redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The parking brake doesn't rely on the hydraulic system at all. Here's a picture of a rear caliper from a car with an electronic parking brake:

18B5477-ang__ra_p-600x600.jpg

See that splined shaft? That's where the parking brake actuator engages and directly drives the piston. So you could have a busted line or no brake fluid or anything, and the actuator would still be able to apply rear brake pressure.

4H: The front and rear axles are locked together by the transfer case. Depending on whether or not the front and rear diffs are also locked, all four wheels could be 100% mechanically locked together. Great for crawling up rock walls or powering through mud or sand. It is NOT intended to be used on a paved surface with high traction. It causes chattering and wheel hop when turning as the tires actually need to rotate at different speeds when making turns, but they can't because they're all locked together.

4A: The transfer case modulates lockup between the front and rear diff, transferring power to where it detects traction.

If you're driving on the road in bad weather with intermittent slick patches, 4A is 100% preferable. You don't want all four wheels locked together when you have good traction. You want the system to send power to wherever it can find traction.

And if you pull away from a slick stop in 4H with everything locked together, all four wheels will spin, allowing the vehicle to drift side to side. 4A would take power away from the spinning wheels and give it to the ones with traction, improving acceleration and maintaining control.

People get all sorts of bent out of shape about the above. "I've been driving with 4x4 in the snow for years! Just turn it off if you don't need it! If you can't get around in the snow in 2wd you're just a dummy and a bad driver!"

I'm not saying it's impossible to get around in 4x4 or 2wd, I'm saying the optimal configuration for maximum control and acceleration in slick conditions is one that can actively choose where to send power. The Wrangler finally got 4A with the JL, before that I couldn't understand why people bought a Wrangler as a winter vehicle. Without 4A, you're just running around in 2H all winter except the few mornings when you beat the plows to the roads.

But 4H and locking diffs is 100% optimal for mud, sand, or rocks.

Thanks Laminar, lots of good info there. I am VERY aware of lockers and what they can and what you shouldn't do. I take my son four wheeling all the time. Mine is a 98 600 Grizzly and his is an 08 350 Grizzly with front locker, mine is the older model without locker. If you don't ride a wheeler give it a try with the locker on all the time, it will wear you out in a hurry, it's a lot harder to steer. So when I am talking about driving in 4WD on the roads that is WITHOUT lockers even if I did have an electric locker I wouldn't have it on because as long as one front and one rear tire is pulling it will 9 times 'outta 10 keep you out of the ditch. You only need the locker when the shit hits the fan, so to speak. IMO. Come up on a situation while off-roading and simple switch the locker or lockers on, when through switch them off. Personally I love the 4WD drift in the snow, its almost as much fun as drifting my fox body on the freeway on ramp switch back !!

So since we are on the subject of how things work, how about some thoughts on how to use the "front dig". Keep in mind I don't think it will be like Toyota and just turn the wheel to lock and the ECM does the rest. The Bronco has a lot of excellent features and I don't see Ford doing it this way. I think it will be more like a "combo" like described above. I was thinking 2H and front locker on and the ECM would just "switch" the case to front drive But from what you have just described and what others have said about 4A, my new guess would be 4A, so the ECM could just transfer all the power to go to the front. …….. but I also noticed a button on the dash pod, on certain models, has what appears to be a transfer case lock ???? Could the transfer case lock be there so in 4A you can "lock" transfer case so it splits the power 50/50 ??? But then what is the point to 4H ??? This reveal may leave me with more questions than answers. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Sponsored

Last edited:

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

there is two oh sh!t handles because the seats alone couldn't handle the g's. you have to hang onto them to still be covered under warranty

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sponsored

Escape_Artist

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT;
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Saw that but I was thinking that would just be the front locker. You might want to be in 4WD and use the locker. In other words every time I hit the front locker I do not necessarily want just a front dig. (y)
Looks like from left to right: Front Locker, Rear Locker, Front Dig
Ford Bronco Spied: 2021 Bronco Interior Full Look @ Dash, Screen, Console, 4WD Drive Mode Dial! 1594314424076

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Looks like from left to right: Front Locker, Rear Locker, Front Dig
Ford Bronco Spied: 2021 Bronco Interior Full Look @ Dash, Screen, Console, 4WD Drive Mode Dial! 1594314424076

Got 'ya. I was thinking that looked like a transfer case lock. Guess I should have looked more closely. (y)(y)

BroAD

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hahaha yeah I sat in one briefly. And yes, I'm definitely holding out. Some things I don't know, and some things I don't want to say because I don't want to lose my job.
Once things get declassified, maybe you can share your experiences throughout the process...?

Sponsored

GrumpyVet

Badlands
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There was another leak that showed sway bar disconnect button on the dash and if you look now there is enough room for that 6th button above the 12' screen. Also the usb ports look like the box is sitting unmounted, so I wonder how they decide to fit that in. Then I cant figure out that smaller slit cutout right behind the oh shit handle. At first I though a random storage cutout but a closer look that might be additional buttons, maybe for the windows if this is the 2door, but hard to tell.

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is there a good YouTube video or a quick explanation someone can make on the differences between 2H, 4L, 4H, and 4A for an off road noob like me?

Escape_Artist

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT;
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is there a good YouTube video or a quick explanation someone can make on the differences between 2H, 4L, 4H, and 4A for an off road noob like me?
2H - Power only to rear wheels - normal driving
4L- Power to all 4 wheels - low range for slow driving - Cannot be used at highway speeds
4H- Power to all 4 wheels - high range for more speed than 4L - Not recommended on highway
4A- Power to rear wheels and front ones as needed(decided by computer) Can be used at highway speeds.

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2H - Power only to rear wheels - normal driving
4L- Power to all 4 wheels - low range for slow driving - Cannot be used at highway speeds
4H- Power to all 4 wheels - high range for more speed than 4L - Not recommended on highway
4A- Power to rear wheels and front ones as needed(decided by computer) Can be used at highway speeds.
Thank you Sir!

Just found this which has the same instructions. Much appreciated!
Sponsored