First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra, Rav4 hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Someone asked how the test went. Well electrically it failed. No rear lighting on trailer with Bronco lights on as is the front running board light on the trailer. Perhaps it's the trailer wiring. That's why is is good they are running tests but this rig should not have been allowed to leave the yard. Thanks for taking the pictures and starting such a good discussion.
Sponsored

bdub2you

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IndyBoswell

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer, Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

How many people are planning on going with Ford's towing package vs aftermarket? There isn't any benefit for Ford's aside from them installing it right? Also there isn't anything like a trans cooler or extra cooling included right? Just the wiring and hitch.
I’m getting the tow package, I asked the same question, and my sales guy said that there is an “anti-sway” function with a tow button in the cabin that triggers it. He also said it allows you to put on cruise control without the transmission constantly trying to downshift. i Have a similar button on my Explorer, which I use and it seems to make a minor difference. But yes, my bet is that you could probably get away with an aftermarket bolt-on just fine, if you’re ok with skipping the computer assist Tow button.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Since it's a blanket rating across all of the models, regardless of wheelbase or suspension considering it the maximum that the least capable Bronco can handle. Which is probably something like a 4 cylinder Squatch.
The 2.3 is fine for towing, like Jay-Rod427 says below. And it's actually not a blanket rating across all of them - a couple of them are actually rated slightly lower and there are three GCWRs posted. IMO three indicates that they did minimal testing.

The reason Ford is giving a 3,500lb rating is simple. suspension, brakes, wheelbase. The engine/trans is capable of much more given the Ranger, or F150.

Does it have the power to tow more? Absolutely. Will it tow more safely and comfortably? Def not. Especially with tall sidewall/relatively small wheel size combo.

Can't have soft "off-road" suspension and safe heavier towing cap. Look at the Raptor. It's crap compared to properly equipped for towing F150.

That said I plan on doing a bit of towing right at or slightly over the "max", but slow speed, and short distances. Will be adding a brake controller to help with the brake dive. My 16' tandem axle with either my mower, or sxs will prob be a bit over the 3,500.
At this time we have absolutely zero indication that the brakes are a limiting factor - in fact at least one of the KOH videos featured a driver saying that the brakes were very good. Considering that it is "based on" the Ranger that tows 7500lbs, there is no reason that the brakes on this should be a problem for towing.

Now as for your proclamation that it can't tow more safely, have a look at the GCWRs posted by Ford and subtract the curb weights for the lower trims like BB. By Ford's own numbers that they got from the SAE J2807 testing those lower trims are capable of towing over 4000lbs. And again by their own numbers this includes the 2-doors!

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
We can bitch and complain all day long about Bronco not being able to tow its way out of a paper bag. My question is how much help can the after market offer in this regard without compromising the off road performance. Air bags?

Sponsored

t3n2and4

Badlands
First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, F150, VW CC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

We can bitch and complain all day long about Bronco not being able to tow its way out of a paper bag. My question is how much help can the after market offer in this regard without compromising the off road performance. Air bags?
Don't forget that airbags (if they do help) add to your curb weight, so you're losing overhead on your GCWR when you install them. Depending on which BD you are getting, you may be cutting into your 3500lb tow cap if you have much payload over just your self-weight in the vehicle.

BroncoTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5G Bronco, 2014 crossover
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The next vehicle I get will need to tow at least 2500-3000lb because I'm thinking of getting a modest travel trailer.

The towing cap is 3500# and I have to assume that is based on wheelbase and weight distribution, not drivetrain.

My 92 bronco with less power and torque than the 2.3L can tow more than the new ones are rated.

PKE956

Wildtrak
First Name
PK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
When you're looking at these trailers make sure that the stated weight is the GTWR, not the dry weight, and also check the tongue weight as well. It's very easy to creep over 3500lbs GTWR and 350lbs tongue weight.

Also if you have any kind of passengers or cargo with you - even some furry friends - you can exceed GCWR on the BL and WT quite quickly if you're towing something close to 3500lbs. Lower end trims have quite a bit of GCWR room though.
Is there a published max tongue weight? Is it 350 lbs? Or, is the limit on tongue weight just a function of how much of the other stuff you loaded in/on the vehicle vs. the max load carrying capacity?

Depending on the configuration of the trailer and how it's loaded you could have a 3500 lb loaded trailer with a very heavy tongue weight!

Beetsport

Wildtrak
First Name
Stephan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 F150 4x4, 1990 VW Vanagon Syncro Westfali,
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm towing! Track car & trailer is right around the 3500 range. Fuel, gear, spare parts, food etc. I'm sure will push me over a bit.
Giving the suspension set up I know what to expect from towing with my Bronco. Trading in my F150 for the Bronco so not going back to a truck for a long time.

Will the Bronco computer system pick up on weight being pulled? Asking for a friend.. :)

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Is there a published max tongue weight? Is it 350 lbs? Or, is the limit on tongue weight just a function of how much of the other stuff you loaded in/on the vehicle vs. the max load carrying capacity?

Depending on the configuration of the trailer and how it's loaded you could have a 3500 lb loaded trailer with a very heavy tongue weight!
Yes it has been published that the max tongue weight for that Class II hitch reciever is 350lbs.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The next vehicle I get will need to tow at least 2500-3000lb because I'm thinking of getting a modest travel trailer.

The towing cap is 3500# and I have to assume that is based on wheelbase and weight distribution, not drivetrain.

My 92 bronco with less power and torque than the 2.3L can tow more than the new ones are rated.
Start researching - there is very little in that weight range.

You would think wheelbase would be important, but the 2-doors and 4-doors, with a 16" difference, have the same GCWRs and (artificially limited) tow capacities. In fact, some 2-doors have a higher tow cap than their 4-door counterparts and because their GCWR is the same but curb weight is less, their actual TWR is higher!!!

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The more I think, the more ridiculous 3500# is. Can't even tow a midsize sedan on a single-axle dolly without going over the limit.

My Flex, despite being a unibody crossover with "sport" suspension, is good for 4500.

I know there's a ton of factors but it just seems like a body on frame should be able to handle more.

rgalvinmi

Base
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 2 Door, 2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Base
Those "aren't" the Base models 17" steelies, right? I wish they were, but probably the upgraded bronco wheels...? Bob
Sponsored