First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I just finished upgrading my base 6 speaker audio system. I replaced the 6 speakers with Focal ACX series , and did the standard kicker key 200.4 , along paired to a kicker key 500.1 and a downfiring sub in the back. It sounds great !! However I noticed that when the vehicle is off I hear an occasional pop from the speakers.

I was reading online this is a common/non serious issue for vehicles with radios that are enabled to be turned on, even while vehicle is off and key fob is not present. (I didn’t realize this was capable, but is on my bronco) .

I do have the 200.1 and 500.1 running independent power lines.

The 200.1 power and ground are running through the drivers side grommet in the firewall. I put the ground up on the side part where the hood closes. (seen in 2nd pic)

The 500.1 power runs through the same grommet, on the the same terminal, and is grounded under one of the hooks in the cargo area. (3rd pic).

Should I be concerned &/or Is there something with setup that could be causing the issue ?
could it be cause the power and ground are running close together ?

I have the 200.4 at the bottom of the steering column, with the wiring harnesses jammed in above it... The 500.1 is in the cubby area under the cargo space

Thank you in advance for any input. I am a complete novice when it comes to this stuff and couldn’t have done this without the help of this forum …. And an awesome custom harness from Hoel Wiring that enabled me to do this without needing to splice or modify any wires, fuses etc…

Ford Bronco Speaker pop when vehicle is off 8BFF47EF-F5D0-4F36-8C06-636314B64FF4

Ford Bronco Speaker pop when vehicle is off 10CE63C0-A427-4EA0-9EEF-81DECD8C73E8

Ford Bronco Speaker pop when vehicle is off C12D77DE-6C56-4950-AED9-61FEE7C8F3DE
Sponsored

Last edited:

cjindna

Base
First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base Sasquatch 4 door 2.3l 10spd
Your Bronco Model
Base
Using the Kicker 200.4 I had to switch from using DC Offset to 12v turn on in order to eliminate the popping heard through the speakers after vehicle shut down.

OP
OP
Jeverall

Jeverall

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Using the Kicker 200.4 I had to switch from using DC Offset to 12v turn on in order to eliminate the popping heard through the speakers after vehicle shut down.
Thank you for the reply. When I turn off the DC Offset, my sub stops working?? Fwiw , here is my 500 laying in the cubby . I don’t have a “mount” for it , but seems pretty secure here. The multicolor wire from the top is runs under the cargo area, down the driverside channel(s) and plugs into the kicker key 200.4 harness in the dash. The 12V Red power wire runs the same path all the way to the battery, and the black is the ground to the cargo bolt. Then the bottom right wires are my speaker wires that are just wrapped around to my kicker sub.

Ford Bronco Speaker pop when vehicle is off 66F31B85-767B-4E3E-BFC4-F949B5A1DFC9

6A9CE5FA-D3A1-4429-A6E5-24B7E290D3B4.jpeg

E8C660BF-51CB-4315-9DFA-F02935FCBE60.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeverall

Jeverall

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It looks like it is already depressed ? (It is not pressed in )… the speaker actually made the popping noise as I was trying to get my key200 out. Below are my settings. I only have the first dip switch down , the rest all up. I just called kicker and they suggested to move my ground from under the hood to the kickpanel.

Ford Bronco Speaker pop when vehicle is off BAB5329C-A20A-408C-90BB-A147EDD25D72

Last edited:

Sponsored

DJ1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It looks like it is already depressed ? (It is not pressed in )… the speaker actually made the popping noise as I was trying to get my key200 out. Below are my settings. I only have the first dip switch down , the rest all up. I just called kicker and they suggested to move my ground from under the hood to the kickpanel.

BAB5329C-A20A-408C-90BB-A147EDD25D72.jpeg
The long ground wire you are running for the 200.4 may well be the issue. I usually ground the amp as close to the amp as possible. You could also look at the quality of the grounding point. Not sure if you scraped the paint away to give a good connection, but the layers of paint might not give a great sounding point.

No experience with the Kicker amps, but in all of my systems I never use the signal-sensing option to turn on the amps specifically to avoid any possible carryover electrical noise.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
Jeverall

Jeverall

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The area up there by the hood is painted , and I did not do any sanding or anything. I just took my kick panel off,.... again. ... and grounded to this same screw where there already appears to be a factory ground... I still have a pop :confused: :(
Ford Bronco Speaker pop when vehicle is off kpground

Ford Bronco Speaker pop when vehicle is off E2764238-60F3-4129-B775-2E469B24FF32

Last edited:

cmcbronco

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 f-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Gotta push that radio detect button in. Problem solved. You need something small to get it pushed in.
Judging by your picture it is not pushed in so it’s still off.

OP
OP
Jeverall

Jeverall

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I thought the guidance was to make sure it was “depressed” (not pressed in)….

Ok I also just removed the cargo area again…. Going to sand the paint down around where I am placing the ground. Then I’ll make sure the radio detect is in on the 200, and see how it goes

Does this ground location look satisfactory? It isn't a flat connection for the end of my ground wire, could that be causing the issue? .

I’ve taken this dash apart like 10 times today 🤣

Ford Bronco Speaker pop when vehicle is off 60109146-3F5E-4718-B63B-167972F4A450

Ford Bronco Speaker pop when vehicle is off 398DFD76-1CEB-4D5A-83D1-46BBE3DD389C

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeverall

Jeverall

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well, I sanded that spot down in the cargo area, reconnected the ground, removed my 200 and pressed in the radio detect button..... and I think it may have fixed it!!!!! The only way to find out for sure is to reinstall all of the panels :) THANK YOU!!!
Sponsored