Sponsored

Spy Video, Underbody / Suspension and Interior Closeups of 2021 Bronco Prototype!

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Man you all are ruining my Bronco buzz.

I do share your concerns as the front end looks low and the IFS looks short on the road (to be fair a stock Jeep Gladiator does too). However, that rear end looks really impressive to me. They’ve got something new going on back there. There’s definitely a reason they hid it well.

The best part of the FrankenBronco video they released was watching that rear end work. I was very impressed with what I saw there.

I’m super excited about the roof. Or lack of it. That roll bar looks sturdy and Its looking like the Bronco can go full topless!

The front suspension is concerning. I don’t mind it coming with an IFS but this does not look impressive. I’m still wondering though if the Bronco has some kind of ride hight adjustment as there were a few pictures with the other spy Bronco that looked to have quite a bit more room and higher stance.

I don’t know why Ford would go that hard core on the rear end and give it
short low front arms.

I’m not jumping to any bad conclusions yet as everything else looks great to me of what we can see.

I’m also very excited about the dash. Looks like they are going to go with a more upright Jeep, EB looking dash.

Again, I want a trail rig, not a rock crawler, not a desert racer but a capable trail rig. Mainly an overlander. IFS is fine but let’s hope it’s a little better then what this looks like. I’m still confident it will be.
No freaking out yet. We should know better by now.
Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Man you all are ruining my Bronco buzz.

I do share your concerns as the front end looks low and the IFS looks short on the road (to be fair a stock Jeep Gladiator does too). However, that rear end looks really impressive to me. They’ve got something new going on back there. There’s definitely a reason they hid it well.

The best part of the FrankenBronco video they released was watching that rear end work. I was very impressed with what I saw there.

I’m super excited about the roof. Or lack of it. That roll bar looks sturdy and Its looking like the Bronco can go full topless!

The front suspension is concerning. I don’t mind it coming with an IFS but this does not look impressive. I’m still wondering though if the Bronco has some kind of ride hight adjustment as there were a few pictures with the other spy Bronco that looked to have quite a bit more room and higher stance.

I don’t know why Ford would go that hard core on the rear end and give it
short low front arms.

I’m not jumping to any bad conclusions yet as everything else looks great to me of what we can see.

I’m also very excited about the dash. Looks like they are going to go with a more upright Jeep, EB looking dash.

Again, I want a trail rig, not a rock crawler, not a desert racer but a capable trail rig. Mainly an overlander. IFS is fine but let’s hope it’s a little better then what this looks like. I’m still confident it will be.
No freaking out yet. We should know better by now.
Yeah I’m still very suspicious at this point. The base model wranglers are getting Dana 35 rear axles which give up strength for cost savings. (But are still fine up to a 35” tire) So why is this a Dana 44 :inspect:

ztobro

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler 2.0T
Yeah I’m still very suspicious at this point. The base model wranglers are getting Dana 35 rear axles which give up strength for cost savings. (But are still fine up to a 35” tire) So why is this a Dana 44 :inspect:
I think people are forgetting that these newest photos are still of a prototype, not a production model. For all we know this could be production rear suspension, but a fake IFS to throw us off. Quite possible the production model gets a beefier long-travel IFS (or SFA for those who want it)... I hope. :giggle:

Hautian

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado 1500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
That would be an FJ Cruiser has retained the most value!
Used FJ prices are simple supply and demand. The didn't sell well when new so there aren't many of them out there. The FJ Cruiser was a modern interpretation of the old 40 series: better ride, better towing, more creature comforts, more cargo space. They obviously missed the mark otherwise it would still be sold today. From what we have seen the Bronco Bronco is using a similar recipe. I understand the desire for better handling manners, which most of this forum seems to want, but a SFA can be made to handle well with the right suspension setup.

Toyota FJ Cruiser – US – By Year

Yearsold

Currently the LR Defender seems to have the best recipe for overlanding: it can tow 8,200 lbs, the roof has a dynamic load capacity of 371 lbs, and a payload just shy of 2000 lbs. I wouldn't want one but I think they got the number right.

If Ford wants the Bronco to be the best at overlanding they should be looking to do better than a 4runner and defender in capacities and not using jeep as a target.

IFS vs SFA

Personally I wanted a modern Bronco with a SFA as an alternative to a Jeep. Good thing is I can still buy a Jeep if the Bronco doesn't do it for me.

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think people are forgetting that these newest photos are still of a prototype, not a production model. For all we know this could be production rear suspension, but a fake IFS to throw us off. Quite possible the production model gets a beefier long-travel IFS (or SFA for those who want it)... I hope. :giggle:
This is why I'm not jumping ship or listening to the Prophets of Doom

BHShaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Used FJ prices are simple supply and demand. The didn't sell well when new so there aren't many of them out there. The FJ Cruiser was a modern interpretation of the old 40 series.... a modern Bronco with a SFA as an alternative to a Jeep. Good thing is I can still buy a Jeep if the Bronco doesn't do it for me.
FJSeries was a Toyota version of an XTerra, not of the original FJ, despite whatever their marketing said.
It looked like a Tonka Toy, with no Removable Top.

I went through the same wait and expectations of the FJSeries as I am the Bronco.
At least the spy shots show that Ford is considering a TopOff Bronco.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We're past the stage where shell games make sense. It has reached the point that kind of thinking is delusional. With any other model we'd have seen it with minimal camo a few months before the debut, so they're not changing much in the hardware Dept anymore either -- just sorting out programing and tuning.

Like I pointed out yesterday, the IFS cross members are welded to the frame. Having multiple frame variants for one wheelbase is extremely unlikely.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
We're past the stage where shell games make sense. It has reached the point that kind of thinking is delusional. With any other model we'd have seen it with minimal camo a few months before the debut, so they're not changing much in the hardware Dept anymore either -- just sorting out programing and tuning.

Like I pointed out yesterday, the IFS cross members are welded to the frame. Having multiple frame variants for one wheelbase is extremely unlikely.
No company leaks incorrect information that is detrimental to their message...so you have to believe yesterday's releases are WYSIWYG.

Different capabilities indexed to different trims/price points - sure. But now's the time to flash something that makes people WANT IT - not question it.

Hautian

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado 1500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
FJSeries was a Toyota version of an XTerra, not of the original FJ, despite whatever their marketing said.
It looked like a Tonka Toy, with no Removable Top.

I went through the same wait and expectations of the FJSeries as I am the Bronco.
At least the spy shots show that Ford is considering a TopOff Bronco.
I’m with you on what the FJ actually was vs what they marketed it as. I wasn’t a fan of the looks but It was their version of a modern day FJ 40. I don’t feel that the removable top made the 40 series any more than I think a removable top made the original Bronco. I don’t care either way about the top.

I know I’m in the minority since I’m looking at the Bronco as a secondary vehicle. No matter what they did with the new Bronco it would never meet all of my needs so I have to have two different vehicles.

While I’d like a SFA, IFS would work for me if it can fit 35’s easily and the cv’s can hold up.

Sponsored

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Go buy an ICON.
As one of the second group, it is not my job to finance your specific needs.
Where's the downvote or dislike button? 'Hurr Durr Go Buy a 200k hand-built vehicle'. There will be NO Bronco in a couple of years if it does not appeal to the people who intend to use it seriously off road

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Where's the downvote or dislike button? 'Hurr Durr Go Buy a 200k hand-built vehicle'. There will be NO Bronco in a couple of years if it does not appeal to the people who intend to use it seriously off road
I think that as Teocali talked about a ways back, the Bronco has a much broader skill set than possibly any other off-road vehicle before it. We can already tell it’s got a great rear axle, great approach and departure angles, great powertrain, removable top, 2 and 4 door variants, rumors of 33” or 35” tires from the factory, and the raptor version which like I’ve said before nobody on this forum knows anything about. Is it possible it won’t come with an SFA? Sure. But an IFS rig on 35’s or 37’s even without MUH SFA FLEX is still going to be a beast off-road in the rocks. Guess what happens when you’ve only got 3 tires on the ground? Activate your locker! That’s what it’s there for.

THEMANatwar

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 F150 Flareside, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tell that to the thousands of bone stock Wranglers that never see more offroad than hitting the curb at the local Target parking lot. Sure the hard-core fans provide a brand image but they are definately not keeping the whole thing afloat.

BHShaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The Bronco does not need to be a reskinned Rubicon. The Raptor is selling just fine. The Tremor is coming.
There will be enthusiast vehicles, just maybe not a Rubicon Clone.

My point is, the "softening" of the vehicle to create/maintain a market than leads to the ability to drop niche products.
Complaining that the 95% are ruining your change to get your 5% of sales is the wrong approach.

Encourage ANYTHING that gets the Bronco out the door, then as the market grows fill the niche lines (Raptor, Cobra, etc.)

Tslater1989

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 f150, 2016 explorer, 97 f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco Spy Video, Underbody / Suspension and Interior Closeups of 2021 Bronco Prototype! 1579703849262

Things I'm noticing. what are the marks on the frame here?
Is that a locker setup on the rear?
Where are the rear 1/4's?
Sponsored