Sponsored

Spy Video, Underbody / Suspension and Interior Closeups of 2021 Bronco Prototype!

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I know how to get those pesky shock mounts out of the way...switch to IRS and have them mounted on the top of the lower control arm :giggle:
Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Am I the only one who thinks this spy video is actually put out by Ford? How else can you explain the fact that at 32 seconds in the video cuts away, had it continued the vehicle would have been boxed in giving us a much better size comparison with other traffic.
100% Ford backed. Either through very thick collusion or downright internal job.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yeah zero chance this wasn’t ford leaked. Anything that they don’t want us to see we ain’t seein

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yeah zero chance this wasn’t ford leaked. Anything that they don’t want us to see we ain’t seein
At the chicken processing plant, the sign on the wall says "parts is parts". That's somewhat the same way I am with the underbelly of a vehicle. Not knowing crap personally about auto mechanics, I rely a lot on the temperature reading of the guys on this forum.

Assuming you are correct that Ford has a bucket of these clips/shots just waiting to bleed out, I gotta say they're not doing themselves any favors with their selection so far.

Hardly anyone here seems impressed!

Sponsored

Streetfish

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser TTUE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think Fords target market with the off-road enthusiasts is more of the overlanding crowd than the rock crawling crowd. Overlanding is becoming much more popular in the USA these days. overlanders seem to prefer IFS as you are traveling at a higher rate of speed than rock crawlers. I think the bronco will be more similar to the FJ than the Wrangler. The FJ was quite capable, easy to lift 3-4 inches, and put bigger tires on for those that wanted it. It was also quite capable on the rocks from what I've seen but obviously not as much as a Wrangler.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I was thinking the exact same thing! Ive been looking over the rear axle and I just can't seem to find a rear coil. Some of the outside pics might show a coil behind the tire. Makes me wonder if there is some sort of coilover system going on back there!
Appears so, the one pic you can sort of see the entire "coil over" angled forward, for more travel I assume.
Guess that's why the shock mounts are road graders also.

I must be out of the loop on these newer rigs with really low shock mounts. As mentioned wrangler is almost as bad.

20180205120139-3efd524b.jpg

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm having a hard time finding a rear sway bar too... What did they do back there?? This is interesting.
Was some talk about adjustable suspension. Could be some beefed up MagneRide that you don't need sways.
Course that doesn't explain the front. Probably just didn't have it on yet, which would be odd for drivetrain/susp testing.

6GSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Ford Bronco Spy Video, Underbody / Suspension and Interior Closeups of 2021 Bronco Prototype! 20180205120139-3efd524b

Those look 1-2 inches higher at least than the Bronco. granted, that perspective could be off if those are 20" rims on those jeep, then I would be more inclined to agree with you.
Lol... this is the exact pic I was looking at as a comparison

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks pretty "done" from here. The IFS crossmembers are welded to the frame. The only way to make it more off road capable is to make it ridiculously wide. Unless someone is suggesting there are different frames for different trims.

Ford Bronco Spy Video, Underbody / Suspension and Interior Closeups of 2021 Bronco Prototype! 2021_FordBronco.frontsusp01 rotatecro

Sponsored

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Couldn't make it past page 4 here, sheesh lol, i'll wait for more leaks and or "leaks" before I add to the discussion.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I fall into the enthusiast column. The wife drives a Ford Explorer, why ??? Because I bleed Ford blue, and it was the closest thing I could find with interior room, 4WD, and gets more than 10 miles to the gallon, that she could use as a daily driver and for family vacations. Will I own a Bronco, SURE just not sure if I'll be the first one on my block. because it's better than my Explorer off road, I can see that already. The real question for me is ….. will I get rid of my TJ to get a Bronco ??? ….. for me that is yet to be determined. I will decide after I see all the available options. I am confident that Ford has not "played" all their cards yet. For those in this forum, who are not Ford people, and who don't know the deal ……… Ford bought Troller mid 00's. It has DANA 44 front and DANA 44 rear, both SA, both link suspension, and both coil sprung. It is the Wrangler of South America. Now if Ford was smart and they want a capable off-roader it is not hard to have IFS AND SFA as options. when the frame is first being assembled it can have either bracket installed before continuing down the assembly line. I can see Ford offering both, they have already built a SFA vehicle, just not in the states, they have the capability.

You make a valid point here Crispy …. I would be they guy that buys a SFA Bronco:please:, put a set of springs and a set of tires on it with weeks of getting it. the take to the closest rock garden. Shoot some video of how it will go anywhere. Post it on you tube. Then listen to all the mall crawlers say to their friends about how their Bronco can do that. That is fine with me more sales for Ford. Same thing happened with my TJ. I bought it because I knew what it was capable of, but most that buy a Wrangler now just so they can say "I have a Wrangler I can do that". You said it best "create the image that the 95 % feel like they are buying into".

If Ford wants to sell SUV'S then they will sell a whole lot more if they offer a SFA option.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
So is there anything to glean by comparing this to a Ranger Raptor rear axle? It does appear to be a Dana 44, and honestly the shock mount etc looks more like a gladiator than a Wrangler. (Maybe something to do with being 5-link? No idea)

89D1ADCD-2582-4A45-B8F8-72F67482A454.jpeg
B22FE593-E4D8-4938-9257-707A70D8D338.jpeg

gladiator just for reference
9C56839D-E8CB-417F-938C-8CE52B2DEF25.jpeg

Last edited:

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
So I reached out to a different buddy who builds Jeeps for a living. He is not a fan of IFS since most of his builds are serious crawlers. But here’s what he had to say about the rear axle:

1. (On the shock mounting)Looks good to me. Different to see them angled forward that much on stock, mounying like that you can get a little more travel out of them

2.Looks like a Dana 44

3. I like the rear track bar mounts and angle

4. Lower arms are nice and flat. Looks good. Reminds me of a JK and 4Runner combined

5. I like how long the track bar is too

And just for kicks here’s his Jeep. If he’s praising a stock Ford vehicle they’re getting something right.

Also, why the hell are they putting all this effort into a rear axle without something equal to match up front? Makes me very suspicious....

F9E7BDE5-E5A0-417A-8A78-C105C51045BA.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited: