First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Raptor, 66 Race bronco, 16 F350/camper w/37s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 2018 Raptor and sometimes use an ARB fridge in the back seat. I plan to buy a new bronco also.

1) There is no power port that stays on to keep the fridge running overnight in the Raptor despite adequate battery capacity to do so.
So I ran a wire direct to the battery to power an added power port, grounding to chassis. This allows fridge to run overnight.
> Will the new Bronco have an always on 12v port for the Fridge? Or do they expect it to just get warm or leave your engine running while camping?

2) When we go to the store for example, we want to lock the truck so our stuff does not disappear. But with the ARB running, the alarms goes off periodically. I think it goes off when the fridge cycles on and off as they do. I have not tried the perimeter only alarm mode. But it also seems there is no way to lock the truck without the alarm being set. Very annoying because if I'm in a campground with lots of strangers about, I either must leave Raptor unlocked all night or unplug the fridge.
> Will the new bronco address this issue since they are offering it with an optional fridge?

BTW, my 2013 Raptor did not have these issues. Wondering how the 2022 Raptor and Bronco will deal with this?
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good question. There is also the 110v plug but I have not heard if either will be powered with the ignition off and keys removed.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not sure about an olways on 12V; doubt it since the Bronco EDIT does come with an inverter although the new F-150 has one, not sure if that one runs when the truck is off either, although it may.

What most do for the fridge (I have a Dometic), is either install another battery and inverter under the hood ($$$), or buy a portable battery. This is what I've done and have a now year old Jackery 1000, which costs about $1000.

Neither option is cheap, but the portable battery is just that. So, you can either leave it in the truck which can then be locked. bring out both to place in your tent where it's safe with you and your gun(s). Then, back home the battery can be used for emergencies to power your, whatever.

There are cheaper batteries, a 500 class can also power a fridge for a day and a half, but when driving just plug into the truck to save your battery. The batteries can also charge, while powering the fridge in the truck when driving or wheeling.

There are several brands, Jackery, Goal Zero, Bluetti, ARB now has a battery, etc. All have pros and a few cons. A little research can go a long way. These are an investment, but can last years and many charge cycles.

In the tent, I can run the fridge, lights, charge phone or iPad, drone battery charge, etc.

A battery under the hood and inverter can power your compressor along with your fridge while not pulling from your primary battery.

I plan to replace my battery in the Bronco with an Optima within the first 3 months for more power and reliability when out in the sticks.

You've got choices. Good luck!

Last edited:

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Good question. There is also the 110v plug but I have not heard if either will be powered with the ignition off and keys removed.
In my Jeep, the key has to be in at least the accessory position (1 click up) for the 110-volt outlet to energize. Remove the key and the outlet de-energizes.

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sponsored

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

do the aux switches work even though the car is off? dual battery system, with the fridge power being handled by one of the aux switches. extended battery life, a hard on/off switch.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm hesitant about using the vehicle battery for accessories.

I got a Rockpals Rockpower 300 for Xmas that I'll initially use for accessories... Will probably get another and solar panels.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure about an olways on 12V; doubt it since the Bronco does not come with an inverter although the new F-150 has one, not sure if that one runs when the truck is off either, although it may.
Mid package gets you 110v AC outlets so there is an inverter.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How would the Bronco power its 110-volt AC outlet without an inverter?
Didn't realize it had a 110 outlet, but that's good news. Off road, I'd prefer to use 12V since it's more efficient anyway, but for 110 devices, that's great.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm hesitant about using the vehicle battery for accessories.

I got a Rockpals Rockpower 300 for Xmas that I'll initially use for accessories... Will probably get another and solar panels.
My fridge has a feature that'll power it down if it has almost totally drained your car battery. I don't trust that either even though I've seen people say it does work.

The portable battery is expensive, but I've invented other ways to use it.

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Plastic marine battery box, deep cycle, inverter with solar capability, and 100 watt panel on the roof. Everything under $500. Done. Best to leave the starting battery alone since if it it dies, you're stuck. Plus you have ac power for everything else.

OP
OP

bajachris

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Raptor, 66 Race bronco, 16 F350/camper w/37s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just FYI, the BMS on my 18 did not play well when an auxiliary battery was added with an isolator.
I've heard you can reprogram BMS or eliminate it via Forscan but I really try hard to leave everything stock. I'm hoping Ford has a turn key solution to support the 12v fridge without having to add wiring or extra batteries or anything else non-stock. Once you start doing non-stock mods, it becomes the excuse the dealer uses if there is any electrical or charging issues.

Basically they need to add an always-on 12v port, that shuts off if battery gets below some voltage, and make sure the alarm does not trigger when the load on that always-on port comes and goes.

They are smart guys, this should be a trivial problem for them to address, especially since they are now selling the option to add a fridge.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm curious as to how the fridge/freezer will work. I had it on my order and the dealer said it would delay the order so I took it off. I'll add it when it gets here as an accessory. There's a slide out tray I've seen in some videos. I hope that's part of the package.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm curious as to how the fridge/freezer will work. I had it on my order and the dealer said it would delay the order so I took it off. I'll add it when it gets here as an accessory. There's a slide out tray I've seen in some videos. I hope that's part of the package.
Honestly shop around and do some research before settling on Ford's ARB option. Also pretty sure the Ford does NOT come with the slide out tray. ARB and Dometic will probably dominate the conversation on most discussions you see (for good reason ) but there are other players such as SnoMaster, Engel and others. You'll see there's a number of options between size, fridge only or fridge/freezer, portability, etc. Do a goog on something like "overlanding fridge" or similar and climb down that rabbit hole! 😈

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Honestly shop around and do some research before settling on Ford's ARB option. Also pretty sure the Ford does NOT come with the slide out tray. ARB and Dometic will probably dominate the conversation on most discussions you see (for good reason ) but there are other players such as SnoMaster, Engel and others. You'll see there's a number of options between size, fridge only or fridge/freezer, portability, etc. Do a goog on something like "overlanding fridge" or similar and climb down that rabbit hole! 😈
Again, I understand it's all pre-prod but it looked like the tray was built for the fridge. So it will be interesting to see what they finally offer in that space. That particular model may have been chosen for it's dimensions, to fit behind the seat and below the package tray. If those are requirements for you...
Sponsored