redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The e-brake is probably an on/off affair. Although, your car would probably detect a brake problem and only allow “limp mode” at best.

You got the right idea about 4A. It’s for when you’re driving and hit black ice or something to that effect and your rear wheels lose traction. It immediacy sends power to the front wheels to keep you from sliding. Beats being in a ditch wishing you had 4WD engaged.

Or wrapping yourself around a tree. I grew up in PA, whenever it is sketchy I use 4WD. I learned long ago, I had not been drinking that night and a girl at a party wanted me to drive her home, 85 Toyota pickup, not flying down the road just cruising, crossed a frozen bridge, started to slide and couldn't make it to the other side in time. Just about tore the pass. side front wheel off. After that anytime I'm in doubt I use 4WD. ;)
Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Once is bad luck, but TWICE? That's some crazy... I would be knocking on wood, shooting a rabbit for its foot, find a penny pick a penny, throwing some salt over the shoulder, and crossing my fingers as I enter any vehicle.

I've had good experiences and bad ones. It kinda' balances out.

TorontoGuy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Edge
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well I didn't read the posts all the way through but I will chime in on this. So on 2 occasions I experienced a brake line failure. I used the manual emergency brake foot pedal to stop for stoplights and general traffic. That's right drove the vehicle both times all the way home and fixed there. Once in my 98 Taurus and once in my 88 F-250. So if these new electronic ones can apply the brake at a gradual rate, like I could with my foot on the old brake, then fine. But if it is an on/off thing then I would rather have a manual one. IMO.

Also, while I'm here typing, can someone tell me why we have 4A "awd" when we have 4H for "awd" just curious. Had a Raptor in the shop today and the owner told me the 4A was for "automatic" 4WD, it is in rwd until it senses slip and engages the front diff. Just seems odd to me, I am old school and I am used to the N(neutral)as the other option. good for flat tow like behind an RV.

Thanks for the info and I think the interior looks bitchin'.
Had a rental 2020 Escape a while back. When you're driving and you quickly pull up the e-brake button, nothing happens. If you hold up the button, the e-brake is slowly applied and brings the car to a stop. I'd say 40% brake force. Not enough to lock up the tires, but defintely enough to stop you if something's wrong.

I have zero problems with an electronic parking brake.

This example is a Corvette, but the Escape acted the same.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Had a rental 2020 Escape a while back. When you're driving and you quickly pull up the e-brake button, nothing happens. If you hold up the button, the e-brake is slowly applied and brings the car to a stop. I'd say 40% brake force. Not enough to lock up the tires, but defintely enough to stop you if something's wrong.

I have zero problems with an electronic parking brake.

This example is a Corvette, but the Escape acted the same.

Nice, good to know. (y) (y)

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

duc135

First Name
Duc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2014 Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The purpose of the pull-handle, pedal, and push button parking brakes, or "E-brakes" is for parking. Sure they could be a fail safe if your actual braking system fails, but highly unlikely. As far as parking in gear, if you've ever parked on an incline with a manual transmission vehicle with a fair amount of miles on the clutch, it's a bit nerve racking relying on that to keep your car from rolling down the hill. Or if you want to leave your car running, engage the parking brake and toss it in neutral. Likewise, if you're landing a large boat in the water with an automatic, you'd want to have the parking brake engaged as well to keep the weight of the boat from pulling your vehicle into the water. Plenty of fail videos available on that.
I guess I've been fortunate. I drove an old, manual 84 Toyota truck for quite a few years. Always parked in gear with the brake on. I've often parked on hills in the SF Bay area with nary a problem. I hate the water and get sick sickness very easily so have never had the displeasure of having to launch/land a boat.

I know that we're supposed to use the parking/e-brake when parked. I was specifically wondering how the remote start would function in a manual since (when I drove manual) the car needed to be in gear when parked and the engine wouldn't start unless the clutch was depressed.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well I didn't read the posts all the way through but I will chime in on this. So on 2 occasions I experienced a brake line failure. I used the manual emergency brake foot pedal to stop for stoplights and general traffic. That's right drove the vehicle both times all the way home and fixed there. Once in my 98 Taurus and once in my 88 F-250. So if these new electronic ones can apply the brake at a gradual rate, like I could with my foot on the old brake, then fine. But if it is an on/off thing then I would rather have a manual one. IMO.

Also, while I'm here typing, can someone tell me why we have 4A "awd" when we have 4H for "awd" just curious. Had a Raptor in the shop today and the owner told me the 4A was for "automatic" 4WD, it is in rwd until it senses slip and engages the front diff. Just seems odd to me, I am old school and I am used to the N(neutral)as the other option. good for flat tow like behind an RV.

Thanks for the info and I think the interior looks bitchin'.
Im gonna be real, if my brakes fail in any way and I have cell service I’m calling a tow truck. Not worth the liability

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Love it. Basically just what I was hoping for.

Only issue I see is those slots on the air vents and buttons on top are going to be a constant pain in my ass to clean.

JH1026

Black Diamond
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Yaris, 2016 Camry
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I guess I've been fortunate. I drove an old, manual 84 Toyota truck for quite a few years. Always parked in gear with the brake on. I've often parked on hills in the SF Bay area with nary a problem. I hate the water and get sick sickness very easily so have never had the displeasure of having to launch/land a boat.

I know that we're supposed to use the parking/e-brake when parked. I was specifically wondering how the remote start would function in a manual since (when I drove manual) the car needed to be in gear when parked and the engine wouldn't start unless the clutch was depressed.
I'm guessing there has to be a neutral safety switch on the shifter that would make sure the car isn't in gear, which would bypass the switch on the clutch pedal. In addition to that, the starter may also need a positive indication that the parking brake is engaged. Once both requirements are met, the vehicle would be able to be remote started. That's how I'd envision it happening anyway. If Ford feels confident enough to release hands free driving in the new F-150, then they sure as hell have the technology to make sure you can remote start your Bronco without sending it through the front of your house.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Free Pizza

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I placing my bets over here cuz I can't find the other TV tread. Country music channel will get the Sport SUV. ESPN will get the 4 door and National Geo will get the 2 door. And in that order over the time slot.

dweskamp

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GMC truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Idk. Maybe someone will post the video in question, not like they deserve more attention.
But in a nutshell, made a video about some Bronco leak. Then claim Ford blacklisted them from future events. Then bitched and moaned about it in a couple of videos. Something like that.
But eh, they did it to themselves. They came here earlier to defend themselves, then left after a couple posts.. So idk. I moved on... But that's the best I can answer your question.
Thanks I watch them. Goofy sometimes, but some good stuff too

dweskamp

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GMC truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I placing my bets over here cuz I can't find the other TV tread. Country music channel will get the Sport SUV. ESPN will get the 4 door and National Geo will get the 2 door. And in that order over the time slot.
I'm recording all 3

danzy55

Base
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2003 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
He's up in Massachusetts where it's cold half of the year. I used to live near there, right over the Rhode Island boarder.
That's TAXACHUSETTS to you! lol Hey I travel for work all over the country, spent many days in TX and LA on those 100+ days. I totally understand
Sponsored