Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So sport mode is different between my Big Bend and my Black Diamond. Both have/had 2.3 with 10 speed automatic but different ratios 3.73 vs 4.45.

Big Bend with 3.73 in sport mode would limit the transmission to 8th gear, Black Diamond goes to 10th. Big Bend would hold the rpms higher (200-300rpm) around town and casual driving. I liked sport mode in the Big Bend more, it felt more aggressive. I believe there is more aggressive shift pattern hiding in my Black Diamond ecu!
Sponsored

BroncoSarge

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AMB Bronco, 2021 CO Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m confused in this one. How fast does an off road capable vehicle need to be? Are people street racing Broncos now? Plenty of faster vehicles for less money.

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I’m confused in this one. How fast does an off road capable vehicle need to be? Are people street racing Broncos now? Plenty of faster vehicles for less money.
I'm in this camp too, I like that my truck has enough power to get out of it's own way and not feel sluggish getting on the freeway (looking at you, Tacoma). But it's a 4500 lb brick, I have next to zero desire to go fast in it. if I want to go fast, I've got the VW parked ready and waiting in the garage for that stuff.

OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I want the more aggressive shift pattern out of the transmission and better gear holding for driving around the mountains. Floored they are exactly the same...

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I want it all.

Sponsored

BroncoSarge

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I want the more aggressive shift pattern out of the transmission and better gear holding for driving around the mountains. Floored they are exactly the same...
Has that proven to be a problem on the Bronco? I sometimes wonder if people are applying well-worn logic learned with Jeeps to Broncos, just because instead of making sure it's actually an issue with the Bronco.
For example, why not just drop the transmission into manual? M1 and M2 should hold.

BroncoSarge

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I went off-road on a trail, I did Baja mode. It scared me a little and I have ridden a Hayabusa. Think I’m good with the power personally. Y’all do you though.

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not the point.

The point is, in Sport mode it‘s snappier off the line, more responsive to throttle input, holds gears longer before upshifting, and provides more engine braking when off-throttle. All of these things are desirable to me, no matter how “fast” or “slow” a vehicle is.

OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Has that proven to be a problem on the Bronco? I sometimes wonder if people are applying well-worn logic learned with Jeeps to Broncos, just because instead of making sure it's actually an issue with the Bronco.
For example, why not just drop the transmission into manual? M1 and M2 should hold.
I use sport mode when I'm driving around mountain roads, I like the earlier down shift and the transmission holding some rpms for going up hills. I also tend to get better mileage with less boost and works the vehicle less.

I do drive in manual mode but Ford sport mode is a big selling point. My F150 sport mode makes manual shifting pointless in the mountains. I just stating there is programming differences, I like how Big Bend w/3.73 shifts.

Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I guess I can’t argue with that. LOL
Ft Bragg! I was there from about 2000-2005. Can't say I miss it all that much but I need to get back that way someday and visit that terrible Airborne museum in Fayetteville again.

BroncoSarge

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ft Bragg! I was there from about 2000-2005. Can't say I miss it all that much but I need to get back that way someday and visit that terrible Airborne museum in Fayetteville again.
Haha. I retired here. Got here in 89 and only left for Korea and a Title XI job. Just feels like home after 29 years. Live out in Cameron now. Quieter and get to see my fellow Jumpmasters work as they approach Sicily.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Haha. I retired here. Got here in 89 and only left for Korea and a Title XI job. Just feels like home after 29 years. Live out in vnow. Quieter and get to see my fellow Jumpmasters work as they approach Sicily.
I remember that being over by Carthage, no? Or close by? Carthage is an interesting place if you're in the know.

I miss the south terribly, but the crime in Fayetteville was terrible. My first deployment after 9/11 saw both my condo broken into and emptied and my car stolen. I was on the "good" side of the tracks as well.

BroncoSarge

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I remember that being over by Carthage, no? Or close by? Carthage is an interesting place if you're in the know.

I miss the south terribly, but the crime in Fayetteville was terrible. My first deployment after 9/11 saw both my condo broken into and emptied and my car stolen. I was on the "good" side of the tracks as well.
I’m about 20 minutes from Bragg. Don’t see issues out here. Too many land owners with guns. It’s nice a quiet. Have a 2 yr old 5 br on 3 acres. Mostly wooded.
Sponsored