First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do any of you veteran offroaders have any tips, techniques, or tools on the best way to remove the spare tire and then remount it?
I am trying to plan for the flat tire I will encounter some day and hoping to avoid a hernia
Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
35” or larger MT tires are a PITA. Have them on my jeep and truck. Jeep spare is definitely higher up. Sorry I cant help.

OP
OP
JHawk

JHawk

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
35” or larger MT tires are a PITA. Have them on my jeep and truck. Jeep spare is definitely higher up. Sorry I cant help.
Thanks anyway. I see it as the cost to join the club. I did read the advice thread and took note of always take friends.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Having the backup camera sticking out so far on the spare tire carrier is going to help with getting it on. Traditionally, the hangers were stubbier and with a tire in hand, you were a bit blind when trying to line up the hole. Getting them off the hanger is pretty easy. Gravity does most of the work.

Tip for heavy tire/slash lack of arm strength: If you can lift the tire high enough to set the inner rim on the hanger, you can rest for a second before you attempt to lift it a little higher to fit through the center hole.

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Having the backup camera sticking out so far on the spare tire carrier is going to help with getting it on. Traditionally, the hangers were stubbier and with a tire in hand, you were a bit blind when trying to line up the hole. Getting them off the hanger is pretty easy. Gravity does most of the work.

Tip for heavy tire/slash lack of arm strength: If you can lift the tire high enough to set the inner rim on the hanger, you can rest for a second before you attempt to lift it a little higher to fit through the center hole.
Sure hope that camera is sturdy.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Don't skip leg day and doing some dead lifts will help, too.

BlueOvalBandit

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Pro tip for avoiding a hernia: make your kid do it while you sit back, supervise, and shout words of encouragement... Learned that from the old man

But seriously as other's said strengthen your legs and learn good lifting technique.

But the better technique is don't lift alone.

HankG13

Outer Banks
First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Subaru WRX, 1990 Mustang LX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Practice in the driveway a couple times before you go out!

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Practice in the driveway a couple times before you go out!
"Yeah Jack? I won't be able to go riding tomorrow. I threw out my back practicing changing my spare tire."

Sponsored

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ride with friends who have the same vehicle and tire size. Don’t carry a spare and just use theirs.

bead locks, tire patches, plugs , and a co2 tank will help, so hopefully you can fix it and not change it. Only had to pop the spare one time. My Fj came with metal valve stems that had no give in the rocks. Took about 10 seconds for it to be completely flat. Finished the trail and next day got new wheels with rubber valve stems. Haven’t had A problem since.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
"Yeah Jack? I won't be able to go riding tomorrow. I threw out my back practicing changing my spare tire."
Yeah, plan on gravity helping me get it off. I'll be letting the tire guy get it back on...

Frank N

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

If you are alone, lift in stages. Get the cooler out or whatever in your truck to split the lift.

If you are not alone, they help....or they walk home, their choice.

BEM-S4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs & Porsches
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Dumb question - maybe... I've never owned a vehicle with a spare on the back before. Is it just secured with lugs like the other wheels? If the answer is "yes" something like this could help. Most of my cars have stud sets installed but on those that don't I keep one of these in the trunk, really helps aligning the wheel when doing a regular mount / dismount. I can't imagine the spare would be any different.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben-parts/wheel-hanger-m14x15-thread/002840sch01a/

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Exactly what they said...
If on the trails and you needed to use the spare, just throw the flat in the cargo area. If you have no room, it means you have gear you can use..a cooler, a tool box to at least elevate it a foot or so off the ground. If not use the spare (before mounting) to elevate old tire. If you forgot and already mounted the spare, use the Jack to elevate the old tire. You can also carry a block of wood with you at all times. If you really don’t want to deal with all that...carry 3 cans of fix a flat ( for 35s), 2 for (33s) and not use the spare..Lots of ways...just gotta get creative.

At home, i use a metal folding chair as elevation..yes you will need to take the spare off at home at some point..to work on wiring or just to rotate the tire so the sun won’t fade just one side of the tire. No i don’t like tire covers, I’d rather rotate it lol.

Yeah, plan on gravity helping me get it off. I'll be letting the tire guy get it back on...
If you are alone, lift in stages. Get the cooler out or whatever in your truck to split the lift.

If you are not alone, they help....or they walk home, their choice.
Sponsored