Sponsored

Sta-Bar Disconnect / Articulation --- is it best not to disconnect the sta-bar in some circumstances?

darinhouston

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just had a thought - is it best not to disconnect the sta-bar in some circumstances? For example, when I put a wheel on a high part of an obstacle, I can lift the body to gain clearance over other parts of that obstacle. But, if I have less flex, I raise the body less.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You'll pretty much want it engaged anywhere and everywhere you can while off roading. It will drastically soften your ride over rough terrain, allow your suspension to flex a bit more and keep the body of the vehicle more level when you put your tires up on rocks. Keep in mind that for most of history, people going off road would pull a quick disconnect on their sway bars and leave them disconnected until the drive home.

There are some niche cases where a sway bar can hurt a bit. When extremely close to tipping, its possible for the sway bar to allow a bit more body roll. Some feel this can cause you to fall over.. I personally think for new to intermediate drivers, the sway bar disconnected will cause less body movement (tipping due to lack of flex) which is overall safer. Teetering on just 2 tires is a great recipe for body damage or other issues until you've gained experience.

The Bronco will disable sway bar disconnect at about ~20mph for the non Raptor versions, so you'll never not have the sway bar engaged when it is needed (high speeds).

OP
OP

darinhouston

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here's what I'm getting at...

With IFS, the frame isn't going to be lifted as much as a SFA and so you won't get as much clearance help by putting a tire over an obstacle as you will with the SFA. So, if that's true (and it seems clear that it is) then it seems like flex is not your friend when it comes to clearing your diff/axles/frame. If I'm misunderstanding something basic, please explain. I'm still learning.

Ford Bronco Sta-Bar Disconnect / Articulation ---  is it best not to disconnect the sta-bar in some circumstances? 1680180432726

Yamapro

Wildtrak
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The swaybar isn’t needed on the Bronco.

Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why do you say that?
Lot of guys permanently delete their sway bars. IMO not a good idea if you plan to be driving down the highway 70+mph and have to make evasive maneuvers.

OP
OP

darinhouston

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lot of guys permanently delete their sway bars. IMO not a good idea if you plan to be driving down the highway 70+mph and have to make evasive maneuvers.
It's unclear to me whether he means you don't need the sway bar at all? Or if he's saying you don't need the disconnect? If he's saying we don't need them at all, that's against all safety and handling knowledge I'm aware of. My question is about off-road performance.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's unclear to me whether he means you don't need the sway bar at all? Or if he's saying you don't need the disconnect? If he's saying we don't need them at all, that's against all safety and handling knowledge I'm aware of. My question is about off-road performance.
I do believe he means you don't need it at all. Many have deleted the rear sway bar and there have been a couple of threads of people deleting the front as well.

I understand what you are asking and on paper makes sense in the situation you describe however the idea of the sway bar disconnect is to give additional flex to keep a wheel planted on the ground.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don't over think it. The more flex a vehicle has the better ability it has to keep all 4 wheels on the ground and engaged when going over an obstacle. The more wheels that are on the ground the more power and stability you will have.

For example, when I put a wheel on a high part of an obstacle, I can lift the body to gain clearance over other parts of that obstacle.
I understand your thought process here but don't think it translates in a real world scenario. Keeping all four wheels engaged will help power over the obstacle, rather than trying to lift the rear over the obstacle using less flex. Best to keep everything on the ground if possible and use rock sliders and skid plates for protection for those times you need to drag yourself over an obstacle.

OP
OP

darinhouston

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don't over think it. The more flex a vehicle has the better ability it has to keep all 4 wheels on the ground and engaged when going over an obstacle. The more wheels that are on the ground the more power and stability you will have.

I understand your thought process here but don't think it translates in a real world scenario. Keeping all four wheels engaged will help power over the obstacle, rather than trying to lift the rear over the obstacle using less flex. Best to keep everything on the ground if possible and use rock sliders and skid plates for protection for those times you need to drag yourself over an obstacle.
Sounds reasonable

Sponsored

Yamapro

Wildtrak
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Why do you say that?
The IFS and limited travel doesn’t allow for enough body roll. I removed my swaybar on the first day I had the Bronco. I can take turns on the interstate at 80mph or ride trails all day and not once have I felt it was needed. Even after I installed the long travel on my Bronco there still isn’t any noticeable body roll.

OP
OP

darinhouston

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wonder if there is a forscan speed mod (say 45)

omg_bbq

Black Diamond
First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 EG BD SAS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The IFS and limited travel doesn’t allow for enough body roll. I removed my swaybar on the first day I had the Bronco. I can take turns on the interstate at 80mph or ride trails all day and not once have I felt it was needed. Even after I installed the long travel on my Bronco there still isn’t any noticeable body roll.
It's so tempting, I desperately want to drive one before doing the work on mine to see if it feels sketchy. Does/did your truck have a rear swaybar?

Yamapro

Wildtrak
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It's so tempting, I desperately want to drive one before doing the work on mine to see if it feels sketchy. Does/did your truck have a rear swaybar?
No rear swaybar on mine. Just take it off and try it, it’s like a 5 minute job.
Sponsored