Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

*7/13/22 Edit-
Since my original post I developed another squeak from the tailgate area, maybe a month after. This new squeak was coming from the seals on the rear glass, meeting the tailgate. In the original post this was a known area and treated with a lube I found at autozone, which did not fix the original issue since that was caused by MIC top. This time I lubed that seal with krytox lube that Ford recommends, and the squeak is gone a couple months now. Clearly a superior product than the silicon based I applied before. I have a buddy who works for Ford, and he highly recommends the Krytox lube, which Ford dictates to be used for all seal and NVR issues. He applied to his squeaky tailgate in December and is still squeak free. This seems to be the more common cause of tailgate squeaks and I think everyone will encounter it eventually, although the TSB outlined in this post is another cause, just less common. Someone described this squeak sounding like there was a case of water bottles in the back banging around, and I think thats a perfect description. Krytox lube found here:

Krytox by Chemours GPL 205 Grease, Pure PFPE/PTFE, 0.5 oz Tube (D10170248): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Recently my 4 door hardtop Bronco started a new obnoxious noise, a squeak coming from the cargo area. I've actually heard this noise randomly since delivery, but was far too infrequent to ever pinpoint it. A couple weeks ago it became relentless and non stop. I have zero tolerance for squeaks/rattles, and have a love/hate relationship with my Bronco due to all the time I've had to spend chasing them down, but this was one that would drive anyone crazy. I haven't lost a rattle(squeak) battle yet, and wasn't about to loose this one.

I started with my go to method, have my wife drive around while I sit in the back and chase down the noise. This one was hard to pinpoint, it was obviously coming from the tailgate area but couldn't tell exactly where. I thought it was the hinges or seals, which I lubed but didn't help. Then I lubed and insulated the lift gate window stoppers, no help. Lubed the tailgate latch, no help. Then I spent some time on a deep dive of internet searching to see if anyone else had this issue. All I really found was tailgate rattles, but my noise is a squeak, not a rattle. Still spent some time investigating things people with tailgate rattle found like the rubber stoppers for the spare tire. Removed spare, no help. Took apart the tailgate front and back to get access to the inside, didn't see anything. Another round of searching I came across recently released TSB # 22-2097 - 5 Door - Hard Top Roof - Squeak and/or chirp from rear of vehicle. Well damn that's me.

TSB basically points to body gap at the rear fender and hardtop. Peeking at mine I instantly realize this is going to be my problem. TSB with procedure attached.

First step is take a 1mm feeler gauge and see if you have resistance sticking it between the fender and MIC top. Driver side slides in with no resistance.

Ford Bronco Squeak coming from Cargo Area - Fixed ✅ 39619596-96B4-4158-935B-9ED69DBF2FF6

Passenger side doesn't come close, the gap is tight and appears to make contact in a certain area.

Ford Bronco Squeak coming from Cargo Area - Fixed ✅ 98B317D2-6C4F-4823-BACB-46F1A54F1232

So the next step is to remove the plastic hinge cover to get access to the mounting bolts. The procedure has you loosen one of the bolts, push fender in, and retighten. If that doesn't create enough gap, do the same procedure on the other mounting bolt. I had to do the procedure on both bolts a couple times, the fender is very flimsy so I took it easy being careful not to dent or bend the panel. Here are the results after my adjustments, you can see how much I moved the fender by the exposed paint marks.

Ford Bronco Squeak coming from Cargo Area - Fixed ✅ F2B2C12D-6F6D-42AE-9EA2-19BC701A2BEA

After adjustment I can now slide the 1mm feeler guage in, but its tight.

Ford Bronco Squeak coming from Cargo Area - Fixed ✅ EFD50464-B0D6-4C38-AA4E-E40987827438

There is no way I can get the 2.5-5.5mm gap recommended by the TSB without damaging the fender. In my case, my issue isn't really the fender itself, its my damn MIC top. This is what my passenger corner looks like.

Ford Bronco Squeak coming from Cargo Area - Fixed ✅ 438272A2-98FC-48E9-B49A-3A9ACCB3AB9D

Driver side for comparison.

Ford Bronco Squeak coming from Cargo Area - Fixed ✅ B33FBB71-5250-420E-A670-B069754AFECD

You can see how the corner sits lower than the window panel on passenger side. This is one of the many issues with my MIC top I've noted since delivery, but didn't realize it was rubbing on the fender.

Happy to report no squeaking sounds since making the adjustment. Not sure why it started squeaking so bad recently, I haven't taken the top off in about a month. The weather has really warmed up last couple weeks but not sure that's really a factor. Anyway, its a simple 15 minute procedure worth looking into if you have a squeaky tailgate area!
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Shoulda got the soft top! lol

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Glad you solved this. I also hate rattles/squeaks - More so ones that shouldn't be there, like this. I can live with something like a soft top rattling over. big bump or something.

I give you credit for your passion to find this too. I would have just gone to the dealership :ROFLMAO: One perk of a new vehicle- Warranty.

OP
OP
Ksjrb03

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Shoulda got the soft top! lol
Not a chance.
Glad you solved this. I also hate rattles/squeaks - More so ones that shouldn't be there, like this. I can live with something like a soft top rattling over. big bump or something.

I give you credit for your passion to find this too. I would have just gone to the dealership :ROFLMAO: One perk of a new vehicle- Warranty.
Ya, warranty works if you have a good dealer. After my experience of taking it to the dealer for the windows catching on the weather-stripping, and ultimately fixing it myself, dealer was last option.

Raptor.Tremor.Bronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak, 2014 Raptor, 2020 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I also have a pretty much constant squeak coming from the cargo area. Check my top and have a large gap so that's not my issue. I think the issue is the seals making noise so I'm going to try and clean them

Sponsored

KelEddy

Badlands
First Name
Kelton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How hard is it to take apart the tailgate? I have a rattle because something was dropped inside one of the openings when they were installing my tailgate table. When I open the door I can hear it rolling around.

OP
OP
Ksjrb03

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

How hard is it to take apart the tailgate? I have a rattle because something was dropped inside one of the openings when they were installing my tailgate table. When I open the door I can hear it rolling around.
Its easy. The inside has a panel you can pull off to gain access to that area. The outside you can take the spare off, then remove the spare tire mount and have access to the rest.

feralc

Outer Banks
First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outerbanks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Interesting, my MIC has the same issue but has gotten worse lately
And yes, it drives me crazy
Passenger side gap is narrower than drivers too
Could you please tell me where to find all existing TSBs? I have several issues that I have:
1 window wind noise,
2 windows too tight when I open the doors that the glass rattles
3 Door handle button intermittently not locking the doors
4 rear right door not locking with normal push
5 I had the dreaded popping noise of the drivers roof panel which I fixed with a piece of heat shrink tubing (without heating it)
6 squeak from Cargo area (this issue)

and things I do not remember

anyways, I was thinking about give this list to the dealer at my first oil change, but it will be WAY easier to point out TSBs if these are already known issues.
Thanks

16CCF3EB-51B5-4831-89E7-4449A1648BD6.jpeg

BD356B65-9433-4921-B049-BB5963AAE435.jpeg

OP
OP
Ksjrb03

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Interesting, my MIC has the same issue but has gotten worse lately
And yes, it drives me crazy
Passenger side gap is narrower than drivers too
Could you please tell me where to find all existing TSBs? I have several issues that I have:
1 window wind noise,
2 windows too tight when I open the doors that the glass rattles
3 Door handle button intermittently not locking the doors
4 rear right door not locking with normal push
5 I had the dreaded popping noise of the drivers roof panel which I fixed with a piece of heat shrink tubing (without heating it)
6 squeak from Cargo area (this issue)

and things I do not remember

anyways, I was thinking about give this list to the dealer at my first oil change, but it will be WAY easier to point out TSBs if these are already known issues.
Thanks
I have all of those except #4. There are TSBs on #2, 5, and 6. I just google 2021 Bronco TSBs and there are several sites that list them, some better than others.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Gross.
I have to admit I've thought you were just being overly picky on some of your complaints, but it appears you lucked into one of the sloppier builds.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ksjrb03

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I'd like to hire you to solve the ridiculous rattle coming from my passenger door panel please.
Oh man that’s a new one and I guarantee you just jinxed me as I seem to get all the known issues and more.

Raskew

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco, 2018 Stinger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have all of those except #4. There are TSBs on #2, 5, and 6. I just google 2021 Bronco TSBs and there are several sites that list them, some better than others.
I see the TSB's when I google, but they only identify the problem and don't have the solutions

OP
OP
Ksjrb03

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I see the TSB's when I google, but they only identify the problem and don't have the solutions
Ya sometimes you have to do a deep dive googling the tsb numbers can usually find it. This one was so new I had to go to “my guy”.

UtahBrandon

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puravidaoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
a number of classics and my 4dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have that same strip of sloppy ppf or whatever that is in the gap. I wondered if it's some type of protection against rubbing even though my MIC doesn't seem to touch it at all. Odd that I only have it on one side as well. I was going to redo it, but it doesn't seem necessary?
Sponsored