Sponsored

Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns.

xmod

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, Toyo 4Runner TRD, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Besides the horrible reliability of the newer model Land Rovers, the highest in the industry mechanic labor rates, I just saw one up close and it looks like crap.

Grooticus

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ineos Grenadier. Now you can wait impatiently for 2 super amazing someday will get produced off roaders

Sponsored

Elwood

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The desk in my home office
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I feel like you ripped these thoughts directly out of my brain, other than the fact that I have a pretty early reservation. Have thought pretty much the exact same thing.

A few things.

The Defender will be:
  • much nicer/ quieter to be inside of and drive long distances in
  • more rare, and more of an event when you see one on the road- it's more of an "elite" car for better or worse
  • more unique with white roof and wheels, third front seat, alpine windows, etc. (aftermarket notwithstanding for Bronco)
  • in your driveway in the spring
The Bronco will be:
  • more fun, with a removable roof and doors
  • more durable/ likely cheaper to maintain and fix
  • as a result of the above, more likely to actually be used off road, given lower fear of damage or of breakdowns in the middle of nowhere
  • more of an everyman car, that will get less attention after flooding the roads, but maybe more positive attention overall- it's a happy car
  • in your driveway...one day?
Up front prices are likely to be in the same ballpark if you were going to load up a Badlands like me, but the long run cost of ownership may likely be higher with the Land Rover. You probably want to warranty yourself well with the Defender.

I'd recommend you take a look at Doug Demuro and TFL's videos on YouTube for the Defender and go from there. Think it comes down to being honest with yourself about what you really want/need.

Demuro has had many Land Rovers/ Defenders, and currently has multiple convertible trucks. He says himself that his experiences and memories in those cars (old Defender and G-Wagen) were something he'd never forget, and that he got the latest Defender as it was more practical for how he planned to use it.

Last edited:

618TRVLWILD

Big Bend
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Sasquatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Don't do it!! You don't want no stinking LR!! Or maybe you do!! Takes a step up in line!! ??

Ford Bronco Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns. b24f989491b526e69f4f1d5e43e68e8e

JGuske23

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep compass
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After watching the TFL guys go through 3 (1st, their special order, needed a new engine at 126 miles, 2nd was totaled by wire harness being damaged at dealership installing a factory winch, and the 3rd threw a air suspension code during the reveal video!) different defenders for a total of 162 miles I wouldn't go near a defender at any cost.

Sponsored

GoldenKnight

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Seriously though.

Is there anything I can say or do that might help push you to cancelling your Bronco reservation?

Please, let me know.
Tell him about how reliable and easy maintenance is on Land Rovers, and their wide network of dealers also makes any warranty issues a breeze to handle.

That_Hal

Badlands
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 and Volvo S90
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am ? with you on this. I have even gone and test drove 2 of them and really like them. Trouble I have is the quality control that seems to be a pretty regularly occurrence.

FishKzor

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Every time I go to YouTube, there's videos plastered everywhere about Defender owners getting their brand new vehicles replaced due to problems.

It definitely looks cool though.

Reminds me of the early 2000s Toyota Celica ad campaign: "Looks Fast"
Ford Bronco Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns. celica

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So hear me out. I really, really, really want a Bronco. BUT, a combination of things is pushing me away:
1) I am a late reservation holder already, so with the latest news from Ford I am very disheartened about probably having to wait till calendar year 22 to get my manual Sasquatch badlands
2) I am frustrated that the only interior choices on the badlands are black
3) I am frustrated that Ford is not offering a green color (CG doesn't count)
4) Equipped the way I want, with all the goodies I want, the Badlands I have been planning to order will top $60K (I am a business owner and will be using this vehicle for marketing purposes/tax right off)

so...

1) I think I can get a Defender much, much sooner as they are already on the streets
2) The Defender has a strikingly similar interior design to the Bronco but with nicer materials and colors, I can get white headliner & seats
3) I can get a Defender in Green, WITH A WHITE ROOF AND WHITE STEEL WHEELS!
4) While certainly more expensive than a fully loaded Bronco Badlands, the Defender isn't nearly as expensive as you might think it'd be, especially when you think about all the aftermarket 'investments' I'd want to do to the Bronco; AND you can equip it with some pretty cool accessories from the factory that the Bronco does not offer (for example, a functioning snorkel, air ride suspension, integrated air compressor (Ford's is a separate ARB piece you have to mount yourself if you want it onboard), integrated ladder, a sliding glass panoramic roof that still functions under their roof rack, and on and on).

I realize that the combination of factory 35"s and a manual transmission can't be had on the Defender, but I don't really 'need' 35's, and I'd be willing to sacrifice the Manny tranny to get my off-roader no later than summer and possibly in the spring. Also aesthetically I think the Bronco looks better, but the new Defender design has really grown on me and I don't think its a bad looking vehicle at all.

Am I crazy? Do I need to be talked from the edge? or does the Defender push your buttons too? Do these pictures rustle your feathers as they do mine? Anybody have LR horror stories to share and scare me away from the Land Rover? (also I would probably go the 4 door 110 route vs the two door 90 route but couldn't find cool action shots of a white roofed white wheeled green 110 playing in the countryside)

Sounds like you're getting a Defender! Congratulations ? ? ?

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson Sportster
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So. Having seen one of these, I now understand why all the photos only show the front.

Have ya'll seen the back of these? The placement of the lights and styling of it as a whole is laughable as hell for a $75k+ rig.
Sponsored