First Name
Roddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
There are very few threads about this, and they are all old and lack recent updates.

Here's what I have found. At the top of the list is the Let's Go Aero Tirebiter. I like this one because I can take the arms off and because it is wheel mounted, protect the paint on my expensive to me carbon fiber Cannondale.
The second option is the Hollywood SR1. It looks to do the job, is cheaper than the Tirebiter but may block the camera and third break light. It seems like it would work for any bike as long as you keep to the weight limits.

Are there other options other than these two that allow for full use of the door? Meaning does not block opening and closing. There can't be that small of a community of people that don't need or want a hitch.

I use it maybe 3/4 times a year. I can fit the bike in the 4 door Bronco just fine. The problem becomes when it's ugly out and the bike gets dirty, the truck will get dirty inside too. Happened with the Jeep. The other problem is when I have road trips and want to bring the bike. I usually need the space for storage and people.
I would welcome any help.

Thanks in advance all!
Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What happens if you have a flat and change your spare....how well does the tire mount rack attach to a deflated tire?

If you were hauling a Huffy just strap it to the roof. But a $3000-$5000 (or more) bike needs a proper hitch plus a Kuat V2 swinging hitch and then whatever carrier floats your boat.

You are driving a vehicle that cost over $50k and are grumbling about spending $500 to carry a $5000 item.

OP
OP
roddyrides

roddyrides

Outer Banks
First Name
Roddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What happens if you have a flat and change your spare....how well does the tire mount rack attach to a deflated tire?

If you were hauling a Huffy just strap it to the roof. But a $3000-$5000 (or more) bike needs a proper hitch plus a Kuat V2 swinging hitch and then whatever carrier floats your boat.

You are driving a vehicle that cost over $50k and are grumbling about spending $500 to carry a $5000 item.
That is my primary worry with the spare tire mounts. What happens if I get a flat... I am hosed.

Yes, it is a $3200 bike and a $49k truck. Yet, this is something I would use a few times a year. Hence the looking for something simple. Instead of getting a hitch, then getting a hitch carrier. If it was something I was going to use weekly, then I would agree with you 100%.

Fonz54

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander, Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes C250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are very few threads about this, and they are all old and lack recent updates.

Here's what I have found. At the top of the list is the Let's Go Aero Tirebiter. I like this one because I can take the arms off and because it is wheel mounted, protect the paint on my expensive to me carbon fiber Cannondale.
The second option is the Hollywood SR1. It looks to do the job, is cheaper than the Tirebiter but may block the camera and third break light. It seems like it would work for any bike as long as you keep to the weight limits.

Are there other options other than these two that allow for full use of the door? Meaning does not block opening and closing. There can't be that small of a community of people that don't need or want a hitch.

I use it maybe 3/4 times a year. I can fit the bike in the 4 door Bronco just fine. The problem becomes when it's ugly out and the bike gets dirty, the truck will get dirty inside too. Happened with the Jeep. The other problem is when I have road trips and want to bring the bike. I usually need the space for storage and people.
I would welcome any help.

Thanks in advance all!
Assume you do not have a hitch receiver or want to use a hitch mounted bike rack. Personally I would not want to add any addiional weight on the spare tire. I thought that racks like the Hollywood SR1 where the bike is being supported by the frame was no no for Carbon Fiber Frames. I sold my Carbon Fiber Trek and my remaingin bikes are aluminum. I bought a Thule hitch mount rack used for $200 just needed a receiver extenstion to use it with my Bronco.

Sponsored

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
IMO: Better to just get a hitch setup which is designed to handle the extra weight rather than to add weight to the spare tire. Bronco tires are heavy to begin with. Why put more strain on the door? Also, this is a "future proof" option as more of us are now getting e-bikes which are more appealing but also heavier and a lot better to put on a rail mounted system that only touches the tires like a 1up or Kuat.

The hitch price is down to $120 (the Draw-tite long version that does not require an extender). Then you can get a single 1up for $365 (total cost: $485). If you insist on going even lower priced, you can get a Hollywood rack from e-Trailer for $199 (total cost: $319).

Last edited:
OP
OP
roddyrides

roddyrides

Outer Banks
First Name
Roddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I agree with everyone. It is just hard to swallow spending say. 700 bucks when I use this maybe 2-3 times a year at best. On a busy year.

OP
OP
roddyrides

roddyrides

Outer Banks
First Name
Roddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well! I tried the Hollywood Rack, and it was utter shit! I have returned that and purchased a Curt Hitch Receiver and a Kuat Transfer V2 rack. It turned out to be about $600 bucks with the hitch extender. I stand humbly corrected, thank you all!

Thart89

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the Thule T2 XTR Pro bike carrier and the 1up-USA.com 2” hitch extender.

Ford Bronco Spare Tire Bike (Bicycle) Mount Options IMG_4784
This is exactly the route I was going to go. Any issues? Can the tailgate open with the rack down and bikes unloaded? Can't justify $500 for a swing away adapter

Sponsored

EndersRide

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I got the letsgoaero and works great and doesn’t block the brake light. Minimal weight added to the tire, but my bikes are relatively light road and gravel bikes. I would be cautious of swinging the bikes out when loaded without bracing the tire further, but you can at least access the back if necessary. I also have an extra tie down I use around the circumference for added piece of mind, but it seemed solid without it.

I would assume that if you had to mount it to a flat you could get away with it for a bit by just tightening the straps. Wish it had a locking system, but I like the ease of taking it off to put it inside while riding and then just tossing it back up while kicking back the victory beer.

bb163

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Promaster
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is a kit I make. DM for details.

Ford Bronco Spare Tire Bike (Bicycle) Mount Options Mod39a
Ford Bronco Spare Tire Bike (Bicycle) Mount Options Mod39b