trans work, at the dealer of your choice. ...
I recommend bouncing the idea off of your second choice dealer first to see how the conversation may go, in case you make a fatal error in convincing them. That way you can correct your verbiage before sweet-talking your preferred dealer.

I'm soooo sick of getting gapped by minivans at red lights.
I laughed at this part. There are some quick minivans out there and our first gear isn't really set for stoplight racing. At freeway on ramp lights, I have to wind it up to the 4k RPM range before shifting 1-2 and 2-3 to get a peppy merge experience. I'm not a fan of doing that to my engine all the time. I live with the 3rd-4th-5th performance fun we have and let the poor beleaguered saps entombed in minivans have a stoplight or two.
Sponsored