Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It's been at least a couple of decades since I've driven a manual, let alone own one. Aren't you supposed to leave it in gear when parked?
That's the old school way. Well the way I always did. Problem is you can't use autostart when it's in gear. So I can see a need for the above.

Then again the wife always got the car starters so I'm used to running outside when it's 5 below to start my car ?
Sponsored

ben5243

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Being that the manual transmission in the Bronco is new, it would be very nice if it had the ability to give feedback of when it's in neutral to allow remote start with FordPass or a Fob button. I'll be purchasing a manual regardless, but it's a creature comfort that's extremely nice when it's below zero outside.
It's not legal in many states to install autostart in a manual so I don't expect it to come as an option from factory.
My Xterra has an aftermarket autostart and you have to "prep" it when you get out.
Park, pull e-brake, foot off clutch and brake, turn key to off. Engine stays running and you open your door. When all doors close again, the engine turns off and doors lock. Now you can auto-start it. Weird at first but when I lived in Fairbanks where it was regularly -40 in winter, it became habit.
The downside is if you open any doors to grab something out of the vehicle in the meantime, you have to redo the process.

duc135

First Name
Duc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2014 Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
That's the old school way. Well the way I always did. Problem is you can't use autostart when it's in gear. So I can see a need for the above.

Then again the wife always got the car starters so I'm used to running outside when it's 5 below to start my car ?
That's why I question how some could think that Ford could allow remote start to happen. If anything, the vehicle should sound a warning chime if the engine is off, the driver door is opened and the transmission is not in gear. Much like a key left in the ignition or lights are left on.

That would be a safety issue with a HUGE lawsuit waiting to happen. Of course, with current technology I could be way off. Maybe they have technology to circumvent that safely. Like I said, it's been at least a couple of decades since I've even driven a manual.

evoaire

First Edition
First Name
Evoaire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maybe a bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I like radio knobs - but these throw it back into 1980 - technology contrast with the 12" screen,. I am guessing these are old pictures as well - just being revealed. The plastic seems to be uncovered - and hopefully not the final material. Thanks for the pictures - just my take on it - eagerly waiting for next week.

Not crazy about the 1980's - CB look the radio and climate controls have, nor the plastic - I am hoping these are preproduction and will be wrapped in a nicer material.

reminds me of this
1594140646638.png

1594140156118.png
I dint notice that till you mentioned. Given the throw back look, I gotta say me likes it?

Sponsored

JH1026

Black Diamond
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Yaris, 2016 Camry
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It's been at least a couple of decades since I've driven a manual, let alone own one. Aren't you supposed to leave it in gear when parked?
The purpose of the pull-handle, pedal, and push button parking brakes, or "E-brakes" is for parking. Sure they could be a fail safe if your actual braking system fails, but highly unlikely. As far as parking in gear, if you've ever parked on an incline with a manual transmission vehicle with a fair amount of miles on the clutch, it's a bit nerve racking relying on that to keep your car from rolling down the hill. Or if you want to leave your car running, engage the parking brake and toss it in neutral. Likewise, if you're landing a large boat in the water with an automatic, you'd want to have the parking brake engaged as well to keep the weight of the boat from pulling your vehicle into the water. Plenty of fail videos available on that.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
No worries...I'ma gonna pimp my rides interior out, wrap all the black n 'grays plastic, in milk chocolate Italian leather... : )
I'm expecting the leather to already be there so I can spend my money on something else.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Being that the manual transmission in the Bronco is new, it would be very nice if it had the ability to give feedback of when it's in neutral to allow remote start with FordPass or a Fob button. I'll be purchasing a manual regardless, but it's a creature comfort that's extremely nice when it's below zero outside.
With today's electronics, I wouldn't be surprised if it's capable of putting itself into neutral and apply the brake if it isn't applied already and then start the vehicle. The models that have the dial will shift into park if you open the door before shutting the engine off, so I think the technology is there.

Sponsored

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
2 decades ago,yes. A lot has changed since then. I had a manual on my first new car back in 1988 and that's what I did as well as set the parking brake.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yep. I know some people will probably be upset about that, but it saves money and reduces complexity to have it common between all powertrains. I personally have never used an emergency brake/parking brake for anything other than parking, but I know I don't speak for everyone when I say that. Is there a specific reason why people are upset about an electronic parking brake? I'm genuinely curious.

Well I didn't read the posts all the way through but I will chime in on this. So on 2 occasions I experienced a brake line failure. I used the manual emergency brake foot pedal to stop for stoplights and general traffic. That's right drove the vehicle both times all the way home and fixed there. Once in my 98 Taurus and once in my 88 F-250. So if these new electronic ones can apply the brake at a gradual rate, like I could with my foot on the old brake, then fine. But if it is an on/off thing then I would rather have a manual one. IMO.

Also, while I'm here typing, can someone tell me why we have 4A "awd" when we have 4H for "awd" just curious. Had a Raptor in the shop today and the owner told me the 4A was for "automatic" 4WD, it is in rwd until it senses slip and engages the front diff. Just seems odd to me, I am old school and I am used to the N(neutral)as the other option. good for flat tow like behind an RV.

Thanks for the info and I think the interior looks bitchin'.

Last edited:

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Reminds me of the Chevy Astro. Fir whatever reason it had an AC vent right below the steering wheel.
Back in the 60's and 70's, most cars had the A/C vents at that level and also down to the floor. At some point, they started appearing mid level on the dash where they're less effective and blow into your face. I liked the old way better.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Well I didn't read the posts all the way through but I will chime in on this. So on 2 occasions I experienced a brake line failure. I used the manual emergency brake foot pedal to stop for stoplights and general traffic. That's right drove the vehicle both times all the way home and fixed there. Once in my 98 Taurus and once in my 88 F-250. So if these new electronic ones can apply the brake at a gradual rate, like I could with my foot on the old brake, then fine. But if it is an on/off thing then I would rather have a manual one. IMO.

Also, while I'm here typing, can someone tell me why we have 4A "awd" when we have 4H for "awd" just curious. Had a Raptor in the shop today and the owner told me the 4A was for "automatic" 4WD, it is in rwd until it senses slip and engages the front diff. Just seems odd to me, I am old scholl and I am used to the N as the other option. good for flat tow like behind an RV.

Thanks for the info and I think the interior looks bitchin'.
The e-brake is probably an on/off affair. Although, your car would probably detect a brake problem and only allow “limp mode” at best.

You got the right idea about 4A. It’s for when you’re driving and hit black ice or something to that effect and your rear wheels lose traction. It immediacy sends power to the front wheels to keep you from sliding. Beats being in a ditch wishing you had 4WD engaged.

Ducky

Wildtrak
First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So on 2 occasions I experienced a brake line failure. I used the manual emergency brake foot pedal to stop for stoplights and general traffic. That's right drove the vehicle both times all the way home and fixed there. Once in my 98 Taurus and once in my 88 F-250. So if these new electronic ones can apply the brake at a gradual rate, like I could with my foot on the old brake, then fine. But if it is an on/off thing then I would rather have a manual one. IMO.
Once is bad luck, but TWICE? That's some crazy... I would be knocking on wood, shooting a rabbit for its foot, find a penny pick a penny, throwing some salt over the shoulder, and crossing my fingers as I enter any vehicle.
Sponsored