Reaction score
Website
mccoys2nativealaska.net
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Based on what we know many of us cannot configure our ideal Bronco. This is not a knock on Ford. The options are excellent. Just wish we had more flexibility to configure the options.

i had planned on the badlands version and then optioning it out to be similar to F/E which I could not reserve.

Ideally I would like the marine vinyl/rubber floors combined with the sport track mode. That doesn’t appear to be an option as of this moment.

To get Sport mode I need to get the wildtrack version. The more I read about sport mode 2.7 eco boost, many say sport mode is a must have option. I don’t want the tranny constantly swapping to the highest gear to maximize mpg. Reminds me of when I had a friend that but a new in 2019 Camaro SS with 425hp. Once he got on the interstate the cylinder deactivation would kick in and it went Into limp mode.

Am I the only one that thinks that sport mode is that big of a deal to cause them to change their trim level.
Glad you brought that up. So subtle I hadn't noticed and when you watch the reviews they all mention 6&7GOAT modes but none of them i have seen mention this.

Bayou_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have flex fuel system on my GTR. It will adjust the tune based on the % of ethanol content. It does require larger fuel pumps. You also don’t want to let vehicles sit for an extending period of time while running E-85. I would not do e-85 on a Bronco. This vehicle was not built to be a speed demon.
Yep I'm running my CTS-V on FLEX. It will make an additional 90whp going from 93 to E65, on the same boost. Your are right on the Bronco no being a speed demon. No way I'd even consider doing this to it. I'll do a 93 octane tune and be done.

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Based on what we know many of us cannot configure our ideal Bronco. This is not a knock on Ford. The options are excellent. Just wish we had more flexibility to configure the options.

i had planned on the badlands version and then optioning it out to be similar to F/E which I could not reserve.

Ideally I would like the marine vinyl/rubber floors combined with the sport track mode. That doesn’t appear to be an option as of this moment.

To get Sport mode I need to get the wildtrack version. The more I read about sport mode 2.7 eco boost, many say sport mode is a must have option. I don’t want the tranny constantly swapping to the highest gear to maximize mpg. Reminds me of when I had a friend that but a new in 2019 Camaro SS with 425hp. Once he got on the interstate the cylinder deactivation would kick in and it went Into limp mode.

Am I the only one that thinks that sport mode is that big of a deal to cause them to change their trim level.
For what it is worth, I don't much like the stock Sport mode on turbo Raptors. In my opinion, the more you like V8's the less you will like Sport mode. It keeps the engine spun up under low load, and it gets annoying (sounds like it is trying way too hard). The 0-60 performance is essentially identical for Normal and Sport modes. That said, Baja does a similar thing for offroad, but that is OK for lots of partial-throttle and speed fluctuations.

In my case I got a tune that improves the power, shift points, shift firmness, and aggressive downshift of Normal mode without the engine holding high revs constantly.

Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
That sounds like an easy remedy. How reliable is this information.

I can’t remember where I read it but it was from one of the major auto publications.

Standard is normal, eco, Sport, Rain, Sand
Base gets standard only
Big bend - Standard plus Mud
Black diamond- Standard +mud, rock
Outer banks - standard + mud
Bad lands- standard + mud, Rock, Baja
Wild track - standard + mud, Baja
First edition is badlands with all the options

DrewL

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150, 2020 Fusion Hybrid, 2009 Rubicon 2D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I try to resist, but almost always drive my F150 with the 10 speed auto and 3.5L in Sport mode. Tow/Haul mode performs similarly. Perhaps that mode will come with the tow package.

AZRap

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Raptor, 16 Mustang, 56 F100, 19 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When using Baja mode in my Raptor it disables abs, tc and maybe other things. Also keeps the turbos spooled to have crisper throttle response. If the Bronco is the same it's probably not safe to disable safety features for most drivers out there..

NoBigDeal

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am well aware that you can Tune these vehicles. The last three fun vehicles I have had have been tuned. My GTR has the transmission tuned as well. The downside is you put your power train warranty at risk . I don’t want to do that again until I exhaust my factory warranty on the Bronco. Then I will have it tuned most likely by VMP to really juice it’s up.
With Ford Performance planning to offer a tune package for the 2.3 Ranger I could very well see them do the same for the Bronco. It probably won't be 5-star numbers, but it won't void your warranty.

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I must say I find it funny how when myself or others complain about the 4 cyl. or the V6 and wish we had a v8, a lot of people come in here and say, don't worry, you can tune it.

Now me being clueless about "tuning" an engine just assumed it was similar to flashing the software, adding a chip or something like that.

Yet I see you guys here talking about tuning and needing new exhaust, intake manifold, bigger fuel pumps and 2 grand later you have this really powerful engine.

Now my head is spinning so much it hurts. I know I can't have a V8 (though if Ford offers it in a few years I will probably get a new Bronco) but this 'tuning' thing sounds like a pain in the ass.

There ya go... I have spoken ? V8's for life!

Sponsored

SouthernBronco6g

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Typically, a tune may include a larger intake (approx 500), a handheld tuner (400-500) larger injectors (500 plus) A custom Dyno tune can run between 500-1000. I would expect a minimum of 1500-2000 All in. If you change the exhaust to allow less restriction for the turbos the price goes up from there.
Wrong, it’s just a handheld tuner and custom tune by whoever you choose, usually around $500. Only time you need to upgrade to injectors is usually once you run out of the stock injector limits or use E85. Currently it cost a whole $25 to get a tune update for new mods from MPT.
MPT is who I will use since they currently tune F150 3.5 EB and Raptors. They also are,purchasing two Broncos for their shop.
One in 2.7 EB (they already have a reserved Wildtrack) and one in 2.3 EB at a later date.

Fwiw my mustang has been tuned by MPT since new in 2013 with under 1000 miles. Ive been full bolt on with 4 different gear swaps and now run MPT twin turbocharged On same car.
7 years since new and not one hiccup.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I must say I find it funny how when myself or others complain about the 4 cyl. or the V6 and wish we had a v8, a lot of people come in here and say, don't worry, you can tune it.

Now me being clueless about "tuning" an engine just assumed it was similar to flashing the software, adding a chip or something like that.

Yet I see you guys here talking about tuning and needing new exhaust, intake manifold, bigger fuel pumps and 2 grand later you have this really powerful engine.

Now my head is spinning so much it hurts. I know I can't have a V8 (though if Ford offers it in a few years I will probably get a new Bronco) but this 'tuning' thing sounds like a pain in the ass.

There ya go... I have spoken ? V8's for life!
So a basic tune will allow you to run e85 or 93 octane. That will at ~30 hp and 50lbft
Because the normal ratings are based off of normal 87 fuel. (Tune $500)

But then a cheap simple intake, intercooler and cat back exhaust will add another 30hp and 50lbft. Give or take.

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So a basic tune will allow you to run e85 or 93 octane. That will at ~30 hp and 50lbft
Because the normal ratings are based off of normal 87 fuel. (Tune $500)

But then a cheap simple intake, intercooler and cat back exhaust will add another 30hp and 50lbft. Give or take.
Yeah no offense, you guys like your tunes and all and I get that. I'm not looking to do a "cheap" intake and intercooler. And I'd save my cat back exhaust (which cheap starts at 300 bucks) which I'd rather have on the V8 that I can't have right now.

So I'll stick with the stock V6 as I figured I'd be doing. Maybe an exhaust if I find the tone I like.

RockEye

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Subaru WRX STI, 2DR Badlands Reservation
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One of the best ways to get power out of a tune is to ditch the cats, especially the downpipe(s) coming off the turbos. It will spin up to full boost a lot faster. If you're into sound, the stock airbox has a silencing effect to the turbos. If you get an intake you can usually hear them spool up and maybe even the wastegate.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
One of the best ways to get power out of a tune is to ditch the cats, especially the downpipe(s) coming off the turbos. It will spin up to full boost a lot faster. If you're into sound, the stock airbox has a silencing effect to the turbos. If you get an intake you can usually hear them spool up and maybe even the wastegate.
Always upgrade the inner cooler on ecoboost engines too!
They are hugely choked out. In the name of MPG. You will gain a noticeable amount from a cheap easy upgrade
Sponsored