Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Between Christmas and New year I took my wife and two dogs on a 5 day trip to New Mexico, where we used to live. The bronco worked great, we camped and drove a lot of out of the way places. The terrain varied from flat mesas with 30 mile views in all directions, to high 8000 foot snowy passes. Some highway, some blacktops, I averaged 22 MPG for the whole trip. Big Bend with a 2.3 and stick, works great for all that I do. The OEM tires are fine in fairly deep sand, and on snowy forest service roads, some several inches deep and NO ONE around if you got stuck.

We've experienced campers, and more time camping than probably anyone around here. But the first night the wind came up suddenly. From 50 to 60 Knot gusts, it was going to collapse that cheap tent (all my other tents are too big or too small right now). So I had to tie the tent to the door handles of the Bronco, put all the equipment in it to weigh it down, and sleep in the back of the Bronco! 2 adults and 2 40lb dogs. We did it, wasn't bad. I'd say it would be fine for 2 adults, or great for just one. Just put extra pads in the "step down" area....didn't notice it.

In general, the Bronco is exactly what I wanted and hoped for.
Sponsored

Last edited:

rws

Wildtrak
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 VW GTI, 2018 Silverado 1500 LT Z71
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Between Christmas and New year I took my wife and two dogs on a 5 day trip to New Mexico, where we used to live. The bronco worked great, we camped and drove a lot of out of the way places. The terrain varied from flat mesas with 30 mile views in all directions, to high 8000 foot snowy passes. Some highway, some blacktops, I averaged 22 MPG for the whole trip. Big Bend with a 2.3 and stick, works great for all that I do. The OEM tires are fine in fairly deep sand, and on snowy forest service roads, some several inches deep and NO ONE around if you got stuck.

We've experienced campers, and more time camping than probably anyone around here. But the first night the wind came up suddenly. From 50 to 60 Knot gusts, it was going to collapse that cheap tent (all my other tents are too big or too small right now). So I had to tie the tent to the door handles of the Bronco, put all the equipment in it to weigh it down, and sleep in the back of the Bronco! 2 adults and 2 40lb dogs. We did it, wasn't bad. I'd say it would be fine for 2 adults, or great for just one. Just put extra pads in the "step down" area....didn't notice it.

View attachment 243352

View attachment 243353

View attachment 243354
Sounds like a great trip!

I grew up in NM [Albuquerque] and lived in Alamogordo while I was stationed at Holloman AFB. We are very much looking forward to returning to the Southwest once our Bronco arrives.

gizmohd

Badlands
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport (Wife), Bronco Badlands (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I grew up in the 4-corners area (Gallup).. Been in Florida since 1998.... My Badlands was 'supposed' to be here for Thanksgiving in time for a two week trip out to the Farmington area... But, sadly it wasnt, so I took the Wife's sport with me and my daughter. Still enjoyed the trip of course, but would have been fun to be able to take the BL up to the Durango area to get in some snow action.. :)

BigBendBW

Heritage
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Heritage

View attachment 243352

View attachment 243353

View attachment 243354
That’s almost exactly my build, nice write up!

shieldsy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Very nice!

Huge fan of New Mexico. Especially down in the Cloudcroft area as well as the Valles Caldera.

I think the Valles Caldera is visually more impressive than the Yellowstone Caldera when viewing the entire formation of the caldera.

Sponsored

JJ Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Pixel R

Outer Banks
First Name
Pixel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota tacoma 2016
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Not trying to create a new internet sensation but does that first picture looking cyber orange for a quick second and not area 51?
For a quick look, yes...it looks like CO, its actually the sun thats makes it CO color.

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Although my body would say Na...Na to camping, this looks like a great trip. You are very blessed to be in the southwest. When I take delivery I want to go back to Payson and up on the rim.

MattyAg

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am taking my BD fly fishing and camping with the son in 3 weeks. On the Guadalupe river in TX.!!!! Can't wait!!!!
My bronco will be in San Antonio on Saturday. Hopefully picking it up next week if all goes well. Let me know if you are ever back in the area. I used to fly fish a lot when I was a kid and would love to get back into it.

Sponsored

Cprgt

Wildtrak
First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

View attachment 243352

View attachment 243353

View attachment 243354
Awesome! We vist all the time from El Paso TX!

WhatsThisDo

Big Bend
First Name
J.C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Very nice!

Huge fan of New Mexico. Especially down in the Cloudcroft area as well as the Valles Caldera.

I think the Valles Caldera is visually more impressive than the Yellowstone Caldera when viewing the entire formation of the caldera.
Cloudcroft is great! Especially the brewing company 🤤

RedHotLava

Badlands
First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What happened to the pics?

LC4

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I grew up in the 4-corners area (Gallup).. Been in Florida since 1998.... My Badlands was 'supposed' to be here for Thanksgiving in time for a two week trip out to the Farmington area... But, sadly it wasnt, so I took the Wife's sport with me and my daughter. Still enjoyed the trip of course, but would have been fun to be able to take the BL up to the Durango area to get in some snow action.. :)
I grew up in the Gallup area (Ramah). I was back there for New Years and could really have used my Bronco since plowing the roads isn't something they do much of anymore. I can't wait to get mine and spend some time back home testing it out.
Sponsored